Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 AM

8 posts, read 8,346 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ozaukee county, but want to put my 5 year old kids into an elementary school (hoping to start next year for K5, or Kindergarten) that offers learning different languages. I know there's French and Spanish Immersion schools in Milwaukee, but heard that the German Immersion School is the best. I am also aware of the 220 Program where I can apply to schools outside of my current district, and have the kids bussed to Milwaukee.

That said, does anyone have any input or can offer some reflection on the topic? I'm just not sure what schools are better than others in Milwaukee, and cannot find any decent ones in Ozaukee County that offer language classes for young kids. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 AM

253 posts, read 391,275 times
German Immersion is the way to go! Test scores are higher, and many of the students go on to take more AP/gifted and talented classes in middle and high school. The curriculum can be challenging, but try to get as much support as you possibly can. Also, I would encourage you to visit each school before you make a decision.

Milwaukee German Immersion School - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - WI - School overview

Milwaukee French Immersion School - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - WI - School overview

Milwaukee Spanish Immersion School - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - WI - School overview

Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 AM

8 posts, read 8,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomkay View Post
German Immersion is the way to go! Test scores are higher, and many of the students go on to take more AP/gifted and talented classes in middle and high school. The curriculum can be challenging, but try to get as much support as you possibly can. Also, I would encourage you to visit each school before you make a decision.

Milwaukee German Immersion School - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - WI - School overview

Milwaukee French Immersion School - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - WI - School overview

Milwaukee Spanish Immersion School - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - WI - School overview

Thanks, Zoomkay! I don't speak German at all, so is this a problem? I didn't know if that would have an affect if I need to help with the kids' homework...

Old 10-16-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevernot21 View Post
Thanks, Zoomkay! I don't speak German at all, so is this a problem? I didn't know if that would have an affect if I need to help with the kids' homework...
No, you do not need to know how to speak German or come from a German speaking household. It may be a little difficult to help with homework, but a good German/English dictionary and downloading Duolingo (my favorite Android/Apple language app) will make it fun for all of you.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:27 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,286,324 times
From what I recall, Governor Walker and the Legislature put Chapter 220 on the chopping block for the 2015=2017 budget. I hope that isn't the case, though; it seems like a successful program.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:41 PM

11 posts, read 8,827 times
Default Milwaukee french immersion rules!

Have many family members at German, but wanted to take a different route with my kids and chose MFIS and have had no regrets!

German may have better scores IDK, but I would suggest you do a tour or Open House for both and make your decision based on your personal preference!

The school's locations may be a factor and MFIS has K4, not sure if German does?

Teachers fight to get into MFIS and they stay!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 PM

Just to clarify, if you currently live in Ozaukee, you can open enroll (under the State open enrollment program) your children into a MPS school if there are seats available. Chapter 220 program only applies to children who live in the City of Milwaukee and want to attend suburban schools. If this program is cut, I am not sure how it will impact open enrollment. Also, under the open enrollment program parents may be responsible for transportation to and from the school. It just depends on the district.

If you decide to move to Milwaukee, none of the above will matter.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,983,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevernot21 View Post
Our kids went to the French Immersion School and we never had a problem with helping with homework.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:23 AM

31 posts, read 46,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomkay View Post
Just to clarify, if you currently live in Ozaukee, you can open enroll (under the State open enrollment program) your children into a MPS school if there are seats available. Chapter 220 program only applies to children who live in the City of Milwaukee and want to attend suburban schools. If this program is cut, I am not sure how it will impact open enrollment. Also, under the open enrollment program parents may be responsible for transportation to and from the school. It just depends on the district.

If you decide to move to Milwaukee, none of the above will matter.

This actually isn't true. Chapter 220 is to diversify schools. So it's for minorities to go to schools in the suburbs that are mostly white and for white children of the suburbs to go to MPS schools that are mostly minorities. Check out MPS's website for more information. I would just call and see if your situation would qualify under 220.

As for the schools, I have friends who have children in all of the MPS language schools and they love them! One family actually lives in a city with a great school district but choose the French school instead! I know that there can be quite a waiting list for the Spanish school.

Link to MPS page about Chapter 220 (hopefully it works, if not just go to MPS webpage and under the schools tab is a tab for out of district) : MPS: Chapter 220

Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvthepackers View Post
This actually isn't true. Chapter 220 is to diversify schools. So it's for minorities to go to schools in the suburbs that are mostly white and for white children of the suburbs to go to MPS schools that are mostly minorities. Check out MPS's website for more information. I would just call and see if your situation would qualify under 220.

As for the schools, I have friends who have children in all of the MPS language schools and they love them! One family actually lives in a city with a great school district but choose the French school instead! I know that there can be quite a waiting list for the Spanish school.

Link to MPS page about Chapter 220 (hopefully it works, if not just go to MPS webpage and under the schools tab is a tab for out of district) : MPS: Chapter 220
Thanks for the correction. I'm not that familiar with Chapter 220, only open enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: