Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM

119 posts, read 469,197 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the same situation as the person that started this thread. We live in Denver and want to move back to Wisconsin in the next few years. We want to live in the city though so Milwaukee seems like the obvious choice even though we don't know a great deal about the city. I did a quick search for housing and it seems that houses are more affordable than here in Denver but the taxes were a lot higher. We like more esablished/older homes with character. I saw a couple a few blocks from the lake in the $250's and I thought that was a bargain. The same style homes here in Denver would be in the $400's and up. What areas should I be looking into and what should be avoided from a crime standpoint? I know a lot can change in a few years but it's never too early to get to know the city.

Let me add that I absolutely love Denver. The suburbs are boring but the city is great and the crime seems very low. The west side and northeast have bad reputations as well as some of the suburbs but there are so many great neighborhoods that those bad areas get overshadowed. There's a lot of parks and bike paths and it sounds like Milwaukee is much the same. It is too dry out here for me and my wife is a bit homesick. Otherwise we might stay out here forever. We might anyway, just exploring our options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:28 PM

236 posts, read 615,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgirk3 View Post
There are pockets of run down properties in every city in America. Look at Denver, Phoenix, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, Atlanta, Boston, Miami etc. etc. Some parts of these cities make inner city Milwaukee look like Beverly Hills CA.
Since Milwaukee has a higher murder and crime rate than Phoenix,Denver,Chicago,Boston and Miami,it would be impossible for thier inner cities to make Milwaukee's look like Beverly Hills,CA.Get your head out of the sand.

Last edited by lioninaconcretejungle; 06-04-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
Since Milwaukee has a higher murder and crime rate than Phoenix,Denver,Chicago,Boston and Miami,it would be impossible for thier inner cities to make Milwaukee's look like Beverly Hills,CA.Get your head out of the sand.
Why exactly are you so negative in your posts regarding this city? Milwaukee has good things to offer people, try to keep that in mind.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 AM

990 posts, read 3,186,251 times
Quote:
Ya it's not that bad, and with any major city there will be crime and slums, but alot of nice areas to.

I've heard the Whitefish Bay area is really nice and there are some great neighborhoods around the city center. Why not do that google thing where you can walk around the neighborhoods online, I think is valled street view.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Ya it's not that bad, and with any major city there will be crime and slums, but alot of nice areas to.

I've heard the Whitefish Bay area is really nice and there are some great neighborhoods around the city center. Why not do that google thing where you can walk around the neighborhoods online, I think is valled street view.
Milwaukee is in the Nations top 10 for big city poverty,homicides,teenage pregnancy,segragation,and black male unemployment.Id say thats bad.

BTW whitefish bay is NOT in the city of Milwaukee

Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Why exactly are you so negative in your posts regarding this city? Milwaukee has good things to offer people, try to keep that in mind.

It seems like some of you completely ignore about half of the city of Milwaukee (high crime,high unemployment,high poverty areas).To state that cities that have 1/4th the crime rate of Milwaukee's makes its inner city look like ''Beverly Hills'' is laughable and doesnt make sense at all.Milwaukee is in fact one of Americas most dangerous big cities.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,804 times
Quote:
Milwaukee is in the Nations top 10 for big city poverty,homicides,teenage pregnancy,segragation,and black male unemployment.Id say thats bad.

BTW whitefish bay is NOT in the city of Milwaukee
Whitefish Bay is also quite expensive.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
It seems like some of you completely ignore about half of the city of Milwaukee (high crime,high unemployment,high poverty areas).To state that cities that have 1/4th the crime rate of Milwaukee's makes its inner city look like ''Beverly Hills'' is laughable and doesnt make sense at all.Milwaukee is in fact one of Americas most dangerous big cities.
Well I never mentioned the Beverly Hills thing. I don't ignore what's going on in Milwaukee, I just don't know how to make it better. But, I've been here all my life & I've never experience MAJOR crime, other than my car getting broken into when I lived right on the cusp of Riverwest. I don't think Milwaukee is as desperate as you seem to think it is...yes, there are bad areas. I've been in those areas & let me tell you, I'm thankful I don't have to live there. But on the whole, minus the "scary" areas that I hope we all know where they are, this city is pretty dang good.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 AM

If you completely ignore blacks <mod cut: personal attack / racist accusation>,and the intense racism they face in the city,then I guess you could say the city is good.If youre a sane person who considers the welfare of everyone, and doesnt think TOP TEN poverty,unemployment and homicide rates are ''ok'',then the city is not good.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 06-06-2008 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: personal attack / racist accusation

Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If you completely ignore blacks <mod cut: personal attack / racist accusation>,and the intense racism they face in the city,then I guess you could say the city is good.If youre a sane person who considers the welfare of everyone, and doesnt think TOP TEN poverty,unemployment and homicide rates are ''ok'',then the city is not good.
Right, well I guess I have a more positive outlook, so shoot me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee