Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,754,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Property taxes are too high to consider Milw an affordable city. The crime rate is terrible and the schools are bad. One can have a much better life in its suburbs, if you have to live in that Metro area.

The Milwaukee suburbs are atrocious (I thought Cedarburg was ok, but that's it).
That would be a horrible quality of life to me. I'd gladly live in Milwaukee, especially for how freaking amazingly affordable it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,139,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The Milwaukee suburbs are atrocious (I thought Cedarburg was ok, but that's it).
That would be a horrible quality of life to me. I'd gladly live in Milwaukee, especially for how freaking amazingly affordable it is.
To be fair, Cedarburg is pretty far out there. What about Wauwatosa? Whitefish Bay? Shorewood (my suburb), Fox Point? Bayside?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:31 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,286,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
New Yorkers consider Chicago a hick town.
Misread your comment in my previous post-- Yes, some New Yorkers do look down on Chicago, and some Chicagoans do look down on Milwaukee, and so on. But so what? I imagine a few people in London and Paris look down on NYC, but it's still a great place.

There are many communities smaller than Milwaukee with some interesting and unique cultural opportunities, some of which are not found in Milwaukee (or Chicago or NYC).

But still, to return to the thread: Milwaukee is a very affordable place for people who like a lot of cultural activities in addition to access to nature, and in addition to standard, everyday fare. It isn't Chicago or NYC, but the former is just down the road when needed, and the latter is accessible via Milwaukee's very good airport. (BTW, having a good airport and other transportation options nearby is another important urban amenity.)

Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
To be fair, Cedarburg is pretty far out there. What about Wauwatosa? Whitefish Bay? Shorewood (my suburb), Fox Point? Bayside?

What about them? I wouldn't want to live in any of them. I like Cedarburg for the SNA mainly, I did a bunch of work there, but in general, nope. Milwaukee is where it is at. It's the only livable municipality in that region of the state, for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
What about them? I wouldn't want to live in any of them. I like Cedarburg for the SNA mainly, I did a bunch of work there, but in general, nope. Milwaukee is where it is at. It's the only livable municipality in that region of the state, for me.
Ok, but saying you wouldn't want to live there and calling them atrocious are two very different things. There's nothing atrocious about any of those suburbs.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 PM

I completely disagree.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,004,060 times
Quote:
I completely disagree.

If The Burg voted 90% liberal timberline would love it For some posters they cannot separate politics on how they see certain cities towns or villages for everything is politics, it's their religion.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:09 PM

512 posts, read 468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If The Burg voted 90% liberal timberline would love it For some posters they cannot separate politics on how they see certain cities towns or villages for everything is politics, it's their religion.
No suburb votes 90% liberal, not even the overwhelmingly Democratic North Shore suburbs and Madison suburbs. Politics aside, I freaking hate suburbs. And I'm sorry, but living in Mequon only bolstered my disdain for suburban America. I didn't even like living in very diverse Brown Deer, but I'm glad you like living in Mequon!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
timberline seems to hate liberal and conservative suburbs alike.

I'm curious what he/she finds so atrocious about all suburbs, urban and exurban alike.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Do not speak for me. I have no idea how these places voted. Even if 100% progressive they would still be atrocious places to live lifestyle wise.

Politics are more important than religions. Religions are based on superstitions. Politics, on values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
timberline seems to hate liberal and conservative suburbs alike.

I'm curious what he/she finds so atrocious about all suburbs, urban and exurban alike.

Lack of culture, one has to go into the city (be a taker, get your culture from the city but flee to live).
Car based lifestyle, you absolutely need a car to live.
That's just for starters, but that is enough.

Last edited by timberline742; 12-11-2018 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee