Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM

442 posts, read 496,664 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are going to be visting Milwaukee in June - watching the Twins v. Brewers!

We have stayed there before - in Brookfield. However, we would like something a little closer to the ball park. Can you recommend something closer, nice, relatively cheap (under $150/night).

What else can we do there. We are going to be in town from a Thursday night thru Sunday. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Hotels & Motels near Miller Park - Milwaukee Brewers - Milwaukee, WI

Depending on when you'll be here, Summerfest starts at the end of June, there's Discovery World on the lake, probably some sort of other festival going on here like River Splash, the public museum is great, the zoo is always fun, walks along the lakefront, hanging out on Brady St.---there's a lot to do & see.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
You could stay Downtown and take the city bus to the ballpark on gameday. There's an express bus that goes right down Wisconsin Avenue and takes you right to the front gate at Miller Park. Route 93. Milwaukee County Transit System

So you could easily stay at a downtown chain hotel like Holiday Inn, Ramada, Howard Johnson, etc. which would likely be in your price range.

As for things to do during a weekend in June, take your pick! You'll find no other city that gets out and enjoys nice weather more than Milwaukee.

I would recommend checking out the Shepherd Express (Milwaukee's alternative newsweekly) the week before you come to see what's going on.

Here's a tip: if you really must take a brewery tour (because we all know that's one of the things you're "supposed" to do in Milwaukee) do yourself a favor and forgo the Miller tour. Take the Lakefront Brewery tour instead.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
If you will be staying a few days, then I recommend not staying near the ball park. It's kind of secluded.

Milwaukee Ronnie had a good point. Downtown would be great. Take the bus and don't worry about driving. Then when you are at the hotel, you can walk to a lot of the other places.

Also Summerfest would be great like karfar mentioned if you are here at that time.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
Here's a tip: if you really must take a brewery tour (because we all know that's one of the things you're "supposed" to do in Milwaukee) do yourself a favor and forgo the Miller tour. Take the Lakefront Brewery tour instead.
I have lived here my whole life & never went on any brewery tour, how odd is that??

Old 04-09-2008, 02:22 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Hi - we are going to be visting Milwaukee in June - watching the Twins v. Brewers!

We have stayed there before - in Brookfield. However, we would like something a little closer to the ball park. Can you recommend something closer, nice, relatively cheap (under $150/night).

What else can we do there. We are going to be in town from a Thursday night thru Sunday. Thanks!!
As mentioned, downtown. Some public transportation was mentioned. Cabs are inexpensive, especially with multiple people in it, and quick and easy from downtown. Also, many hotels and bars have shuttles to and from the ballpark in the city as well.

Post back when you have a list of possible hotel choices for recommendations on them.

I wouldn't stay anywhere but downtown if it were me. You have walking access to the lakefront and parks, walking access to multiple festivals going on at that time. Downtown is safe and you'll have lots to do and see in the different neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM

442 posts, read 496,664 times
Thanks guys!

Plans have changed and we will be coming there in just 10 days!! PLanning panic!!

So - how about the Ramada Downtown? (Its called Ramada Milwaukee City Center). Decent? What about the neighborhood? Close to lakefront/etc?

We are hopign to go to a zoo, and whatever else is family friendly (2 boys - 4 and 1)

Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Thanks guys!

Plans have changed and we will be coming there in just 10 days!! PLanning panic!!

So - how about the Ramada Downtown? (Its called Ramada Milwaukee City Center). Decent? What about the neighborhood? Close to lakefront/etc?

We are hopign to go to a zoo, and whatever else is family friendly (2 boys - 4 and 1)
Ramada Inn is fine, it's on 6th & Michigan so approximately maybe 10 blocks from the lake?? The public museum is 3 blocks from there, it's a really good museum & the Body World exhibit is going on right now. The zoo is about a 10-15 min. drive depending on traffic, plan to go there earlier in the day, you'll be going the opposite way of all the traffic. The Domes is close by as well, although your kids probably won't be too interested in looking at plants. Discovery World is down on the lake, if you take Michigan straight east you'll run right into it, it's new & supposed to be really cool. Oh yeah, where Ramada is situated isn't really a bad location, just keep an eye out if you're walking around at night, which you probably won't be doing anyway. Cabs are plentiful, just have the front desk call you one. Have fun!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
I haven't heard much one way or the other about the Downtown Ramada. But it's downtown and most of the fun stuff to do would be within a 20 minute walk. A block from the bus stop where you would pick up the express to Miller Park. Have fun, and GO BREWERS!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Ramada is ok. I'm not a big fan. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for you and what you need. It's a safe, no frills, economic hotel, not far from many parts of downtown via work or short ride. It's not next to much of anything except the highway and Bus Station, but it is not far from anything either. Much of your "action" will be East and North of there. You won't be heading West, which is Marquette University.

The Ramada is in Southwestern parts of downtown, about 15 blocks or so from Lake Michigan. Much of the action in Milwaukee takes place near the Milwaukee River and East of it, in downtown Milwaukee, if you look at a map.

Body Worlds has been running in a lot of cities the past few years and it recently has come to Milwaukee, and it's worth a day, 2 blocks to Ramada's North. The Third Ward is about 6 blocks East along St. Paul.

The Courtyard and Residence Inn down the street are much better choices, but you'll pay more for them. Comfort Inn on State Street has nice rooms and a nice quiet scenic area, and imo a good find. Great views of downtown and the Lake. It's also affordable, in a nice area of Milwaukee.

The Doubletree would be a little bit of an upgrade from the Ramada just down the street, but comparable.

There are a few much higher priced ones that I'd recommend but if you started with Ramada, I won't bother.

The Ambassador is a nice place but it's further West past Marquette's campus and isn't far from rough neighborhoods. Don't wonder around the neighborhoods. They have very good safety at the hotel, free parking, free shuttles to Miller Park, and downtown constantly, ...huge rooms and suites(many musicians who perform next door at the Rave stay there as have some ballplayers relatives) Prices are right. The issue with this one is you will have to rely on the shuttle or cab or driving. I was skeptical when I was going to stay there and I really enjoyed it a lot, a nice little boutique hotel with great rooms and service. I would stay there again without hesitation.

If Ramada is your best option, then I'd go with it, it's fine for what you need.

As with any urban area, be smart, use common sense. If anything, the Ramada is slightly isolated from activity, in a non-scenic way, but not far from it. Cleanliness and room quality isn't great imo. There will be lots of people staying there along with you during that time, for the same reasons you are doing it. Summer is a busy time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee