U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,028 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I live in Portland, OR and are wanting to make a big move. We are considering Milwaukee. We are lesbians and have two daughters who are Elementary School aged. We are looking for an area that isn't super expensive but also has great schools. Where should we look?
Also- are people kind generally in this area to lesbian families and the like? We just want to have a good life around people that are friendly, like football, and for our children to grow up polite and smart. The normal stuff.
I've seen some really disparaging comments about LGBT families in this area but that was from years ago. I'd love a new and fresh opinion!
Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:57 AM

251 posts, read 307,848 times
Milwaukee is a very LBGT friendly community.

The east side of Milwaukee, Bayview, Washington Heights area of Milwaukee and other west side neighborhoods, Brewer's Hill, Walkers Point, St. Francis, Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, Glendale, Brown Deer, Fox Point, east side of Wauwatosa in my opinion are all good communities for LBGT families.

Madison (I am not familiar with the surrounding suburbs) is also a good city for LBGT families.

I have never heard any negativity in the Milwaukee or Madison areas about LBGT families. Milwaukee and Madison has always been voted one of the top communities for LBGT families due to tremendous community support. I wouldn't worry too much.

Super expensive? Depends on how much money you have to work with, and which community will meet all your needs. You should visit a couple of times (Summer and Winter) before you make the decision to move.

LGBT | VISIT Milwaukee

Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,907,349 times
I don't think you'd be too bad anywhere in Milwaukee, look for good schools and you will be OK. Bay View / Third Ward / Walkers Point seems to attract gay couples, but you can find better schools and cheaper rents elsewhere with no problems (and go to Walker's Point for partying now and then).

Better communities (imho) would be Whitefish Bay/Shorewood (more like a city), Fox Point/Bayside (more suburban), Wauwatosa on the west side.

Brookfield/Elm Brook/New Berlin have good schools, yet are kind of more conservative. Yet, 'mind your business' conservative and not 'religious right' conservative, so they may work for you.

Madison or Appleton would probably be another good bet.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,593,743 times
As already mentioned, quite a few city of Milwaukee neighborhoods attract LGBTQ folks: East Side, Bay View, Washington Heights, Sherman Park, etc. Each neighborhood has its own "flavor," so you would want to visit and see what's the best fit for you. My husband and I don't have kids, but we do know some LGBTQ couples with kids who live within the city limits. In Bay View, the neighborhood public elementary and middle schools are good, but the high school (Bay View High) has a mixed record. For high school, many families with kids look at the various magnet schools, such as the language immersion high schools (German, Spanish, French), the honors schools (Rufus King, Reagan, etc.), and other specialty publics. Some families send their high schoolers to private and charter schools, but not sure if you want to go that route.

If you look at the suburbs (and suburban school districts), Shorewood and Whitefish Bay are good choices for LGBTQ, though housing prices are relatively high and houses/lots are kind of small.

We know a lot of gay and lesbian couples (some with kids) who live in Glendale, just to the west of Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. Glendale is much more middle class, but the schools are great, and the houses/lots tend to be less expensive and larger than those in Shorewood and WFB. (Glendale houses tend to be standard ranch style suburban houses, whereas Shorewood and WFB have a lot of "cute" Tudors, Colonials, etc.) If my husband and I had kids, we would either stay in Bay View or look in Glendale.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,639,636 times
If you venture ~60min outside of Milwaukee, you may run into some backwards folks. But inside the city limits, it's regular 2017 metro area.

[I lived downtown for a decade before moving to LA ~18mo ago]

Old 08-03-2017, 04:48 PM

596 posts, read 475,572 times
[quote=adr3naline;49066520]If you venture ~60min outside of Milwaukee, you may run into some backwards folks. But inside the city limits, it's regular 2017 metro area.quote]

Exactly. Any LBTQ will be accepted anywhere inside the Milwaukee metro (or Madison). But stray outside of that 60 minute radius and beware of the backward folks. Welcome to Milwaukee!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,907,349 times
You can meet some backwards people anywhere. And don't underestimate Midwest rednecks... Not all white blue-color conservatives are religious extremists. I would say, WI is much softer on religious issues than the Bible belt, and even Bible belt isn't so anti-LGBT as it used to be. After all, even the Pope said he's not in a position to judge anyone.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,639,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You can meet some backwards people anywhere. And don't underestimate Midwest rednecks... Not all white blue-color conservatives are religious extremists. I would say, WI is much softer on religious issues than the Bible belt, and even Bible belt isn't so anti-LGBT as it used to be. After all, even the Pope said he's not in a position to judge anyone.
Agreed. Stereotyping an individual's bias towards LGBT based on their political preference is an antiquated convenience.

[gears up for a 30 page argument]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee