Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 8,638 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I may be relocating from Chicago to Milwaukee. Married with two young boys (2 and 2 month old). The job will be downtown. Looking to commute no more than 45 minutes to work. Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods with good schools, home prices in the $300-450K, good activities for the kids, things to do for adults...some restaurants and bars and shops would be nice, low crime, good public services and access to amenities such as shoppings, grocery, doctors, etc.

Don't really know anything about Milwaukee at this point.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 04:24 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,024,209 times
Well if you can relate us to what you like in Chicago we can find you a Wisco alternate such as...Lake Forest I would direct you to Fox Point-Bayside-River Hills-Mequon. If you like Schaumburg then Brookfield/Waukesha/Pewaukee, not everything correlates but you can get close to a equivalent.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,350 times
I agree it'd be helpful to know what kinds of neighborhoods you like. There are several that would fit your parameters in terms of price/commute/good schools/convenient, but with distinctly different "feels" - i.e. more of a traditional suburbia with newer homes and larger lots in subdivisions, shopping malls/chain restaurants/big box stores vs. suburbs that have the "quaint" vibe with older homes, sidewalks/walkability, etc.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 8,638 times
We currently live in Oak Park IL right now. Close to city, old homes, small lots, urban feel with shops, restaurants and amenities all nearby. We're open to something similar but lately we've been talking about looking into new homes with bigger lots and ore privacy. So I guess I'm open to both. I know that doesn't give much to go on.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,214,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newchicagoresident View Post
We currently live in Oak Park IL right now. Close to city, old homes, small lots, urban feel with shops, restaurants and amenities all nearby. We're open to something similar but lately we've been talking about looking into new homes with bigger lots and ore privacy. So I guess I'm open to both. I know that doesn't give much to go on.
Look at Shorewood.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,147,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Look at Shorewood.
Welcome to our neighborhood. You'll love it here. We even have our own FLW house.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:51 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,024,209 times
Oak Park= Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Wauwatosa. (approximation)

Want larger lots with Privacy; Mequon, Richfield, Pewaukee, Delafield, Chenequa, Hartland, Oconomowoc Lake, Nashota, Wales, Ottawa.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:43 PM

165 posts, read 308,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newchicagoresident View Post
Hi all,

My family and I may be relocating from Chicago to Milwaukee. Married with two young boys (2 and 2 month old). The job will be downtown. Looking to commute no more than 45 minutes to work. Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods with good schools, home prices in the $300-450K, good activities for the kids, things to do for adults...some restaurants and bars and shops would be nice, low crime, good public services and access to amenities such as shoppings, grocery, doctors, etc.

Don't really know anything about Milwaukee at this point.

Thanks
We are in the process of a similar move from Chicago, 2 young kids, wife commuting downtown, kid friendly/shopping/dining/etc. We are moving to Brookfield. We are just in process of moving right now, but feel free to reach out with specific questions going forward. Seems like a great town though!

We are coming from Brookfield, IL (yeah, I know, Brookfield --> Brookfield), so in some ways similar to Oak Park. The closest comparison I've seen here seems to be Wauwatosa. Brookfield WI seems to be a combination of maybe Downers Grove + Naperville, but with a combo of older, well kept ranches and newer, larger homes. Similar emphasis on family life though.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2019, 11:33 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,859,295 times
In Milwaukee County - East of Milwaukee river or West of I41. If you want a city life - Walker's Point (and around), Bradley Street (and around), Bay View, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay (WFB is the furthest with still a city and not a suburb feel).

If you want suburbs - all of them are good. Fox Point is where some Trump buddy lives (he's been seen here recently by my wife). Out of suburbs special notice should be given to Mequon and Brookfield.

If you want good schools - Whitefish Bay, Mequon, Brookfield, Shorewood, Wauwatosa (in no particular order), sorry if I missed other great school districts. Fox Point/ Bay Side shares High School with Glendale. I think Nicolet High School offers great opportunities to a dedicated students, but might lack small school peer pressure to excel.

River Hills is an excellent community for rich people. If you can afford a house there, you should ask your buddies which private school is best

Old 08-12-2019, 01:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,147,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
In Milwaukee County - East of Milwaukee river or West of I41. If you want a city life - Walker's Point (and around), Bradley Street (and around), Bay View, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay (WFB is the furthest with still a city and not a suburb feel).

If you want suburbs - all of them are good. Fox Point is where some Trump buddy lives (he's been seen here recently by my wife). Out of suburbs special notice should be given to Mequon and Brookfield.

If you want good schools - Whitefish Bay, Mequon, Brookfield, Shorewood, Wauwatosa (in no particular order), sorry if I missed other great school districts. Fox Point/ Bay Side shares High School with Glendale. I think Nicolet High School offers great opportunities to a dedicated students, but might lack small school peer pressure to excel.

River Hills is an excellent community for rich people. If you can afford a house there, you should ask your buddies which private school is best
I'd go with the one in River Hills, University School of Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee