Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Great post 43-87...very good stuff.

You know, it is kind of a darn shame, too, because man, when the weather IS nice in Milwaukee, it is REALLY nice. A 60s, 70s, 80s day with sun and a lake breeze in the summer or an early autumn day with the sun shining strongly, leaves turning majestic colors, 50s or 60s for a high and the smell of brats/grills, etc., for a late season Brewers game or a Packers tailgate Sunday...that is great stuff.

Milwaukee's weather - unless you love cold/winter/snow - is generally either miserable or heavenly...there isn't much middle-ground. It is just a shame that the heavenly doesn't last a few more months.

But also important to note is that people act like Milwaukee's weather is miserable, and while for much of the year it is (again, unless you like cold/chilly/snow/etc.), when it DOES get nice, it tends to get REALLY nice.
Great post, sir. Youve got it correct. This winter has been beyond brutal, and by no means normal. What makes it worthwhile is knowing that spring, summer and fall are coming up. And while the rest of the country is whining about brutal heat/wildfires/hurricanes/severe droughts/etc, we're outside soaking it up in our cities.

I saw a poster above mention that its 70 degrees in Scottsdale. Great, great. In 2 months they will already be hitting around 100 degrees, and that will continue for the next 5 months, maybe longer depending. During that time we will be sitting anywhere from 65-85 degrees, enjoying every minute of it. They will see many nighttime "low" temperatures that wont dip below 85-90 degrees, we wont even see that as a high!

No place is perfect, but theyll try and convince you otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great post, sir. Youve got it correct. This winter has been beyond brutal, and by no means normal. What makes it worthwhile is knowing that spring, summer and fall are coming up. And while the rest of the country is whining about brutal heat/wildfires/hurricanes/severe droughts/etc, we're outside soaking it up in our cities.

I saw a poster above mention that its 70 degrees in Scottsdale. Great, great. In 2 months they will already be hitting around 100 degrees, and that will continue for the next 5 months, maybe longer depending. During that time we will be sitting anywhere from 65-85 degrees, enjoying every minute of it. They will see many nighttime "low" temperatures that wont dip below 85-90 degrees, we wont even see that as a high!

No place is perfect, but theyll try and convince you otherwise.
That's OK, I go north for summers, because the summer and early fall in the Midwest is really nice. That said, I just climbed out of my pool and I'm typing this response from my permanent deck laptop (yes, it stays outside) overlooking the golf course at the Westin Kierland resort, where it is presently 63 degrees right now.

"Bad Winter?" Here too! Way too cold for me. I might have to go to Florida soon.

Having lived in Lake Forest, IL, Chicago, Washington DC, VA, NY, Milwaukee, WI, and Scottsdale (and other variations), I have to say that I don't miss winter. The snow and the lights are great. I loved Lake Forest at the holidays. Nothing better. But it was still cold.

Yes it gets hot in Arizona in summer, but that's when I travel, so it is immaterial to me at this point. Someday I may change my mind and move north again, but it's a free country and nothing says people can't change their minds. Furthermore, after a lifetime of competitive sailing in cold climates, my hands are in painfully poor shape. When it gets below 50, I hurt. A lot. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Bottom line, different places are good for different people. Yeah, we have scorpions the size of small dogs that cling to the underside of toilet seats searching for a pair of victims to 'swing by'. Sure, it is 180 degrees in the shade from March to November. Just the same as the midwest is presently having 100' snowdrifts, and polar bears are eating entire suburbs in search of sustenance. Just to keep things in perspective.

See y'all in Wisconsin in two weeks. I'll be there for a week or two, then back here again to the miserable 80 degree desert for a month, with a visit or two to Chicago at some point. And yes, I'm bringing my shovel.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:08 AM

5 posts, read 10,098 times
wanted a safe place for kids. like to watch the wildlife in my front yard. i enjoy the peace where i am now. no noise at night,if i want to leave my house open don't have to worry if someone is going to come in that isn't invited.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
I just met someone who moved here less than a year ago from Arizona & she's moving back in a couple weeks because of this winter....for real???? As anyone could tell her, this winter was totally surreal & not normal. God people are wimps

Old 04-20-2008, 04:09 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
The reason I live here is because I wanted to be close to my Mother when I was born and this is where she was when she had me.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I left because I couldn't get a job in Milwaukee (or Chicago either) and opportunities were made available elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee