Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:48 AM

435 posts, read 176,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
What is the "pertinent information"? Who defines the "pertinent information"?
Are you serious? Any information he uses to form policy on behalf of the country is pertinent information. Would you like to argue otherwise? That he shouldn't form policy based on established data and historical context? i would say knowing how things like NAFTA or NATO actually work before you try to blow them up would be pertinent.

Those aren't inconsequential issues and it isn't 'street smarts' not to know how they work. The thing is, other countries outside of the US know he is lying and uninformed. Unlike Trump supporters, these countries have some self-respect, and aren't just going to accept someone lying to them everyday about things they know aren't true.

Trump supporters try to pretend like Trump is playing '3D' chess or using 'street smarts' to make themselves feel better about voting for a buffoon. It literally only works because you guys are sycophants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
Are you serious? Any information he uses to form policy on behalf of the country is pertinent information. Would you like to argue otherwise? That he shouldn't form policy based on established data and historical context? i would say knowing how things like NAFTA or NATO actually work before you try to blow them up would be pertinent.

Those aren't inconsequential issues and it isn't 'street smarts' not to know how they work. The thing is, other countries outside of the US know he is lying and uninformed. Unlike Trump supporters, these countries have some self-respect, and aren't just going to accept someone lying to them everyday about things they know aren't true.

Trump supporters try to pretend like Trump is playing '3D' chess or using 'street smarts' to make themselves feel better about voting for a buffoon. It literally only works because you guys are sycophants.
Poppycock.
thanks for playin.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:51 PM

435 posts, read 176,106 times
Quote:
Poppycock.
thanks for playin.
So this is what playing chess with a pigeon feels like. I'm hoping you didn't poop on your keyboard to complete the experience.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM

628 posts, read 695,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, summerfest, Big Bang, streetcar construction....perfect timing. We don't need him here, he's not wanted.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
On that note: I think Walker's association with Trump is going to hurt him. A lot of republican governors and candidates are abstaining from Trump (for politiical reasons I'm sure) due to his unpopularity, but not Walker.
I don't believe this is true. In many, (not all) recent elections, Trumps endorsement has been very effective and helpful. In WI anyway, I don't see Walker having much risk by palling around with Trump. The people that don't like him now would never vote for him anyway and 99% of people that like him now won't change their mind because he likes Trump. Indeed it would be much bigger risk to distance himself from Trump.

If Walker wants reelection, he needs to be viewed as part of Republican leadership and, like it or not, Trump is leader of the R party right now.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:04 AM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
Quote:
I don't believe this is true. In many, (not all) recent elections, Trumps endorsement has been very effective and helpful. In WI anyway, I don't see Walker having much risk by palling around with Trump. The people that don't like him now would never vote for him anyway and 99% of people that like him now won't change their mind because he likes Trump. Indeed it would be much bigger risk to distance himself from Trump.

If Walker wants reelection, he needs to be viewed as part of Republican leadership and, like it or not, Trump is leader of the R party right now.
Keep believing that

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Keep believing that
Would you be willing to elaborate?

I tried to list reasons why I think Walker will be OK for reelection by aligning with Trump (for WI anyway).

I know you personally don't like either of those guys but why do you think Walker's aligning with Trump is a bad move politically for his reelection?

Do you think people that previously voted for Walker will move away from him because he likes Trump?

Do you think people that did not vote for him last time would vote for him now if he distanced himself from Trump?

I could be wrong but for most of population; I don't think either of these questions can be answered yes. I have not lived there for a while but I try to stay pretty close to pulse of that state.

I think its a low risk for him.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

I tried to list reasons why I think Walker will be OK for reelection by aligning with Trump (for WI anyway).

I know you personally don't like either of those guys but why do you think Walker's aligning with Trump is a bad move politically for his reelection?

Do you think people that previously voted for Walker will move away from him because he likes Trump?

Do you think people that did not vote for him last time would vote for him now if he distanced himself from Trump?

I could be wrong but for most of population; I don't think either of these questions can be answered yes. I have not lived there for a while but I try to stay pretty close to pulse of that state.

Maybe for the first time, I agree with you. Republicans aligning with Trump have done well at the polls.

The few real conservatives that were left have mostly decided to not run again instead of completely selling out and aligning with him.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:41 PM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
Quote:

Here's an example from a republican-leaning voter in this article:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ons/365172002/

Quote:
Jim Wesp, a business owner in West Bend, said he was deeply bothered that Walker turned into a Trump supporter after once trying to rally opposition to Trump's nomination (an about-face made by virtually the entire GOP establishment). “He dropped out (of the presidential primaries), stood up, and said, ‘We need to do something. This is bad.’ And then became a (Trump) supporter. You totally abandon principle! … It’s going to make it really hard for me to support Scott Walker,” said Wesp, who has voted for Walker in each of his previous races.
There will be a lot of anti-Trump sentiment in the midterms this year, so much of it that even republicans and independents *may* turnout for democratic candidates. Trump even performed poorly in the WOW counties in 2016, and a lot of republicans have performed poorly in suburbs since Trump got elected (see West Bend in the article). Polls show Walker is lagging behind his potential democratic challenger (probably due to his failed far-right policies) Tony Evers, but those polls could be inaccurate. Never know, but Walker is considered one of the least popular governors in America, and this is the FIRST TIME he will be running for reelection during a possible blue wave cycle. Dems have flipped three seats (including winning a statewide race), the most for any midwestern state this year. Sorry, but I really don't think the "blue wave" has crashed like people think, and I really don't think Wisconsin is going the way of Missouri and turning into a deep-red state. The blue wave may be temporary, but it is a reflection of the Trump Administration.

To answer your questions: No, I do not think people who has previously voted against Walker will suddenly vote for him even if he distanced himself from Trump. I think those voters will still vote for Walker's democratic challenger because of the anti-Trump sentiment. I think local politics is started to mirror national politics.

But yes, I do think that SOME swing and republican voters will distance themselves from Walker not only because he is associating with our bully in-chief (as evidenced by the person I quoted), but also because of Walker's failed policies. I stand by this, and many people I know agree with me.

In addition, Trump's approval ratings are HORRIBLE here in Wisconsin right now. That is bad for 2020 because rust-belt battleground states (such as WI) were key to helping Trump secure the electoral vote.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 08-04-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee