Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is how I see it. I have friends of the family in Brown Deer. They apparently like the place. I think the bashing of Brown Deer is partially racial.
Taxes are high but as far as complaints that would be the only one. The bad rap comes from people who automatically think north side=unsafe. Brown Deer could dress up Bradley rd. a bit though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM

204 posts, read 752,367 times
Quote:
What would you say the average value for a home in Brown Deer would be?
Per the latest assessments, median was about $170K. I'd say average would probably be about $30K higher or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City
The bad rap comes from people who automatically think north side=unsafe. Brown Deer could dress up Bradley rd. a bit though.
Agreed on both parts. Bradley Rd is in the process of getting a makeover, but it'll be a while before they're able to fix up the rundown part (which is by no means dangerous) where the Salvation Army and other shops are. More than all though, they need better PR to combat the ignorati. If the village could effectively get out the information that a.) Brown Deer ain't Northridge and b.) Northridge isn't even that bad anymore, that would be huge. It won't help the people who are utterly convinced that some imaginary, arbitrary lines in the county determine safety, but it's a good start.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Per the latest assessments, median was about $170K. I'd say average would probably be about $30K higher or more.

Agreed on both parts. Bradley Rd is in the process of getting a makeover, but it'll be a while before they're able to fix up the rundown part (which is by no means dangerous) where the Salvation Army and other shops are. More than all though, they need better PR to combat the ignorati. If the village could effectively get out the information that a.) Brown Deer ain't Northridge and b.) Northridge isn't even that bad anymore, that would be huge. It won't help the people who are utterly convinced that some imaginary, arbitrary lines in the county determine safety, but it's a good start.
I read about Northridge. Stores going belly-up didn't give me a shock. Jesse Anderson killing his wife and blaming it on blacks was something I didn't know. Northridge is still reeling from that.

I checked the stats for Brown Deer. It is much safer than many people would even believe. Crime rate below national average and no murders since 1999.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Taxes are high but as far as complaints that would be the only one. The bad rap comes from people who automatically think north side=unsafe. Brown Deer could dress up Bradley rd. a bit though.
Do you think Brown Deer should annex Bradley Rd and fix it up?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Do you think Brown Deer should annex Bradley Rd and fix it up?
All the land in Milwaukee County is spoken for, hence un-annexable.

The business-zoned properties on Bradley east of 47th St have been razed and are slowly being re-developed. There are several newly built business locations at the intersection of Sherman & Bradley that have remained empty next to a barber shop, insurance agent, and fitness center, so I'm not sure if the pace of re-development is slowed down exclusively by the recession or if there are other overriding factors. West of 47th contains a dated strip mall consising of a Salvation Army, a dance studio, and several other small shops I wouldn't in my life frequent solely due to lack of interest. The buildings need a facelift and parking lot resurfacing, but I'm not sure if there's a demand for the change. Further west on the corner of 51st & Bradley is a newer senior apartment that looks pretty nice. With more senior housing being built at Tuetonia & Bradley, I'd think this area is just screaming for either a Walgreen's or a CVS being built within walking distance of several hundred of their most desirable customers. Perhaps that would be the catalyst to renovate the Salvation Army property. West of 51st all the way to 68th is a split border between Brown Deer and Milwaukee. South end is Milwaukee and the north end is BD. 51st - 55th are exclusively residential on both sides, but the fenced-in back yards are the facing the street. 56th - 60th contains the public library and high school fields in Brown Deer and the back end of an elementary school in Milwaukee. A pond/creek flows through the middle on both sides. West of 60th is back-yard residential for Brown Deer and (in order) Gas Station, 70s-era apartments, and 90s-era senior living on the Milwaukee side.

The streets are clean and relatively smooth, but streetscaping is somewhat lacking. The village went with a perplexing bluish-green color for the streetlights that clashes with the greenery of nature and the brown of the street signs. A dark brown or a solid black would have looked much better. The paint probably isn't at the level where it needs to be replaced, so we're stuck with it for the timebeing.

None of this probably means much to you being an out-of-stater, but I thought I'd share in case you or anyone else has information/comments/opinions. One of these days, I'm going to go through these threads and address the base misperceptions and other miscellaneous falsehoods that went unchallenged. Just got to wait for another slow workday.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
All the land in Milwaukee County is spoken for, hence un-annexable.

The business-zoned properties on Bradley east of 47th St have been razed and are slowly being re-developed. There are several newly built business locations at the intersection of Sherman & Bradley that have remained empty next to a barber shop, insurance agent, and fitness center, so I'm not sure if the pace of re-development is slowed down exclusively by the recession or if there are other overriding factors. West of 47th contains a dated strip mall consising of a Salvation Army, a dance studio, and several other small shops I wouldn't in my life frequent solely due to lack of interest. The buildings need a facelift and parking lot resurfacing, but I'm not sure if there's a demand for the change. Further west on the corner of 51st & Bradley is a newer senior apartment that looks pretty nice. With more senior housing being built at Tuetonia & Bradley, I'd think this area is just screaming for either a Walgreen's or a CVS being built within walking distance of several hundred of their most desirable customers. Perhaps that would be the catalyst to renovate the Salvation Army property. West of 51st all the way to 68th is a split border between Brown Deer and Milwaukee. South end is Milwaukee and the north end is BD. 51st - 55th are exclusively residential on both sides, but the fenced-in back yards are the facing the street. 56th - 60th contains the public library and high school fields in Brown Deer and the back end of an elementary school in Milwaukee. A pond/creek flows through the middle on both sides. West of 60th is back-yard residential for Brown Deer and (in order) Gas Station, 70s-era apartments, and 90s-era senior living on the Milwaukee side.

The streets are clean and relatively smooth, but streetscaping is somewhat lacking. The village went with a perplexing bluish-green color for the streetlights that clashes with the greenery of nature and the brown of the street signs. A dark brown or a solid black would have looked much better. The paint probably isn't at the level where it needs to be replaced, so we're stuck with it for the timebeing.

None of this probably means much to you being an out-of-stater, but I thought I'd share in case you or anyone else has information/comments/opinions. One of these days, I'm going to go through these threads and address the base misperceptions and other miscellaneous falsehoods that went unchallenged. Just got to wait for another slow workday.
All of this means something to me because Milwaukee is my father's hometown, born and raised. I think he would be happy to hear that Milwaukee's violent crime rate has dropped recently and that Brown Deer is a nice place to live. He is thinking about returning to Milwaukee to retire. I think Brown Deer would be a good place for him to live. I have sometimes thought about moving to Milwaukee because I often imagine myself as a businessman participating in a revival of jobs and rebuilding(as well as reviving the rest of the "Rust Belt region".
I think the dated strip mall could use some new stores. One plan I have thought of in my head is if there was an incentive to starting a small business like a coffee shop.
A barbershop does sound nice. I have only had my hair cut at a barbershop twice in my life. One of those times was when I was a baby on summer vacation in Milwaukee.
The 70's era apartments, well , I think they need to be rebuilt because apartments get old fast. My worry is for the residents who live the apartments and where they would live in the time being if the apartments were to be renovated(or demolished in favor for new apartment buildings).
Public library nearby is very helpful to me because I like to read books.
Now clean streets, that is something that means alot to me. I love it when a place is clean. Where I live,(metro Atlanta), littering is considered a common practice and I get very irritated when I see garbage everywhere, and littering occurs in higher income areas too, so clean streets are something I like.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Added comments about clean streets.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 14,595 times
Default Inner city , on the way down.

Brown Deer.I have lived here for 12 years and all I can say is that it is lower class , extremely racist ( anti-white ) and falling apart at the seams. The village does not enforce its by-laws other than speeding.
Apparently my name is either cracker of white trash. I did not know this.
It is noisy at night with stereo cruisers into the early morning hours . The stores offer offensive outright nasty service .
The education level is low.
In general the houses seem to be packed to capacity often with unrelated people.
An old converted farm house across the street to me has seen at least sixty tenants in the twelve years I have been here. Attempted homicide , cuttings , meth cookers , fistfights , a cigarette sales business an exotic pet zoo and public drunkness all across the street to my house. At one point twenty five people lived on one floor , I counted them . From my window I have seen people smoking the biggest reefers you could imagine and lying flat on their face drunk in the yard.
It's all par for the course. I would not raise a child here , you could not pay me enough.
The twelve years here have taught me much about this lovely place.

It is cheap , it is not safe , it is noisy. There has been a semi-permanent pile of trash across the street to me and a tree as big as the house in that yard has been dead for three seasons. Brown Deer said it's none of their business. Arborists call these trees widowmakers for a reason.

As I said it's cheap . That's it.
The taxes , nearly six grand , pay for what I ask ??? I really don't see anything back for my money.

Folks visiting me from Oakland Ca. were shocked at the noise and poor condition of the housing. Oakland for goodness sakes .

I would give the village about ten more years before it founders and becomes another part of MKE.

Last edited by foreigner2; 08-17-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Missed something.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 14,595 times
Darn it I missed the bit about the neighbors in the apartments using the yard as a toilet. Silly me to forget. But that was two years ago and others have come and gone since then.
I still haven't found out who poured oil all over my trees that year either.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreigner2 View Post
Brown Deer.I have lived here for 12 years and all I can say is that it is lower class , extremely racist ( anti-white ) and falling apart at the seams. The village does not enforce its by-laws other than speeding.
Apparently my name is either cracker of white trash. I did not know this.
It is noisy at night with stereo cruisers into the early morning hours . The stores offer offensive outright nasty service .
The education level is low.
In general the houses seem to be packed to capacity often with unrelated people.
An old converted farm house across the street to me has seen at least sixty tenants in the twelve years I have been here. Attempted homicide , cuttings , meth cookers , fistfights , a cigarette sales business an exotic pet zoo and public drunkness all across the street to my house. At one point twenty five people lived on one floor , I counted them . From my window I have seen people smoking the biggest reefers you could imagine and lying flat on their face drunk in the yard.
It's all par for the course. I would not raise a child here , you could not pay me enough.
The twelve years here have taught me much about this lovely place.

It is cheap , it is not safe , it is noisy. There has been a semi-permanent pile of trash across the street to me and a tree as big as the house in that yard has been dead for three seasons. Brown Deer said it's none of their business. Arborists call these trees widowmakers for a reason.

As I said it's cheap . That's it.
The taxes , nearly six grand , pay for what I ask ??? I really don't see anything back for my money.

Folks visiting me from Oakland Ca. were shocked at the noise and poor condition of the housing. Oakland for goodness sakes .

I would give the village about ten more years before it founders and becomes another part of MKE.
Hello foreigner2. What you are describing is anecdotal and contrary to the experiences of many others in this thread. That you think the Police Department is 'racist against whites' (why any rational person would believe an institution made up primarily of white people to be biased against themselves is beyond me...) damages your credibility and makes many of your other outlandish claims hard to fathom, at minimum.

Regarding traffic noise, if you live on a busy road that's par for the course. All residential streets are monitored for excessive noise and I've seen it enforced personally. Perhaps if you were more pro-active and/or polite with the authorities, they would be more apt to take your complaints seriously.

You say it's "cheap", while reality is it's "affordable", and affordable is a very relative term at that. The community south of Brown Deer Road is vastly made up of what can be loosely considered 3BDR "starter homes". There is a real market for that in this economy. However, these homes do run around $150K+. The $1K monthly payment + escrow that coincides with that price should not be considered cheap by any means for anyone who's ever worked for a living. If you really think otherwise, I just don't know what to tell you. Your use of cheap carries the wrong implication. You're not seeing property values diminish. You're not seeing a bunch of forclosures. The sky is not, in fact, falling.

You say it's unsafe, yet raw statistics and the anecdotal descriptions of many others belie that theory. Not once have I feared for my safety when out at night, but then again the minorities that I encounter have never felt the need to call me "cracker" or "white trash", so hmm... maybe that anecdote tells us more about you than the village.

You say taxes are too high, but that's not a characteristic solely of Brown Deer. Taxes are too high for the entirety of Milwaukee County, I won't argue that. But to say you don't get anything back for them is highly dubious. A.) Your 6K figure (which I doubt would be that high considering your proximity to these terrible apartments you describe above) is not solely made up of the Village or School District taxing entities. You can blame MATC, MKE County, and MMSD also. And B.) so you don't dare have children in this godforsaken area, but somehow you don't drive on the plowed and repaired village roads, utilize the public libarary, get protection from the police, patronized TIF-district businesses, visit the village park/pond, etc., etc., etc.?

Lastly, you say you would not raise a child here, yet many others including myself seem to have no qualms with doing so. You're on the fringe, buddy. Come back to reality. No suburb, including the one we reside in, can be accurately described as "inner city", not even remotely.

I'll take your bet.

Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 08-19-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Way to go Ron B!!! very nicely put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee