Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM

830 posts, read 486,473 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Milwaukee, but left for California about 20 years ago. I still visit my parents in New Berlin twice a year, and usually manage one night out with friends in Wauwatosa, Bay View or on the East Side. But in a lot of ways, I feel like I've lost contact with the 'pulse' of the city. I don't really know what's going on there anymore.

So, a question for the locals. What have been the major changes over the past 15-20 years? Any notable trends? Where do you think the city is heading? What will the next 15-20 years bring.

(I'm toying with the idea of eventually returning, which is why I am asking)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:23 AM

512 posts, read 474,128 times
I think the city will be in better shape than it is now. Good things are starting to happen in Milwaukee.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM

760 posts, read 883,028 times
Milwaukee is slowly becoming known a low-key, trendy, affordable, artsy place of the Midwest. When I visit, I am always running into a lot of creative types from NYC, SF, Seattle, etc. They talk about how it's like how those places were in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I'd agree. I am now in Denver, but now that the trendy/coolness of Denver has dissolved, and has now become generic/white/yuppie, I have a new appreciation for my home city.

So just like Portland, Austin, Seattle and Denver started off as sleepy, fun, cool, affordable places, which turned into some of the most expensive and crowded places in the country...I'm sure the same could happen to Milwaukee one day. But I would argue that Milwaukee will probably always be affordable because of it's location as it doesn't have any coastal attraction.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:43 PM

830 posts, read 486,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Milwaukee is slowly becoming known a low-key, trendy, affordable, artsy place of the Midwest. When I visit, I am always running into a lot of creative types from NYC, SF, Seattle, etc. They talk about how it's like how those places were in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I'd agree. I am now in Denver, but now that the trendy/coolness of Denver has dissolved, and has now become generic/white/yuppie, I have a new appreciation for my home city.

So just like Portland, Austin, Seattle and Denver started off as sleepy, fun, cool, affordable places, which turned into some of the most expensive and crowded places in the country...I'm sure the same could happen to Milwaukee one day. But I would argue that Milwaukee will probably always be affordable because of it's location as it doesn't have any coastal attraction.

I had a hunch this may be the case. In SF, where I live now, everything is on Yelp and super hip and trendy and it all gets a bit boring and one-sided after a while. No hidden secrets. And it is not as culturally diverse as Milwaukee.

I think Milwaukee is able to sneak under the radar both by being in the Midwest, and by being overshadowed by Chicago.

It's just too bad about the weather.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 AM

403 posts, read 929,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post

This is kind of my read on Milwaukee as well. It's a really hip and fun town, and IMO has something of a 'coastal' vibe being there on lovely Lake Michigan. It does seem to getting some media shine now. I enjoy going up there from time to time for a change of pace from Chicago.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
I had a hunch this may be the case. In SF, where I live now, everything is on Yelp and super hip and trendy and it all gets a bit boring and one-sided after a while. No hidden secrets. And it is not as culturally diverse as Milwaukee.

I think Milwaukee is able to sneak under the radar both by being in the Midwest, and by being overshadowed by Chicago.

It's just too bad about the weather.
I agree about SF. Any time any restaurant opens up (even one where there isn't a lot of hype around), it gets dozens of Yelp reviews on its opening day because everyone who lives there is always trying to discover the next big thing (and get that First-to-Review badge. ). Sometimes people even write reviews before it's actually open... :-/ It's been that way for at least ten years now. While I give credit for people being willing to try new things...you're right that it gets one-sided after awhile. When I moved to San Jose (2010) we weren't quite as bad as SF in that regard, but now it's the same thing here too.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:10 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I agree about SF. Any time any restaurant opens up (even one where there isn't a lot of hype around), it gets dozens of Yelp reviews on its opening day because everyone who lives there is always trying to discover the next big thing (and get that First-to-Review badge. ). Sometimes people even write reviews before it's actually open... :-/ It's been that way for at least ten years now. While I give credit for people being willing to try new things...you're right that it gets one-sided after awhile. When I moved to San Jose (2010) we weren't quite as bad as SF in that regard, but now it's the same thing here too.

Sometimes. Um, more than sometimes, there is something, um, not kosher, so to speak, about those reviews.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sometimes. Um, more than sometimes, there is something, um, not kosher, so to speak, about those reviews.
To be fair, a lot of places invite reviewers in before the actual opening.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
To be fair, a lot of places invite reviewers in before the actual opening.

Yes, thank you, we all know about soft openings.

Lots of places also either pay for shills, or have friends do it.
It isn't a coincidence that pre opening reviews are all five star.
I know how it works.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 AM

512 posts, read 474,128 times
Milwaukee's population rebounded from 2010-2014, growing from 595k to 606k during that time period, but it seems to have reverted back to its 2010 level of 595k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee