Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 23,581 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job change with a move to Milwaukee. I'd be working on the north side, so to minimize commute I'm looking at Whitefish Bay, Glendale and maybe Mequon. I'm very attracted to the walkability and proximity to the lake in WFB, but the lots are so small and Holy Taxes, Batman! We currently have a quite small yard in our current very walkable suburb, and I was hoping to get more room for the kids to play if we are going to make a change. I have 3 kids, we'd ideally like4 bedrooms, but schools are the top priority. My housing budget is ideally under $400K, I could stretch that to $450 or *maybe* $475K for the right place (really don't want to go that high), so not sure we can make WFB work. I don't want to spend $475K for a house with only room for a table and grill outside. I really want a neighborhood with sidewalks. I looked at Cedarburg, which seems like a sweet town, but it is too long of a commute for me.

It is a little harder to figure out the school feeder situation in Glendale than WFB. Are they all "good"? I know rankings have so many limitations. Both elem kids play lacrosse in town leagues, which isn't much of a sport in the midwest, looks like Nicolet may have a club team? Not imperative, clearly we have to compromise on some things.

A move to Milwaukee would get us closer to family, I'm just trying to decide if it is "worth it." All taxes seem to be higher - property, income and sales. My parents are from Wisconsin, and I grew up in the Chicago area and went to grad school in MN, so while I have no experience with Milwaukee, it somewhat seems like coming "home" to me.

I'm hoping to take a few days to come check it out in person, ideally I'd visit a few districts/schools.but won't get there in time before the schools are closed for summer.

Any suggestions, insight is welcome. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 12:27 PM

253 posts, read 393,978 times
The pattern for Glendale Schools:

Parkway -> Glen Hills Middle School -> Nicolet High School

Based on what I know, Parkway is good, and the middle school is so-so.

Nicolet High is outstanding and ranks high.

Glendale is not walkable, but a very affordable option with very large lots.

**Taxes are high in many of the inner ring suburbs close to the city (Wisconsin in general has very high taxes), so you will not be able to escape them..lol.

Mequon is a nice community, but does not have the walkable neighborhoods you are looking for (yet). The schools are great there as well.

I would keep Cedarburg on your list, the commute is only an issue in the winter. You may want to add Shorewood as well. I like the urban suburban feel of Shorewood, and the schools are great.

WFB has one of the top school districts in the state. If you can get past the small lot size, and get involved in recreation elsewhere, the community is still a worthy option.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Shorewood has a great theater department, WFB and Mequon are usually 1st or 2nd best school districts every year with each district swapping every other year or so it seems. Mequon does now have walk ability with all the Foxtown development or you could look into Thiensville as well. I live a mile or so from downtown Mequon/Thiensville and with all the trails and paved pathways that connect all the subdivisions it's more walk able than most outsiders think.

Mequon, larger houses, large lots, low taxes but there is a decent amount of starter homes in the 250-350 range. My house is at the 250K range and my property taxes are $2,500!!! So we chose Mequon over WFB for the larges lots and lower taxes.

The great thing about Shorewood, WFB is they are small and kids and people in generally can get anywhere in the town by walking.

I love Mequon even a lot more than I thought, I thought I would move here and a year later we would be back downtown. I hated the suburbs before I moved into one.

You really can't go wrong with any one you choose.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 PM

12 posts, read 23,581 times
Thank you both for your replies. Looks like I'll be able to get out there in a couple of weeks for 2 days to explore a bit. I'll definitely give Mequon and Shorewood a serious look as well.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 PM

I like to call Glendale an upscale Greenfield, it's not that different kinda typical suburbia and awkward city boundries just like Greenfield.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Walkability was one of our top critera as well. We landed in Shorewood after looking at a few areas including WFB. Yes, our yard is a postage stamp but the kids are out riding their bike around town, walking down to the school to play, or running around with their friends. The sacrifice was worth it to us to be able to walk to school, out to dinner, to the grocery store, coffee shop, beach, etc.

I don't know where you'd be working in the north but it's pretty easy to commute N/S along the lake. The difference between Shorewood and WFB would be negligible. It's when you have to start going E/W that commutes become a PITA.

I agree with a previous poster to look into Cedarburg. I don't know much about it but it's a very cute town that seems walkable. Of course it's small and father from the city but I've never heard a negative thing about it.

Oh, and lacrosse is respectable in the Shorewood/WFB/Nicolet area. Not east coast big but I know lots of kids in lacrosse.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
This is sort of a random thought, but have you looked at Port Washington?

Small town, very walkable, wide range of properties available, not a bad commute to the north side of MKE.

RM

Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
In case the OP ever comes back or if anyone else is curious.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/brookfie...nTPmP4B7ilKQGY

Niche WI school ranking (7 out of the top 10 in the Milwaukee area!)

1. Brookfield (Elmbrook)
2. Whitefish Bay
3. Mequon
5. Shorewood
6. Greendale
8. Cedarburg
10. Pewaukee

Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper3 View Post
I am considering a job change with a move to Milwaukee. I'd be working on the north side, so to minimize commute I'm looking at Whitefish Bay, Glendale and maybe Mequon. I'm very attracted to the walkability and proximity to the lake in WFB, but the lots are so small and Holy Taxes, Batman! We currently have a quite small yard in our current very walkable suburb, and I was hoping to get more room for the kids to play if we are going to make a change. I have 3 kids, we'd ideally like4 bedrooms, but schools are the top priority. My housing budget is ideally under $400K, I could stretch that to $450 or *maybe* $475K for the right place (really don't want to go that high), so not sure we can make WFB work. I don't want to spend $475K for a house with only room for a table and grill outside. I really want a neighborhood with sidewalks. I looked at Cedarburg, which seems like a sweet town, but it is too long of a commute for me.

It is a little harder to figure out the school feeder situation in Glendale than WFB. Are they all "good"? I know rankings have so many limitations. Both elem kids play lacrosse in town leagues, which isn't much of a sport in the midwest, looks like Nicolet may have a club team? Not imperative, clearly we have to compromise on some things.

A move to Milwaukee would get us closer to family, I'm just trying to decide if it is "worth it." All taxes seem to be higher - property, income and sales. My parents are from Wisconsin, and I grew up in the Chicago area and went to grad school in MN, so while I have no experience with Milwaukee, it somewhat seems like coming "home" to me.

I'm hoping to take a few days to come check it out in person, ideally I'd visit a few districts/schools.but won't get there in time before the schools are closed for summer.

Any suggestions, insight is welcome. Thank you in advance.

WFB is definitely doable with under $450K. It has very good school systems, lots are small but taxes are high everywhere in Milwaukee county. I think WFB taxes are reasonable. Glendale has a good schools, but never could approach to be able to claim their schools are the best.

Mequon has bigger lots, better access to nature, lower taxes. Mequon's schools are on equal terms with WFB. They have a lot of nice things going there (and not going anywhere else) - like chess school for kids. But it is not walkable

Old 08-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Mequon has bigger lots, better access to nature, lower taxes. Mequon's schools are on equal terms with WFB. They have a lot of nice things going there (and not going anywhere else) - like chess school for kids. But it is not walkable

I would argue with you that it's not walkable, with the recent new developments if you live within 2 miles of Thiensville you are a 40 in walk at the most to a lot of things to do in Mequon. There are also subdivision connector trails that connect all the subdivisions so you don't have to take busy streets and it's a more direct route. I live about 1.5 miles away from the Mequon Public Market so that's about a 30 min walk, very doable and we do it quiet a bit. I do see a lot of people walking there as well so I know I am not the only one plus there are a ton of people riding there bike to the "new downtown Mequon".

BTW we have a lot lower taxes than anywhere else, I live in a modest $250K house and my taxes are $2,500 a year with a 1.5 acre, in WFB those taxes would be at least double. It's the main reason we chose Mequon over WFB and Fox Point, however I would justify those high taxes if I could grab one of those lovely midcentury homes in Fox Point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee