Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Didn't you hear? Milwaukee is the new Portland.
LOL... Yeah, I heard that. The New Portland with thrice the crime, none of the scenery, and terrible weather.

Now excuse me, I heard there's a New Vancouver thread in the St. Louis forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,794 times
Portland appears to be a city overrun with homeless, druggies, transients, beggars, etc. You can have it, I'll deal with Milwaukee and it's problems over excessive panhandling and aimless twenty something pot heads. No thanks.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Portland appears to be a city overrun with homeless, druggies, transients, beggars, etc. You can have it, I'll deal with Milwaukee and it's problems over excessive panhandling and aimless twenty something pot heads. No thanks.
I like to refer to it as Northern San Francisco, seemingly like many western towns such as Reno, Tahoe, Vegas, Phoenix and to a lesser extent Bozeman, MT are becoming overrun with Cal-expats that change a city forever and not always for the better.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I like to refer to it as Northern San Francisco, seemingly like many western towns such as Reno, Tahoe, Vegas, Phoenix and to a lesser extent Bozeman, MT are becoming overrun with Cal-expats that change a city forever and not always for the better.
You're being polite.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Isn't Portland ranked consistently in top cities to live in? Milwaukee has it's own share of panhandlers, homeless, etc. I like living in Milwaukee however I would love to visit Portland. I always hear fantastic things about Portland.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Isn't Portland ranked consistently in top cities to live in? Milwaukee has it's own share of panhandlers, homeless, etc. I like living in Milwaukee however I would love to visit Portland. I always hear fantastic things about Portland.
Western cities such as San Fran and Portland have a big problem with drifter types that hang out, get high, hang out in parks, sleep outside , beg, etc... Much worse than a cold city such as Milwaukee. It's a big problem out west. Milwaukee doesn't attract this type for the most part - young, white, homeless, drugs, drifter type. I really have very little interest in the place. I'm sure the mountains are beautiful, but as a city it seems overhyped. Too many eco fascist types, too may homeless, too much grunge. Just not my thing, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Go to the Portland Forum and check out the Homeless/Crime thread. You'll be surprised.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 02-21-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 07:35 PM

905 posts, read 790,974 times
None of the scenery? Milwaukee's lakefront is way more scenic than Portland's riverfront. I am not going to say Milwaukee is more scenic overall, it's not, mainly due to Portland's much more varied topography. But Milwaukee isn't as overrun with gutterpunks either, and I'd venture gets more sun than Portland as well.

Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee