Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,452 times

Advertisements

thanks you for share!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,395,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I will speak to the "not feeling welcome in Mequon" part. Since I have now lived here going on 3 years. Most of the minorities you see in Mequon are wealthy, it's more of a factor of Mequon more than anything, wealthy communities are going to attract wealthy people. In Mequon when you see a black person it's more often than not they are well off, same thing goes for most people you see, so you could argue that when you see minorities in Mequon you just assume they are well-off. Tall black people probably get the 'are you a NBA player' look since a lot of athletes and coaches live up here, Jabari Parker doesn't seem to have a problem with Grafton since he bought a house up there and yes he is moving back to the city, probably got sick of the 45 min commute rather than racism. Eric Benet and Halle Berry didn't seem to have a problem with Mequon either when they lived here.

After all there is a reason why wealthy minorities move to Lilly white wealthy communities. Rich people regardless of race like to be near other rich people. So not feeling welcome in Mequon? seems like a stretch or at least a personal experience. On my block alone I have 2 mixed families and one black family and a gay couple and we all get a long great I'm not saying Mequon is the new View Park-Windsor Hills but it's not rural Arkansas. Typically the people who say race relations are terrible are those who want to believe it as terrible and they look for any reason to back up their agenda.
Interesting post, but perception is reality.
The OP isn't comfortable there and that's his take and I don't see an "agenda" in it.
You list people who "didn't seem" to have an issue - did you personally have a discussion with them about it? Plus you named famous people... they're treated completely differently than the rest of us schmucks no matter where they are

Last edited by cfbs2691; 05-24-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,748,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I don't think you're characterizing "liberals" very accurately. Many do believe that segregation is a by-product of racism, and there are historical reasons (red-lining, white flight, etc.) for that. It isn't just "media-driven" hype, though there is some of that. .

Beyond those, our Federal government for decade one decade through the FHA promoted segregation. White only covenants. Not funding housing projects that allowed blacks. Then when black housing was built in a place communities rezoned them so that waste facilities and heavy industry could be right there, and they never would have done that if it was a white community.

This directly lead to much of the disparity of wealth between white and black families from the mid 20th century forward (through the gigantic disparity of value of the housing stocks, which has been the foundation of family money for so many white families), and it will take decades and decades, probably much longer, of government intrusion to reverse the social engineering they conducted those decades.

Last edited by timberline742; 05-24-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,207,090 times
Another "victim" serving another glass of whine.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:40 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,675,546 times
I was not able to read every post in this thread, however, I would say that in general, I believe the Original Poster's experiences, but I would say that it isn't indicitive of MKE Metro as a whole. My gut feel is that the OP is experiencing what they are experiencing possibly more because of the primary communities you mention: those northern suburbs - Mequon, Cedarburg, Grafton - are extremely white-heavy and are not as transitory as more urban suburbs. Someone previously mentioned the transitory factor (or lack thereof), and I think that is the key. Many suburban or rural communities in Metro MKE and beyond in the state are still quite non-transitory; many in these communities I don't feel mean to be essentially racist, but based upon perceptions that they have (based on their extended families/upbringing but more now based on sensationalism news coverage of crime in urban Milwaukee), they aren't used to seeing ethnic folks and when they do, they automatically can jump to assumptions based on their pre-existing perceptions and think, "uh oh; a (insert ethnic minority here) person...they are part of the population that I see on TV causing crime in 'Milwaukee'...I better avoid them."

In my experiences as an admitted lilly white fellow, I think people that might seem racist or prejudiced against ethnic minorities here are more insular, ignorant, and going by stereotypes than maliciously racist. Of course, when the OP notes slurs, that crosses the bridge too far.

But remember, slurs from black folks against caucasians happen just as frequently if not more so in more urban areas of Milwaukee.

Overall, I would say what you have is a very non-transitory city metro area (with the exception of parts of Milwaukee City and a few inner ring suburbs) and when you have a history of non-transitory people, you will get a culture of shared stereotypes and misconceptions. This is in the works in some of the more white, outter suburbs as well as some of the more historically black portions of urban Milwaukee.

I could go on, however, one example I have is people in the outter suburbs here will call into MKE talk radio and say that they'd never head to "Milwaukee" due to the crime/their perceived lack of safety. I tend to laugh at that notion because key spots you'd want to go to as a visitor in Milwaukee from an outside community...generally, these are very safe areas for a major city (which will be its very nature as a major city never be statistically as safe as small, rural communities). But overall, a majority of the desirable business/entertainment/residential areas in Milwaukee City itself are generally (of course there are always exceptions) - very safe. But once a picture otherwise has been painted in outter suburbanites' minds, it creates a perception and unless they have direct experiences or a history of open-mindedness, that perception becomes reality.

Again, I echo those that have given some more racially diverse communities here (Waukesha and Wauwatosa come to mind, as you'll see a multitude of white, black, Hispanic, and Asian people in Waukesha and Wauwatosa both)...you would see a lot less prejudice or racism from any sides unlike you'd find in the more historically segregated/insular areas of MKE Metro.

Having lived in MKE Metro for most of my 40+ years of life and again, as a white dude who has lived, worked, and played in more of the diverse areas, I have seen/heard the racist looks/comments/prejudices from each of the major racial groups...however, again, and maybe this is just true of most racism/prejudice in general...I don't think - even though this might sound preposterous and may be of little solace to the individual being singled out - most of the prejudice/racism from any racial party in metro Milwaukee in general comes from hateful, malicious people; rather, it is more a product of years of upbringing in a particular insular culture and based upon ignorance/stereotypes than of a truly malicious heart. Again though, there are sadly idiots who are exceptions to every rule and that is no different in a very culturally/racially/ethnically rich area like Metro Milwaukee.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,603,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Although I feel welcomed in my current community, whenever I commute to my job (I work in both Cedarburg and Grafton) I still get this "you don't belong here" vibe from residents in both communities. It's been that way since day one and nothing has changed!
"Nothing has changed!"

The migration rate of the Milwaukee area is one of the lowest anywhere (but so is its sophisticated rust belt cousin to the south, Chicago).

Things don't change much, because people don't change much. What inward migration to the area exists, is primarily from outstate Wisconsin or Minnesota, then IL (if memory serves me correctly). Much of it is related to education. It's not the new Atlanta or anything.

In most of the North Shore suburbs and Ozaukee suburbs, nothing has changed much. You said it yourself. Whitefish Bay almost seems like time travel, except the current model cars give it away. Fox Point and Bayside are brimming with most of the same aging baby boomers who moved there in the 80s or 90s. River Hills is so sparsely populated it barely matters. The Ozaukee suburbs have had some more development, but still have a down home small town Wisconsin vibe. Mequon, since you mentioned it specifically, has no downtown. It's a scattered suburb with some strip malls. It has been the same for ages, except for some new homes and a little commercial development.

So you're really not dealing with places that like anything new. Fox Point got a Fresh Market a few years back, in one of two slivers of commercial property in the whole village. The only development Bayside has had, is old peoples' homes. This is how people there, like it. Quiet and consistent. The residents moved there to insulate themselves from things that happen elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
So, tell me: Why does Milwaukee seem like such a racially unequal and prejudiced place? What can we do to dispel negative perceptions about minorities, particularly in the Milwaukee metro area? If I'm wrong about my perception of Milwaukee, please don't hesitate to clarify your opposing opinion. Thanks in advance!
This is all in the history books. Migration patterns determined an uptick in crime and decay in most rust belt cities. You can pick your group to blame for this, since that seems to be the thing to do today. Or maybe nobody is really to blame and it's just a bad situation all around.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 AM

459 posts, read 470,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
...and that's fair.

After living in MKE for 10yrs I now reside in a community that has been deeply integrated for decades [in fact, I'm a minority]. Combine this with my frequent travel and I can objectively claim that Black on Latino/White/Indian racism is disproportionately high in MKE vs. the majority of the nation. Point being prejudice in MKE is undoubtedly coming from all angles, not just whites, which further agitates its poor race relations.

In my opinion the solution is rather simple. Everybody just needs to make a conscious effort to stop being a**holes and we'll all get along.

Love the post, so true on all levels. Well said. We're all in this together.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Another "victim" serving another glass of whine.
Wild guess, you do not care. Well I do care. Why would I want to live in a place with high racial tensions?

Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,395,353 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Jokes aside, the other poster hit the nail on the head:
If everyone consciously agreed to stop being A-holes... things could change.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-09-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 12:44 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
People driving to Butler from Whitefish Bay throw their trash out the window enroute?

Jokes aside, the other poster hit the nail on the head:
If everyone consciously agreed to stop being A-holes... things could change.
Better yet, I live in a predominantly White area and I can find plenty of litter where I live. This is in Georgia. BTW, my own connection with Milwaukee is this is my father's hometown.

I agree with you that if just treat each other better, things will actually get better. However, many people are not interested in that. Many people are content to be ugly in their mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee