Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM

253 posts, read 393,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I want to add more. In this particular case, what I see is an inability or unwillingness for some people to relate to what someone like myself or you might deal with.
People only want to talk about it amongst the group of people who understand. Why? I don't know.

I'm verbal about it all of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomkay View Post
Actually, Sherman Park has many beautiful homes in a deteriorating area.
The northwest part of Sherman Park is decent with many nice brick and stone homes, it has a fair size middle class with a growing Orthodox Jewish population with many children, similar to what you would see in parts of Brooklyn. The area is clean and kept up. Drive in the area around 51st/Keefe and Roosevelt, you would never know a riot had happened 10 blocks away. If you didn't know any better you would think your in Wauwatosa.

The southern part of Sherman Park, south of Burleigh and around Sherman is going down hill and has a ghetto feel to it, east of Sherman, with the exception of Grant is terrible.

The good news is the growing Orthodox population with their large and growing intact families. They have stabilized the area. So all is not bad.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:01 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
My piece on this. I condemn what those looters/rioters did. I don't make any excuses for them. I will just say what it is. Angry young men with hate in their hearts, no empathy, and nothing to lose. They don't care.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 787,741 times
I have some college education in one of the STEM's.

Most whites and even more blacks avoid the STEM's. Just because someone goes to university and develops $50,000 or more in debt for an undergraduate degree in feminist studies or art history does not de facto make them "educated" to the point of being smarter than everyone else. Plumbers, carpenters, CNC operators, heating and cooling technicians, deck hands on merchant marine ships, tailors, cooks and formally trained chefs all have their own base of knowledge.

Nothing wrong with being a low paid auto mechanic learning the trade.

The idea every black person needs to be a NBA player, rap star, or well paid accountant is part of the problem. The morality of hard, honest work, even for pay that is not impressive is virtually gone in Black-America. Just because someone is poor and works honestly for their income does not make them horrible people.

The shrinking middle-class is not just a Black-American issue any longer.

Plus, there are plenty of impoverished Hmong and Mexicans in Milwaukee, many on welfare and many simply part of the working poor, but you don't see them rioting and targeting whites to violently assault just because they're white.

Given the cost of college education even at the public universities today one might logically, mathematically deduce it stupid to obtain a degree rather than developing a skilled trade over 4 or 5 years time.

Back during the 1960s an American could afford an apartment and pay for two semesters of full time college credits all off of the wage of working part-time. Even earlier, during the 1950s, a man could raise a large family off of an annual income of $9,000 and his house that he bought likely cost less than his $9,000 a year salary. The total price of the house was less than $9,000.

The extreme rise in inflation since then may be tied to fiat currency and the dollar no longer being backed by a precious metal.

The US Government should have made public university education free (community college used to be free in California) for all academically qualifying students. But I suspect the Government was persuaded by the banksters to allow the banks to profit off of young American students.

All American students should be forgiven their student debts to date as the Government gave the Wall Street white collar hoodlums a get out of jail free card after committing global fraud with their derivative schemes, and the banks got bailed out, with banksters collecting million dollar bonus checks.

Milwaukee is trying to transition its workforce and economy to one involved in the creative fields and service fields. But there still is not a lot here for that--albeit it is growing, look at the vibrant rise of the Third Ward. More young, creative, white adults are moving into Milwaukee and abandoning the suburbs they were raised in.

Even 3rd Street, better known today as MLK Drive, is being reborn from the ashes of what it was post-riots and throughout the 1980s. This is in part sparked through gentrification but not solely. Government money has been given in grants or loans to help people create businesses and residential properties (condos, apartments) along that street.

And so, some progress economically and in infrastructure is being made in Milwaukee. Although, black people are being largely excluded.

Once upon a time black people in Milwaukee, rich, poor, middle-class all lived together because racial housing segregation during the early 20th century forced them to do so. Blacks people had self sustained neighborhoods running their own buisnesses. Of course, for some reason, they decided to burn portions of it down on 3rd Street during the Civil Rights riots.

Anyways... since Hilary is paid off by the banks she won't be breaking them up as Bernie Sanders suggests. Under Obama--and under her coming Presidency--they will carry out the same derivative schemes but this time it is on a larger scale. The US economy will crash again but this time far worse than it did the last. But banksters will get mad rich in the mean time. So, blacks (and whites) will get economically screwed anyways. But hopefully the lunatics involved with Hilary and McCain don't cause a nuclear war with Russia. The Russians are fully aware because they have a great president who speaks logically and actually explains things. The Americans have no clue Chicago, New York, and almost every major city in the US is clicking closer to being wiped off the face of planet earth. But if Adolf Hilary moves those nukes into the Ukraine under BS lies of a Star Wars missile defense Russia may just launch a mass preemptive strike. You can kiss a black Milwaukee and black Atlanta good bye then.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:18 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
The northwest part of Sherman Park is decent with many nice brick and stone homes, it has a fair size middle class with a growing Orthodox Jewish population with many children, similar to what you would see in parts of Brooklyn. The area is clean and kept up. Drive in the area around 51st/Keefe and Roosevelt, you would never know a riot had happened 10 blocks away. If you didn't know any better you would think your in Wauwatosa.

The southern part of Sherman Park, south of Burleigh and around Sherman is going down hill and has a ghetto feel to it, east of Sherman, with the exception of Grant is terrible.

The good news is the growing Orthodox population with their large and growing intact families. They have stabilized the area. So all is not bad.
Good point, just 2 years ago this month we went looking for a home in that neighborhood. At the time I felt that if we lived on 53rd we would have some spill over crime but nothing different than living on 2nd & National. In hind sight, I am glad we didn't buy on 53rd and Burleigh which is sad because I love that area and the homes and the history there. I work on the north side every day and for the most part I feel safe during the day, but today I was on high alert and I was worried that some one was going to come after me just because I am white. It's sad, I'll keep praying but I just don't see it getting any better which is awful for all of the good people that live in that area.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:51 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post

Is the growth of the Orthodox Jewish population in that area of Milwaukee a recent development or has growth increased from migration from other parts of the metro?

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-15-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If the Blacks living in those neighborhoods were middle class/educated Blacks, would this have happened? That is the million dollar question that needs to be asked and answered. I've asked it and it either falls on deaf ears, or few people care to talk about it.

I see both sides of the problem, and you do too. No one else wants to see it.
I don't think for a second it would've happened.

I also think many of us see it, but just don't know what to say or how to fix it.
I care very much.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Is the growth of the Orthodox Jewish population in that area of Milwaukee a recent development or has growth increased from migration from other parts of the metro?
I'll answer this the best I can, I'm not Jewish. The Sherman Park neighborhood was a Jewish area back in the day, from the 30's until 80's. My mother went to Washington High(area high school) in the early 50's and school was 70% Jewish, which she loved because she got off of school on both Christian and Jewish holidays.

Anyways,(again I'm not an expert on Judaism) the population was non orthodox Jewish or modern now secular Jews and almost all them left the area, but a smaller group of Orthodox stayed and been growing ever since. Now almost all the Jews in the area are Orthodox, when my mom went to Washington it was probably closer to zero.

Orthodox Jews need to live within walking distance of their synagogue on the shabbat, due to not driving on this day. Also, they are strict in the observance of their religious rules and laws, which include large families, which grow and stay within walking distance of their synagogue. They don't live in non Orthodox neighborhoods, and only associate with Orthodox Jews, for the most part.

Over years and decades the population grows and grows and over time take over entire areas. Williamsburg, Crown Heights and Borough Park Brooklyn are great examples of this. This group will not leave an area due to crime or riots, they stick it out and continue to grow, unlike most white groups. The Crown Heights riots in Brooklyn in the early 90's is a great example. After the riots with the blacks in Crown Heights the Jews dug in even deeper and have grown much larger since then. This Sherman Park riot will not shake them. Most Orthodox Jews are descendants of survivors from the WW2 holocaust and relocated to the United States from Poland, Ukraine and other eastern European nations.

To answer your question - no they didn't migrate from other parts of the metro area. They are home grown.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not to venture to far off topic, here is a good article from 07.

Neighborhood of the Week - A toast to Sherman Park

Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
This is somewhat a general statement, but just a shame to watch what were once nice family driven neighborhoods go downhill. My grandparents lived their life in a nice home off of North ave, in fact when we lived with them a couple years (back in 70's) i went to school at MGC. Now granted that was decades ago, but all my memories from that period were positive. And looking at a map, it's like a mile or two from the violence that popped up recently? Us kids probably biked all around there back in the day......

I know this can happen in every town/city, and likely has more questions than answers in how to resolve, just a little tougher to watch when it somehow touches memories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee