Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 12:48 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times

Advertisements

Last year I visited Milwaukee for the first time and I loved it, enough to consider buying a house and moving here part-time. So this year after my partner and I visited family in Madison for Thanksgiving, we went to Milwaukee for a few days (my partner’s first time here) and he also loved it. But one thing we noticed (which I kind of noticed last time, but this time it was VERY apparent) was how self-deprecating everyone was about their city. Most people we met were incredibly friendly but in two days, we literally had at least seven people tell or ask us “what are you doing in a boring place like this?” or some variation. When we said we were visiting family in Madison and wanted to check out Milwaukee too, a few people even told us how much better they thought Madison was.

I guess I’m wondering...are people just being humble, or do they really not know what a great city they live in? I mean, it’s cold AF but that describes a lot of the rest of the country right now, and I’m sure there are things that aren’t great about here (same as with every city), but we have never seen such a citywide self-deprecation phenomenon anywhere else. For instance, in Madison there is no shortage of people telling us how great it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 06:56 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
It’s a problem not just in Milwaukee, but in a lot of areas around Wisconsin.
I keep saying if people played up the good of Wisconsin more, it would have no problem with growth. Economics, politics, and education are not the issue. Quality of life and affordability across the board are above the national average. It’s the people who don’t have the sort of boosterism required to get the word out.
Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities by far, and Wisconsin is a great state. I just think people have no clue how good they have it, or perhaps they don’t want too many people moving in.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:20 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
I live here, and think the city and metro area have a lot going for them. And I say that as someone who has lived in Calif., Florida, and Colorado.. among other states/cities.

Here, I like the old and historic buildings in downtown, 3rd ward, east side, etc. I like the Hoan bridge and Bay View neighborhoods. Love the residential neighborhoods and older housing. The lakefront and various parks are great. Mitchell airport is not too far out and easy enough to get to, and fly in and out of. The breweries and brewery tours are fun. Within a 6-7 mile radius of where I live are 3 decent malls, if that's a persons thing. Never lived anywhere with that, before. There is definitely cultural venues if a person likes that. Most people here are quite OK, if not the best or most patient drivers. The seasons lend variety though I wouldn't mind a little less snow. I personally would rather have colder temps than snow/ice.

Things I don't like would include population density, since there older homes are built close together, many are duplexes, and there are just more peeps per sq mile than anywhere I've lived. Property taxes are a little steep, I wouldn't have my kids in Milwaukee Public Schools, and there are some pretty large areas of the city proper that aren't real safe. The burbs, even the close-in burbs like Wauwatosa and West Allis are better in that regard.

As for the state itself, it has a tremendous system of public universities, which benefited my kids greatly, and gave them options and top schools we would not have had in Colorado or Florida had I stayed in those places.

Those people claiming it's boring here would probably be "bored" anywhere. Metro area is about 1.6 million, so there is something for everyone unless you just have no interests, or have lived here all your life and are jaded.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 AM

213 posts, read 165,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It’s a problem not just in Milwaukee, but in a lot of areas around Wisconsin.
I keep saying if people played up the good of Wisconsin more, it would have no problem with growth. Economics, politics, and education are not the issue. Quality of life and affordability across the board are above the national average. It’s the people who don’t have the sort of boosterism required to get the word out.
Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities by far, and Wisconsin is a great state. I just think people have no clue how good they have it, or perhaps they don’t want too many people moving in.
exactly, people don't realize or don't see all the good aspects. WI is a great state, with Madison and Milwaukee and many other small towns.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Being a tourist and living in a place permanently are two very different things.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
The thing about Milwaukee is it’s in the Midwest. People hate change here. Anything cool or different or progressive is viewed with disdain. “My money isn’t going towards that”. It’s frustrating to live here when everything is met with resistance.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The thing about Milwaukee is it’s in the Midwest. People hate change here. Anything cool or different or progressive is viewed with disdain. “My money isn’t going towards that”. It’s frustrating to live here when everything is met with resistance.

And those areas that grip tight to Happy Days days fall further and further behind economically. Their brightest youth leave, the ones that stay, well, aren't generally the brightest. Sure, a token amount may return to raise families, but not many.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Milwaukee and Wisconsin are more liberal/progressive than most of the country. We're seeing another case of "Milwaukee self-deprecation" here

Old 12-03-2019, 10:49 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Milwaukee and Wisconsin are more liberal/progressive than most of the country. We're seeing another case of "Milwaukee self-deprecation" here
Not really.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
It's all an act, we know how awesome Milwaukee is, we just don't want it to become another Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee