Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 9,628 times

Advertisements

I thought this thread would be relevant to what will probably be a wet, snowy, cold year.

Obviously rusted cars is an issue in Wisconsin and I was reading an article that said liquid brine/salt trucks have added disastrously corrosive elements. Great!

So what is the trick to keeping your car structurally sound for many years. Do you invest in a $10 underbody flush every time a snow storm dries out? Once a week? Once a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 06:18 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Moved away.
(Not because of rusty cars of course)
It just happens to be a neat side benefit.

Every day here I see neat old cars from 60-90's just being used as daily drivers.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:20 PM

I tried to take care of it by washing bottom of cars but after years of that mess, I just gave up.
I believe newer technology vehicles withstand the chemicals much better than yesterday.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Flush salt from undercarriage as soon as roads are dry.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Frequency should be entirely dependent on the manufacturer. My wife's Ford Focus developed rust around inlets on the frame/subframes after just 3 winters. [She got the underbody wash 1x/mo during the cold seasons]. My Porsche has some sort of corrosion prevention coating from the factory that's guaranteed for 10 years, underbody flushes not required.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I like to use the hand car washes and high pressure wash the undercarriage myself whenever there is a dry spell. Otherwise I go through touchless with undercarriage wash. However, being only a part time resident, I avoid driving in the snow or slush. It definitely is manufacturer specific with warranties. I had a Volvo with a 10 year corrosion warranty, IIRC. I think my last Audi had a 12 year one. My Mercedes had an extremely long warranty, IIRC, but I'm sure they would never honor it as Mercedes seems to love finding ways to weasel out of their responsibilities like only Germans could. Lexus only goes to 72 months.

The most important thing is having a dry parking place for it. Parking indoors in a dry environment greatly reduces corrosion, especially when combined with frequent washes after snow events.

Living in Arizona where stuff doesn't rust EVER, it kills me to keep a nice car in the Midwest. I usually demote vehicles *to* Wisconsin to live out the rest of their years, because I can start off with a new-looking five (or ten) year old car, and it stays nice until I'm done with it.

Also, unless you exclusively drive around the North Shore or the nicer suburbs, if your travels include the more "urban" areas of Milwaukee, or your parking habits include parking on the street at times, your car will be in a constant state of having panels replaced and refinished as a result of constantly being bashed when either on the road or parked. That is if it's not just outright totaled by an uninsured motorist or a drunk student. Driving through the ghetto on a regular basis is certain death to your car; it's just a matter of time.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Flush salt from undercarriage as soon as roads are dry.
This. Only in winter and after a big snow storm do I pop for the big wash at a Kwik-Trip or a better wash at Full Service Car Wash. If it has been really messy and salty from a big storm I'll run it through again. Make sure you drive the car or park in a garage because you don't want frozen locks or the handle of your 90 Buick to literally rip-off after you lift the handle.

No enough water your car will rust, too much water your car will rust. It's all about balance and moderation.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

No enough water your car will rust, too much water your car will rust. It's all about balance and moderation.
Not sure on the water causing rust statement.
Cars really don't rust here in PNW and yet they will be wet for months at a time.
There is little to no use of deicing salt.
I really think it is the wet salt chemical reaction that causes most car rot.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Not sure on the water causing rust statement.
Cars really don't rust here in PNW and yet they will be wet for months at a time.
There is little to no use of deicing salt.
I really think it is the wet salt chemical reaction that causes most car rot.
It is.

Think of it this way...throughout the winter commute of a Midwest car, salty snow and water seeps into it's deepest crevasses. When that car arrives home and is parked in a garage where temps >32*F, that snow melts, the water dries up....and all that salt is left to eat your body panels like termites. This is exactly what happen to my Mini Cooper some years ago - a design defect allowed snow/water to pool up under my tail lights, and voila - rust.

For this reason, you see many in WI choose to park their vehicles in their driveways, because the snow doesn't have a chance to melt and that salt isn't getting a chance to eat their car. At least not on a nightly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee