Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM

2,457 posts, read 1,706,571 times

Advertisements

These types of threads and posts make me really sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 01:04 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,156,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
These types of threads and posts make me really sad.

Ok, I'll bite, why?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:15 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,420,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
It also depends which fast food place you go to, for some odd reason Taco Bell and Wendys is always asking me if I want this sauce or this other sauce on foods that don't often come with those sauces and I think to myself, who is putting these weird sauces on their food. So I chalk it up to the people taking the order like those sauces with their food. I once was asked do you want hot sauce with your chicken strips? I said no, then they asked if I wanted ranch? and I thought what the hell is going on at this Culvers.
Tell them you want butter. LOTS of butter....

RM

Old 11-30-2019, 03:26 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,301,716 times
sam812, I hope you understand my post was not meant to start a ripple of any emotion. I just wanted to share my experience from Friday, and get other's views.... What did you find sad, if you don't mind?

Old 11-30-2019, 06:14 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,156,913 times
Oh I forgot this little story, me and a buddy were out eating at bar and grill downtown after opening day. As we just got our food and starting eating the waitress came over to my friend and said "Would you like some hot sauce with that?" a puzzled me looked over and he said "ah yes thank you so much," and I made fun of him by saying "your gonna put hot sauce on that!?" to which he replied "black people put hot sauce on everything". I learned something that day, black people love hot sauce. Then he said I bet you have no less than 10 cans of soup at home? huh, I thought about it for a second and yes we always have soup in the house. To which he told me white people love soup, huh I never noticed but he was right, we are always eating soup and have soup in the house. I learned something that day about white people. I also got a lesson on why I hate hot sauce as my friends and yes we were tipsy decided to put some hot sauce on my burger while I ran to the bathroom, I think it's weird that people put BBQ sauce on steak and ribs but that's just me.

So you see he appreciated the fact the waitress brought over hot sauce probably because she has picked up on this sort of thing in the past and I learned we love soup

Old 11-30-2019, 07:26 PM

2,457 posts, read 1,706,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
sam812, I hope you understand my post was not meant to start a ripple of any emotion. I just wanted to share my experience from Friday, and get other's views.... What did you find sad, if you don't mind?
I am 50 and was super lucky that when growing up in rural South Dakota skin color meant nothing. Till I moved to North Carolina at 18 I had never even seen a real racist act. Trust me in the 80s racism was alive and well there.

I understand it exists but it baffles me beyond belief why, so all discussions about it makes me sad that it still exists or ever existed.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:20 PM

3,339 posts, read 1,834,759 times
Quote:
Hello, city-data.com community. Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I enjoy the thoughts subscribers share. I'm willing to hear some thoughts: Today, en route to Chicago, my children and I stopped at a Burger King in Racine, off of the expressway. We ordered our food and then waited aside, near the drink machine. I speak Spanish with my children, so I had a conversation with one of my daughters in Spanish...A worker who was cleaning tables said to me, in English: We also have picante sauce if you like... I answered in English: Ok. Thank you.... Then she went behind the counter to where they prepare the food, and said: you can also get jalapeno peppers on your burgers. I replied again in English: Ok. Thanks again... so what do you think???
About what?
I like hot sauce on many foods and often have to request it.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 1,834,759 times
Just noticed the thread title.
Put some piquante sauce on that chip you seem to be carrying.. then throw it in the garbage.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:31 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,326,319 times
Quote:
Hello, city-data.com community. Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I enjoy the thoughts subscribers share. I'm willing to hear some thoughts: Today, en route to Chicago, my children and I stopped at a Burger King in Racine, off of the expressway. We ordered our food and then waited aside, near the drink machine. I speak Spanish with my children, so I had a conversation with one of my daughters in Spanish...A worker who was cleaning tables said to me, in English: We also have picante sauce if you like... I answered in English: Ok. Thank you.... Then she went behind the counter to where they prepare the food, and said: you can also get jalapeno peppers on your burgers. I replied again in English: Ok. Thanks again... so what do you think???
Master Jay, there's nothing wrong with wondering about this and asking about it.

I think the worker was just being nice. I also suspect that they've had some Spanish speakers (clientele as well as workers?) in the past asking for hot sauce and jalapenos, so perhaps she figured she'd jump on it and proactively offer the items.

If the items offered were incompatible with what you were eating, then I would be suspicious, but this sounds fine. It's like an American overseas being offered ketchup or something like that--maybe she was also trying to show that she's culturally attuned.

The real problem, though, is that you went to Burger King instead of A&W or Kewpie!

Old 11-30-2019, 09:15 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,301,716 times
Empidonax, hello. It's only because I had to use some coupons up soon! I went to the Burger King by my house, on Forest Home not too long ago and THAT was a real horror story!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee