Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times

Advertisements

cfbs2691, you're right. I've zeroed in on Shorewood. It seems to have a nice mix of cute homes, walkable restaurants and shops, and good schools.

Are there any other comparable areas? As much as I don't want to be out in suburbia, are there any suburbs that actually have a downtown core? I don't want to be car dependent all the time.

Whitefish Bay seems like a possibility but it doesn't seem as walkable. Just chain restaurants on a main drag. Is that an accurate assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
I've been gone many years now and know there've been a lot of changes to the area.

That being said - I don't think there's anything comparable on Lake Michigan.
Whitefish Bay is nice enough - but Shorewood's just more walkable.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Thanks. We'll see what happens. I think we're leaning towards Milwaukee simply because it would be better for hubby's career long term. Main office compared to outpost in Duluth.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Thanks. We'll see what happens. I think we're leaning towards Milwaukee simply because it would be better for hubby's career long term. Main office compared to outpost in Duluth.
Good luck!
Keep us posted?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 24,255 times
I would say Whitefish Bay is just as walkable as Shorewood is. Financially I found is that Whitefish Bay is slightly more affordable, a larger home for your money, and less taxes - with arguably better schools and park access. One of the biggest differences between the two is that Shorewood definitely has a more progressive/urban/hipster vibe going on. Whitefish Bay has a more Norman Rockwell Americana family vibe going on.

I would disagree with your assessment of WFB's downtown. One thing to keep in mind is that a large portion of Silver Spring going east from the highway is Glendale, where you will find Bayshore Mall and loads of chain businesses. However when you go further east into Whitefish Bay there is an abundance of small, locally owned businesses. Fox Bay Cinema, Winkies, Stone Creek Coffee, Breadsmith, Moxie (best restaurant in WFB), Penzeys Spices, and so on.

But honestly both Shorewood and WFB are excellent places, so you can't go wrong either way.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the info, fj0rd! Maybe I wasn't really looking at WFB downtown? So I searched for Moxie on Google Earth and it looks perfectly quaint. Not big by any stretch but enough. That will do just fine. I just want to be able to walk to dinner or for ice cream every now and then, my kids walk to school and to the library. I don't need a bigger house but I'll definitely keep looking at WFB.

The hubby will be working downtown but the commute doesn't seem bad at all. 20 min? I'll figure out employment if we make it there.

I'll try to keep everyone updated. For now it looks like he'll be temporarily working in Milwaukee/teleworking from the U.P. for a few months starting this summer. That will give us time to check out the area a little more.

Progressive hipsters don't scare me .

Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
How is WFB less walkable than Shorewood? They're basically the same. Sure portions of WFB may not be walkable, but in terms of total walkable area, there is just as much in WFB as there is in Shorewood.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
How is WFB less walkable than Shorewood? They're basically the same. Sure portions of WFB may not be walkable, but in terms of total walkable area, there is just as much in WFB as there is in Shorewood.
Shorewood is much more city than WFB, hands down. In terms of walkability, WFB is very walkable, but it lacks destinations to walk to. So, if you want to have a nice evening stroll around your neighborhood, WFB is perfectly fine. But if you want some nightlife (or day life), you want to be in Shorewood. On another hand, WFB is just a few minutes away from Shorewood, so it's perfectly easy to ride a bike or a car to Oakland street, enjoy it for a while, then go back I think WFB has a better and friendlier community there, better schools and is more quiet.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:51 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
From the OP's description, it sounds to me like it would be Milwaukee hands-down. One of the pros listed of Duluth - "hockey" - has a big following, lots of playing options in Metro Milwaukee. A ton in fact.

And one of the "cons" of Milwaukee...Scott Walker...I mean, I have lived in metro Milwaukee Wisconsin under liberal Democratic governors (Jim Doyle) as well as Center or right governors such as Gov. Walker or previously Tommy Thompson. I would never recommend someone pick a place to live based upon their disposition for someone in particular in the governor's office. Governors in general are too finite in their careers. Hell, look at someone picking to live or not live in Minnesota based upon when Gov. Jesse Ventura was there...a polarizing politician...but as his career showed, governor careers are not forever. Your dislike of Gov. Walker's - I believe - would impact you fairly minimally on a daily basis living in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee has much more by way of a diversity of things to do as well as amenities, etc. Duluth is a version of Green Bay, WI. Great for those that are looking for a cold weather, mid-sized, rural town that offers very little in terms of diversity or amenities in comparison to a major metro area such of Milwaukee.

To to OP: if you are familiar, all I can say is a better comparison for Duluth would be, as mentioned, Green Bay. Milwaukee on the other hand would need to be paired with Minneapolis or St. Paul. A major metro market.

I think Milwaukee has the basics you are looking for and more, whereas Duluth would likely get old pretty quick.

I admit to a bias here, as metro Milwaukee is one of very few areas I would consider (and do) live(ing) (in) in the upper Midwest, whereas Duluth would be a unique form of torture/hell for me to live in. To me, Duluth is Green Bay minus the Packers.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 PM

175 posts, read 257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I understand they can be hard to compare considering the size difference but try to amuse me.

We're a family of four with two children in elementary school. We enjoy spending time outdoors but also want amenities amounting to more than just the basics for a primal survival. I'd like to be able to walk to a few places, school, restaurant, library, etc. I'm tired of living in the country. I don't want to live out in the 'burbs either. We also like to travel. Both by car and by plane.

Edited to add: My husband will have a job in either city so we don't have to worry about that. My degree and experience is in GIS.

These are the pros and cons I've come up with. Please give me your opinions weather you think these are accurate or anything else I should consider.

Duluth

Pros

It's in Minnesota
Hockey
Outdoor recreation
Surrounding area more attractive

Cons

Isolated
Smaller
Seasonal

Milwaukee

Pros
Larger
More amenities
More activities
Better airports
Closer to more population centers
Diversity (even though I know it's uber-segregated)

Cons
Scott Walker
Less outdoor recreational opportunities
Boring terrain

No, you're not accurate. In fact, you're way off base. Like Wisconsin has no outdoor recreation? Seriously? Hockey is big in northern WI. Actually hockey is big all over the upper midwest and northeast.
You don't get out much do you? Boring terrain? What's so exciting about Minnesota's terrain? Wisconsin has more geological variety than MN. Don't like Scott Walker? Tough. You lost that argument a long time ago. Get over it. Duluth is the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee