Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times

Advertisements

All I ever seem to hear is how bad rust-belt cities are and how their economies suck. But how is Milwaukee?

How is the manufacturing sector there? Would a professional with a technical background stand a good chance of finding a job in a manufacturing field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:03 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
All I ever seem to hear is how bad rust-belt cities are and how their economies suck. But how is Milwaukee?

How is the manufacturing sector there? Would a professional with a technical background stand a good chance of finding a job in a manufacturing field?
The mining industry is still going very strong. P&H is a great place to find a job if you have what they are looking for. Bucyrus is also located in the area doing the same type of stuff.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:44 AM

236 posts, read 615,227 times
Milwaukee's economy sucks.Its the 8th most impoverished city in the country,and last I checked,had the second highest unemployment rate (behind Detroit) of any medium /large sized city in the country.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post

That's something I'd like to know. From my perspective, the (good) job market is DOA. My field, absolutely no takers, or they're a slick talker who has the ubiquitous "great opportunity", but of course can't pay nearly what you're worth. It is really disappointing, because if the job market can't be kept above water, and if good employers can't be lured to the area, the area doesn't have a very strong future. I'd hate to see that, because there are so many good things about the area.

I'm sure there are jobs available, just not as many as I would think looking at Milwaukee from afar, and once in a while, from within. I would expect to have a much more vibrant economy since shucking the old factory town image. the key is not to lose employers, especially economically viable ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee