Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:59 PM

9 posts, read 13,268 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I've just spent some time reading through old threads for some relocation advice. My husband and I are relocating to Milwaukee: his job will be in Waukesha, and mine will be near Miller Park.

We've previously lived in an old neighborhood with a short walk to a quaint downtown area and enjoyed that experience. My husband then transferred and we relocated to a large suburban area in a cookie-cutter subdivision -- I've learned that this isn't quite my style.

We're looking for a town with a cohesive downtown area. We're not looking for a large home, but something with a little more land on the outskirts of town would be nice. Add to this one other need: we have an old sailboat and would like to be within a 45-minute drive to a marina. My husband likes to ride trails, and I like to snowshoe in the winter, so being close to areas that support this is a plus.

So far, we've looked at (and liked) Port Washington, but I'm concerned about commute times. I've seen Hartland, Delafield and Pewaukee come up in some of the threads I've read as a possibility. Perhaps your local knowledge could help provide us with some additional areas to consider? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,413 times
Definitely not Port Washington - commute along I43 southwards and then I94 westward is bad).

Definitely yes to Hartland, Delafield and Pewaukee, or any other town in the area (New Berlin, Elm Grove, Menomonie Falls come to mind).

Maybe, you want to come and rent for a year before you buy a house...
Or load all your stuff on PODS and let it sit at a storage, and you can stay in a hotel on a weekly basis for a few weeks until you find your new home.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:02 PM

Thanks! I think we'll definitely end up renting in whatever neighborhood we initially agree upon. Thanks for the commute info... Google maps doesn't make it look too bad, but I know from my current commute that it certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,413 times
In general, travel times in Milwaukee is a piece of cake. From one end of it to another - it's about 30 minutes. During the commute time, we call it bad when cars travel 40 mph ) But still, as I said - Port Washington and anything in that direction is more difficult, and without any good reason.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Add Oconomowoc to the list for exploration. Even Waukesha itself for that matter.

The commute in to Waukesha is cake from anywhere in Waukesha County. The Drive into the Miller Park area would only be a challenge in Rush Hour, traffic slows from Brookfield on in.

If it's the Big Pond your going to be boating on then the non-rush hour drive time would be just about at your window.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:43 PM

319 posts, read 664,823 times
Wauwatosa if renting
Brookfield or New Berlin if buying

Old 05-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Thank you, everyone! The goal is to buy, but we'd like to rent a little first just to make sure that the town/city is a good fit for us. And we sail out of the big pond... our trips to the lake usually occur during non-rush hour times. One thing I've noticed about some of these towns compared to the area we're in is that there aren't as many larger parcels of land available for a decent price. I think we'll probably have to evaluate that item on our wish list.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 AM

69 posts, read 76,906 times
Wauwatosa has a quaint village, and is very walkable, has nice bike trails and parks for snow showing. It is less than 30 mins to the McKinley Marina or the Lake District.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA35 View Post
Thank you, everyone! The goal is to buy, but we'd like to rent a little first just to make sure that the town/city is a good fit for us. And we sail out of the big pond... our trips to the lake usually occur during non-rush hour times. One thing I've noticed about some of these towns compared to the area we're in is that there aren't as many larger parcels of land available for a decent price. I think we'll probably have to evaluate that item on our wish list.
Really? There aren't any larger parcels out in Waukesha County anywhere? I would think it harder in Milwaukee County.

Keep looking.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 PM

I didn't say that there weren't any... just not in our price range. Or, the house is sitting on 5 acres, but it looks like a time capsule from the 70's. I've got all of the towns in this thread mapped out in Zillow, so I'm looking. Either way, it looks like we'll find something in these areas that meets our needs, if not all of the "wish list." I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee