Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 10,371 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I'm formally coming out of lurker status because my wife and I are relocating to the Milwaukee area. We're really looking forward to it, but are admittedly not very knowledgeable about the region other than driving through on our way to our vacation house near Waupaca.

A little about us: We're a 30-something couple with no kids right now. I'm originally from Portland, OR and have lived on the west coast and in the city of Chicago. My wife is a native of Chicago; we met at school in CA. We're outdoors people by nature and love spending time at our vacation house or on hiking/biking trails. While we currently live in Bannockburn (suburb of Chicago), we originally lived in the city and loved it. We moved up to the suburbs because it was closer to our jobs at the time, but we thought we'd enjoy the suburbs more than we actually do. My will be just north of Downtown Milwaukee and my wife telecommutes.

Since we're starting with a clean slate and a budget of $600k, we're trying to get as much as possible and we feel that our money will go a little farther in Mlwaukee. Here is what we are aiming for: A nice, safe, inner ring suburb or residential city area with single family homes, streets and sidewalks. We aren't fans of new construction and would love one of the better built, older homes that we seem to be finding in the northeast part of the city "East Side", Shorewood, and one area of Watusi near a little village. But we like the proximity to Lake Michigan and want to stay farther east. It would be great to be within walknig distance to the lake and grocery stores and restaurants. We don't mind driving but we'd love to be able to have a choice!

Politically we're somewhat neutral. We don't mind a socially diverse area, not afraid of gay friendly areas or liberal areas either. One thing that concerns us is the current political and economic climate of Wisconsin. We aren't concerned about our own jobs, but a state with poor economic development is a risky investment from a property owner's perspective. It seems like it's been very politically active and that people don't like your future President Scott Walker (j/k), even though he runs a state like a champ when you compare him to the inmates running our asylum in Illinois! Are politics tearing neighborhoods apart there like it seems?

Also, how bad is the ghetto in Milwaukee. We get that crime doesn't flow into the nicer areas, but it looks like Milwaukee is taking after Chicago and shooting itself to death. The problems appear to be demographically consistent with violence on the South Side of Chicago (poor uneducated minorities). I don't want to spur a gun control debate, but we both love that Wisconsin has adopted more constitutionally compliant gun laws that benefit honest good people!!! We would obviously avoid the bad areas like the one we drove through last year when we got stuck ni traffic and took a detour! Assure us that crime is very contained in Milwaukee and that we have nothing to worry about!

We're not particularly religious but don't object to people who have faith either. We are very friendly and down to earth. We love friendly neighborhoods and people.

So, people of Milwaukee, known to be so friendly and outgoing, where is our "best fit"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 01:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtab94 View Post
Since we're starting with a clean slate and a budget of $600k, we're trying to get as much as possible and we feel that our money will go a little farther in Mlwaukee.
Healthy budget for a childless couple moving to Milwaukee.
Quote:
Here is what we are aiming for: A nice, safe, inner ring suburb or residential city area with single family homes, streets and sidewalks. We aren't fans of new construction and would love one of the better built, older homes that we seem to be finding in the northeast part of the city "East Side", Shorewood
East side, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay (WFB), Fox River Hills and Fox Point have this era of architecture while being near the lake. Wauwatosa (‘Tosa) has similar architecture but is more inland…and still in the action
Quote:
But we like the proximity to Lake Michigan and want to stay farther east. It would be great to be within walknig distance to the lake and grocery stores and restaurants. We don't mind driving but we'd love to be able to have a choice!
You would like the “Upper East Side” near Murray Hill and East. $600k will get you a nice SFR within walking distance of Downer Ave, where there are both high and mid-range grocery stores and great local restaurants.

Quote:
Politically we're somewhat neutral. We don't mind a socially diverse area, not afraid of gay friendly areas or liberal areas either. One thing that concerns us is the current political and economic climate of Wisconsin. We aren't concerned about our own jobs, but a state with poor economic development is a risky investment from a property owner's perspective. It seems like it's been very politically active and that people don't like your future President Scott Walker (j/k), even though he runs a state like a champ when you compare him to the inmates running our asylum in Illinois! Are politics tearing neighborhoods apart there like it seems?
Nope. Lots of diversity throughout Milwaukee. The ‘burbs are inherently more conservative although the affluence of the East Side caters a similar mindset. People in Milwaukee are very tolerant and based on your synopsis; you’ll be very comfortable in the areas aforementioned.

Property values in the Milwaukee area have been steadily rising, partly fueled by the generous quantity of national headquarters situated in the area.

Quote:
Also, how bad is the ghetto in Milwaukee. We get that crime doesn't flow into the nicer areas, but it looks like Milwaukee is taking after Chicago and shooting itself to death. The problems appear to be demographically consistent with violence on the South Side of Chicago (poor uneducated minorities). I don't want to spur a gun control debate, but we both love that Wisconsin has adopted more constitutionally compliant gun laws that benefit honest good people!!! We would obviously avoid the bad areas like the one we drove through last year when we got stuck ni traffic and took a detour! Assure us that crime is very contained in Milwaukee and that we have nothing to worry about!
After you spend some quality time traveling throughout Milwaukee, you’ll see that the neighborhoods change FAST. Milwaukee was the most segregated city in the country for some ~11yrs running and this stat quietly flew under the radar for years. I think Detroit has us “beat” now. Keep your doors locked and drive down Wisconsin Ave, from the Lake to Brookfield….and you’ll see how the scenery changes every five blocks.

Concealed carry is a big thing in SE WI. I find even those with a liberal mindset often have their CCW. Polar opposites to Chicago where having a concealed carry permit is more of an annoyance than a benefit.

Quote:
We're not particularly religious but don't object to people who have faith either. We are very friendly and down to earth. We love friendly neighborhoods and people.
People around here Live and Let Live. I don’t know if you’ve spent significant time in Los Angeles but I split my time between Milwaukee and LA, finding the two to have oddly similar mindsets. I mean that in a good way.

Based on your write up, you’ll like it here

Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
I did not exactly got it whether you got a job in Milwaukee or expect to keep your job in Chicago (I understood your wife telecommutes and plans to keep her job). I'd say if you want to commute to Chicago for work, expect it to be a long one. And if you plan to find a job in Milwaukee, then I would not recommend to buy a house until you know exactly location of your new job

Real Estate prices aren't going as much up or down, as in Chicago, or god forbid East/West Coast.

Hopefully, even if jobs would run from Milwaukee for whatever unfriendly political environment into better states, there will be enough jobs willing to run from Chicago into Milwaukee (for the same reasons). Wisconsin is one of the battlegrounds between R and D, which makes us sort of "neutral" in that regard.

Milwaukee ghetto is more or less safe, as long as you drive through it during the day, and not hanging there. You wouldn't have to deal with this issue, if you buy your house on the East Side, north of Downtown.

Don't let national politics decide for your personal economic situation Politicians come and go, your personal life isn't as much affected by them. Milwaukeans are mostly liberal in poor neighborhoods, but generally lean more conservative along the East Side. But there's enough diversity around, that any honest opinion would not be ostracized.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
The East Side is "conservative?"

Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sen Alberta Darling

Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Strictly speaking of non-transient residents in SFR's, I believe so. Here's my moderately objective view based on the years I spent living on Hackett Ave throughout the 2008/2012 elections. By no means is this backed by voting registration stats.

Attached Thumbnails
Incoming from Chicago!-east-side.jpg  

Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 PM

By the way; love the user name, fishtab94!

Old 07-15-2015, 03:59 PM

78 posts, read 229,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Sen Alberta Darling
Darling's district is mostly in Ozaukee, Washington, and part of Waukesha counties. It includes part of the north shore suburbs down to Whitefish Bay, but WFB is pretty purple. It hardly means that the east side is "conservative."

For anyone interested in neighborhood by neighborhood political leanings, the Journal Sentinel's recent series "Dividing Lines" includes some great interactive maps showing the 2012 presidential race on a ward-by-ward level:

Dividing Lines | Special Report - Democratic, Republican voters worlds apart in divided Wisconsin

The east side of Milwaukee voted *at least* 63%-35% in favor of Obama in 2012.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:18 PM

78 posts, read 229,367 times
Quote:
Since we're starting with a clean slate and a budget of $600k, we're trying to get as much as possible and we feel that our money will go a little farther in Mlwaukee. Here is what we are aiming for: A nice, safe, inner ring suburb or residential city area with single family homes, streets and sidewalks. We aren't fans of new construction and would love one of the better built, older homes that we seem to be finding in the northeast part of the city "East Side", Shorewood, and one area of Watusi near a little village. But we like the proximity to Lake Michigan and want to stay farther east. It would be great to be within walknig distance to the lake and grocery stores and restaurants. We don't mind driving but we'd love to be able to have a choice!
It sounds like your best fit is probably Shorewood or Whitefish Bay. They are very similar in many respects but some minor differences to a local. Shorewood has been more aggressive with mixed-use development on its main street, Oakland Avenue, and so there are more restaurants, pubs, etc. on that stretch than you will find in Whitefish Bay. Shorewood has a bit more population density and probably a bit on the younger side overall due to more apartment & condo buildings and being closer in to Milwaukee. However, both are very popular with families with kids because both have excellent school districts.

The east side of Milwaukee is also very nice, *however*, depending on the particular neighborhood many of the single family homes are in fact rental properties, primarily to UWM undergrads. More issues with parking, noise/partying, etc. I would not call the east side "unsafe," HOWEVER, I think Shorewood and Whitefish Bay are comparatively safer, especially because of the benefit of more responsive suburban police departments.

I would not count out the Bay View neighborhood of Milwaukee; for your budget, you can probably find a similar home very close to the lake, and down there some of the homes right on the lake have stunning views of Downtown Milwaukee. I'm thinking of S. Shore St. and S. Superior Ave. in particular.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM

I would say that WFB is very boring Walkable, friendly, but boring. Good for families with kids.
In that sense, I'd say Shorewood, or area around Brady Street, or Walkers Point or 3rd Ward or Bay View, offer more fun for a couple without children. When it would be time for kids to go to school (at least 5 years from now), house can be sold and new one purchased in more quiet hoods, such as WFB, Fox Point, Bay Side or River Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee