Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That sounds like a cop-out to me, because I bet you don't have any credible evidence to cite.
I don't want to get in the middle of this, but I happen to know one case that supports the fact that the state doesn't really have to protect us. I was amazed I remember the name of the case, Castle Rock vs Gonzales...so I searched on NY Times and found this article in case you are interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html

The article cites a precident, which I just read about at the link below. It is interesting and very sad. Surprisingly, it happened here in WI:

DeShaney v. Winnebago County - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
jjac
Well, well an elitist is PO'd that someone disagrees with him. What a surprise.

I am glad that you have been fortunate in your life to allow you to harbor naive views. I hope your luck continues.

As for CC proponents, we do not go through life in fear. We travel, party, meet and help people and generally live life much the same as you.

I assure you, people like me are of no danger to you. The real bad guys are out there. I hope for your sake you do not have to experience them first hand. If you do, you will change your tune.

BTW, I hold double master degree's - MSEE and MBA. I don't think I am a stupid redneck but I sure am not a "liberal" (i.e. another word for naive)

Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't want to get in the middle of this, but I happen to know one case that supports the fact that the state doesn't really have to protect us. I was amazed I remember the name of the case, Castle Rock vs Gonzales...so I searched on NY Times and found this article in case you are interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html

The article cites a precident, which I just read about at the link below. It is interesting and very sad. Surprisingly, it happened here in WI:

DeShaney v. Winnebago County - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I appreciate you posting those articles, although you let ccjarider off the hook by doing so. Very interesting stuff, but not exactly contradictory to what I posted. The cases in those articles dealt specifically with the enforcement of court orders. The child in the WI case was given back to his abusive father. The woman in the CO case blamed the deaths of her daughters on the police for not enforcing her restraining order against her husband. Lots of husbands and wives have domestic squabbles in which the kids don't get killed. I bet if a stranger had kidnapped her three daughters there would have been an Amber Alert and every resource available would have been utilized to capture the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
jjac
Well, well an elitist is PO'd that someone disagrees with him. What a surprise.

I am glad that you have been fortunate in your life to allow you to harbor naive views. I hope your luck continues.

As for CC proponents, we do not go through life in fear. We travel, party, meet and help people and generally live life much the same as you.

I assure you, people like me are of no danger to you. The real bad guys are out there. I hope for your sake you do not have to experience them first hand. If you do, you will change your tune.

BTW, I hold double master degree's - MSEE and MBA. I don't think I am a stupid redneck but I sure am not a "liberal" (i.e. another word for naive)
Meh.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
I take issue w/calling liberals naive. I don't see how this can be a political issue, I know plenty of liberals who are for it & plenty of conservatives who are against it so I see it as a nonpartisan issue. I for one simply do not agree w/it, I see no need for it. There's already too many guns out there, we don't need more.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:27 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Karfar:
Sorry but I stand by the "naive" comment. It was a valid response to jjac's silly statement that people with 4 yr degree's tend to have "more liberal social views." Where did that come from??

It was a stupid, naive comment and deserved response - Merry Christmas!

Stay safe everyone. Protect yourself - no one else will!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,114 times
Default You don't know how good you have it.

Oh, for pity's sake -- all this whining about not having a pistol in your pocket. If a person isn't capable of dealing with problems moderately, they should put on their jammies and ask mommy to put on the night light. A concealed weapon should be the absolute LAST resort -- after caution, intelligent words and simple self-defense techniques have consistently failed. Milwaukee is the Land of the Lotus Eaters compared to other places I've been, and i've never seen an incident that a concealed handgun couldn't make WORSE.

Maiasaura

Old 12-25-2008, 12:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
after caution, intelligent words and simple self-defense techniques have consistently failed. Milwaukee is the Land of the Lotus Eaters compared to other places I've been, and i've never seen an incident that a concealed handgun couldn't make WORSE.
Okay well you don't have to have a gun then and as long as your not trying to rob me then you have nothing to worry about. Obviously you haven't grown up in a bad neighborhood and where you don't time to explain yourself and reason with criminals you have a few seconds to react and thats it. Criminals have guns I don't and they know this. Like I said you have the freedom not to have a gun and as of right now I don't have the freedom to have a gun either but I would want the option.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,114 times
Actually, I've spent a lot of time in some of the worst hellholes in this country -- from SF Mission District to Flatbush Brooklyn to Newark NJ. I'm a middle-class white lady, and you may be surprised to learn that I haven't been mugged, purse snatched, raped or carjacked -- ever. I've seen bad things and been in bad situations, but I've learned "Act like a victim, and you become a victim. Act like an ******* and you get reamed." Most of the badness I've seen was brought about by knuckle-headed action.

I have seen nothing that ever made me think "Hmm, sure wish I had a gun right now".

(P.S. Grammar is your FRIEND.)

Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,206 times
if everybodys strapped then everybody has a equal chance

ahaha but i bet theres gonna be sum dumba**es that think theyre warren g and try to regulate sh*t

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,415 times
Well let's see the good guys get the guns. If you are in a place where everyone has guns it's going to be hard to commit crime, that's why people go to Chicago where there are total gun bans and people are treated like slaves, where odds are 30 times more of getting your home broken into, and people their home and cars broken into when their in them.

If there is no gun control it makes it harder for the criminals to blatantly get their way and they are not going to stay in a place where they can't get what they want.

Criminals will be criminals. All gun control does is take the guns out of the good people's hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee