Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,860 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are likely relocating to the Milwaukee area with our two dogs and are looking to buy in a decent part of town. We have no kids and are in our late 30s. We'd like to be relatively close to the city but need a house with a yard for the dogs, preferably close to a park, river, etc where they can on occasion poke around without too much hastle. Whitefish Bay and Shorewood look great but are they anti-dog? I read that dogs are not allowed in any WFB park,on or off leash. Is that true? Can anyone recommend anything that would work for us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcountry View Post
My wife and I are likely relocating to the Milwaukee area with our two dogs and are looking to buy in a decent part of town. We have no kids and are in our late 30s. We'd like to be relatively close to the city but need a house with a yard for the dogs, preferably close to a park, river, etc where they can on occasion poke around without too much hastle. Whitefish Bay and Shorewood look great but are they anti-dog? I read that dogs are not allowed in any WFB park,on or off leash. Is that true? Can anyone recommend anything that would work for us?

Thanks!
Try Bayview, it's right on the lake & South Shore Park is right there, I always see dogs running around.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Whitefish Bay and Shorewood look great but are they anti-dog?

Can anyone recommend anything that would work for us?

Thanks!
I don't know if I would say WFB and / or Shorewood are anti-dog. I have seen tons of dogs / dog walkers in both communities. One of my better friends owns a home in WFB and they have a big, loud dog and haven't heard anything from them negative about living there with it.

I live in Greendale which would seem to meet your criteria quite well. Tons of dogs and dog walkers - very much a dog-friendly community it seems to me (not a dog owner myself). I would say Muskego also would be a good place for you to look too.

Overall, most communities in the metro I have been I have seen quite a bit of dogs / dog walkers, etc., so I wouldn't be too concerned...people in general here seem to be pretty pro-dog owner.

Quote:
I read that dogs are not allowed in any WFB park,on or off leash. Is that true?
This would be news to me, so hopefully someone else can speak to this. I have no idea if it is true. I would actually be quite surprised if dogs *on* leashes were indeed prohibited, but again, I cannot speak to it.

Unless a park is a specified dog park (then that is a whole different story), I actually am always pro regulations requiring dogs be kept on leashes as parks are public places and people who may not want to have a foreign dog or may not be dog lovers should not have to be subjected to having dogs running up to them / around them, etc., unleashed. However, if dogs are properly constrained (on leashes), etc., I would be surprised if any municipality had a problem with dogs being allowed in a park.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM

32 posts, read 130,501 times
Washington Heights! 10 minutes from downtown and close to Washington Park which even has an annual dog day. Walking your dog is a great way to meet your neighbors too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee