Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 PM

223 posts, read 391,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Focus on solving the roots of the social problems...

A good start would be improving the education system ... But since the people of Wisconsin keep supporting the weasel in Madison, that definitely won't be happening any time soon ... Cause you know, teachers are terrorists and all lol.

I wish high schools would go back to having some trade classes... Auto, shop, electrical... Give the kids something different to learn ... maybe give them some kind of interest in something that may keep them from trouble. Who knows...
I agree with you here, but as I've been saying, Wisconsin's problem is that its voting patterns reflect that for every Milwaukee or Madison, there's a few dozen Waukeshas, Janesvilles, and Sheboygans.

Just another example of how people outside of the city who think they have all the answers tend to worsen Milwaukee's social problems, then demand that "someone else" solve them RIGHT NOW while pointing the finger at us for everything that's wrong with Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
^ Persecution complex

Old 06-04-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ Persecution complex
Riiight....

Read the comments on JSOnline sometime, then tell me that's not a very real attitude in Wisconsin.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM

There is. Agreed. But I also read your comments on C-D, and find them to be just as bigoted and narrow-minded.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
There is. Agreed. But I also read your comments on C-D, and find them to be just as bigoted and narrow-minded.
Except my comments are clearly a REACTION to attitudes like the ones expressed at JSOnline.

And if you insist on using words like bigoted, you should probably learn what they actually mean. Calling out attitudes and viewpoints that people CHOOSE to have is not bigotry.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 PM

big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
I'm tolerant to many opinions that differ from my own.

But idea held that many outside of the city have that Milwaukee is perpetually South Central LA during the crack trade? That's not an opinion, it's and out and out lie, whether they know and admit it or not.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
I'm tolerant to many opinions that differ from my own.

But idea held that many outside of the city have that Milwaukee is perpetually South Central LA during the crack trade? That's not an opinion, it's and out and out lie, whether they know and admit it or not.
Lets not kid ourselves here. A resident of Milwaukee takes far more abuse towards their hometown than the rest of the state combined. Many take pride in degrading the city, as if it makes them feel better concerning wherever they reside. We have all heard the old - "I haven't crossed 124th street in X amount of time", as if it's a badge of honor or something. There is nothing like taking pride in being sheltered and ignorant.

I find it strange they judge Milwaukee on it's worst aspect and extrapolate this over the entire city as if 20th and Center is the same as Lake Dr and Newberry.

Really the worst is the complete insensitive nature in the way they insult us. Never giving any thought to our homes, neighborhoods, schools, churches, groups etc. Never taking the time to think through the investment we have in the above mentioned and how insulting it is.

God help us if we push back. It's as if they have carte blanche to insult, as if it is a given that Milwaukee is a crime ridden slum and insulting it is only stating the obvious.

It's good thing I have thick skin, because I love putting them on the spot, such as please explain this to me in detail, I would really like to know more and then the fun begins.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Lets not kid ourselves here. A resident of Milwaukee takes far more abuse towards their hometown than the rest of the state combined. Many take pride in degrading the city, as if it makes them feel better concerning wherever they reside. We have all heard the old - "I haven't crossed 124th street in X amount of time", as if it's a badge of honor or something. There is nothing like taking pride in being sheltered and ignorant.

I find it strange they judge Milwaukee on it's worst aspect and extrapolate this over the entire city as if 20th and Center is the same as Lake Dr and Newberry.

Really the worst is the complete insensitive nature in the way they insult us. Never giving any thought to our homes, neighborhoods, schools, churches, groups etc. Never taking the time to think through the investment we have in the above mentioned and how insulting it is.

God help us if we push back. It's as if they have carte blanche to insult, as if it is a given that Milwaukee is a crime ridden slum and insulting it is only stating the obvious.

It's good thing I have thick skin, because I love putting them on the spot, such as please explain this to me in detail, I would really like to know more and then the fun begins.
I used to know an elderly couple from Mequon who often said that they refused to travel south of Silver Spring because they "could get shot." At first I didn't really believe them, but they meant it. It's amazing, isn't it? Maybe a yuppie at Starbucks would throw a shot of espresso at them, but they apparently really believed that people (probably "blacks") were lined up, ready to take down elderly white folks from the burbs. Unreal.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I used to know an elderly couple from Mequon who often said that they refused to travel south of Silver Spring because they "could get shot." At first I didn't really believe them, but they meant it. It's amazing, isn't it? Maybe a yuppie at Starbucks would throw a shot of espresso at them, but they apparently really believed that people (probably "blacks") were lined up, ready to take down elderly white folks from the burbs. Unreal.
Lol, the visual I get is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee