Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,324 times

Advertisements

Even with oppertunites in other places that will pay more and have more bennies, I'm thinking about coming back home. Instead of more people running away from the city its time for Milwaukee's talent to come back. As long as the talent keeps running, Milwaukee will stay as it is. I constantly see people bashing MPS, and I went to some of the schools mentioned and I think I came out well. I graduated from Washington HS in 99, and ran off to the navy. If more of us stop running come back and actually have something to provide to the city of Milwaukee, we can make our town better.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a big mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I graduated from Washington too...in the late 70s. Go Purgolders! I still have many friends and family in the area and it would be natural to return.

But every winter, just about everyone I know moans and groans about the weather and the cold. I have no desire to return to such god-awful weather. It really does reduce the quality of life.

Milwaukee has an increase in ignorant blacks ruining the city. Yes, I know there is racism and other races have their ignorant segments too, but when I think of that north side and the level of collosal ignorance there, I want no part of Milwaukee...and I'm black. People are simply sick to death of ignorant, loud-mouth black people who have no manners, no education, and no respect.

Milwaukee is very slow to change. The influx of ignorant black people has outpaced Milwaukee's ability to control them. That's how slow the place is. Also, the place has a stagnant job market. After graduating from college, I had an incredible time finding work there. Not a good place for highly-educated, dynamic black men. I had to leave to get opportunities and build my fortune. Had I stayed, I'd still be unloading trucks at UPS despite a college degree. I was fortunate to get out.

Yet, there are aspects about Mlwaukee that I miss. People are more down-to-earth, more genuine. I have plenty of support there from family and friends, far more than in any other place around the country. I could easily afford one or two homes in any of the nicer areas, Fox Point, Whitefish Bay, Elm Grove, Shorewood. When I lived there before, I was unloading trucks at UPS. Now, I'm a lawyer with a lot of money, a family, etc. I'm older too. It could work I suppose. But those damn ignorant blacks(and the resulting backlash against all blacks educated or not) and the cold temperatures I find unbearable. To get me back, someone would have to make me an offer I couldn't refuse.

But I do understand your sentiments. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I graduated from Washington too...in the late 70s. Go Purgolders! I still have many friends and family in the area and it would be natural to return.

But every winter, just about everyone I know moans and groans about the weather and the cold. I have no desire to return to such god-awful weather. It really does reduce the quality of life.

Milwaukee has an increase in ignorant blacks ruining the city. Yes, I know there is racism and other races have their ignorant segments too, but when I think of that north side and the level of collosal ignorance there, I want no part of Milwaukee...and I'm black. People are simply sick to death of ignorant, loud-mouth black people who have no manners, no education, and no respect.

Milwaukee is very slow to change. The influx of ignorant black people has outpaced Milwaukee's ability to control them. That's how slow the place is. Also, the place has a stagnant job market. After graduating from college, I had an incredible time finding work there. Not a good place for highly-educated, dynamic black men. I had to leave to get opportunities and build my fortune. Had I stayed, I'd still be unloading trucks at UPS despite a college degree. I was fortunate to get out.

Yet, there are aspects about Mlwaukee that I miss. People are more down-to-earth, more genuine. I have plenty of support there from family and friends, far more than in any other place around the country. I could easily afford one or two homes in any of the nicer areas, Fox Point, Whitefish Bay, Elm Grove, Shorewood. When I lived there before, I was unloading trucks at UPS. Now, I'm a lawyer with a lot of money, a family, etc. I'm older too. It could work I suppose. But those damn ignorant blacks(and the resulting backlash against all blacks educated or not) and the cold temperatures I find unbearable. To get me back, someone would have to make me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I agree with everything you said! The weather really does hurt the city. I feel miserable during winter and don't want to do as much. That's the main reason that I want to leave Milwaukee.

I also agree with the comment about ignorant blacks. I hope I don't come across as sounding racist because I'm white, but I'm far from it. I have many African-American friends. However, I hate when those in the "ghetto" areas resort to crime and blame it on their living status. They say that because they are black and poor they HAVE to do it.

Alexus... you are a prime example of why they are wrong. You went to an MPS school and have a better job than most that go to suburban school. You are out living life to it's fullest which is great.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I understand what you mean, and when I was a teenager I was one of those ignorant blacks till my parents but me on that bus to go to bootcamp and they said I was a differnet person 9 weeks later. There is a large lack of males for the poor kids in the city. After living all over the world it has become a bigger issue to me than just black and white, because i have seen the same thing all over the world in differnent cutures lack of males around who create families then leave. I'm not coming back to change the world, but to just let my family see there's more to life than Milwaukee. There is a bunch of "Milwaukee till I die" mentality around and that has to stop. As far as the racism is concerned, I personally dont know how I will deal with that until I face it. I'm hoping adding small pockets of hope can do more for my family that is still here. I'm thinking good people in the city makes business boom and attract more business and more oppertunites for all.

Now my problem is. I have had offers from several places outside of Wisconsin for jobs. I have interviewed at DIA, and a few other Govt agencies, but no calls from employers in wisconsin yet. So I know I'm a person who can be employed, whats taking The places in milwaukee so long to get off there ###.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Well said Alexus-i couldn't agree more. The weather and close minded employers are the reasons I left. I too have thought about if I'd ever return. I was warned from others that employers would hold it against me, the fact that I had the audacity to leave.
The endless winter and close minded "status quo" mentality finally drove me away, and will be a big deterrent to my ever returning. It's too bad really, because there are so many good decent hard working folks there.
Not that Tulsa is an open-minded utopia, it's just that I'm really beginning to see just how closed off, and change resistant the Milwaukee area is. No wonder people leave.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM

48 posts, read 176,426 times
Quote:

The bolded portion of your response is clearly explains the main reasons that I left Milwaukee never to live there again. I'm not at all bashing Milwaukee in the least, but having a college degree and working for under $10 an hour was not the life I wanted to live. I am black also, but I got so fed up with the influx of ignorant, unprofessional, ghetto people there that have no goals or ambitions, that I packed up, moved & landed a great job with great pay within 3 months of moving. Good place to visit, but I can never live there again. I lived there almost my entire life up until 5 years ago....I can't explain it, but there is a big difference in the attitudes & the way ppl live there. Sad but true.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
Even with oppertunites in other places that will pay more and have more bennies, I'm thinking about coming back home. Instead of more people running away from the city its time for Milwaukee's talent to come back. As long as the talent keeps running, Milwaukee will stay as it is. I constantly see people bashing MPS, and I went to some of the schools mentioned and I think I came out well. I graduated from Washington HS in 99, and ran off to the navy. If more of us stop running come back and actually have something to provide to the city of Milwaukee, we can make our town better.
Thanks. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear some positivity and perspective on this board, for a change. Milwaukee is a city that, obviously, as huge negatives, but it also has many positives. I'm white but I choose to live in the city, in Sherman Park, so I see those negatives every day. I see behavior and attitudes on a daily basis that I will never understand. I see such ignorant, anti-social behavior both in the city and out in the suburbs, that sometimes it's hard not to let it get you down.

But I choose to engage my community, rather than draw my curtains or run away from it. I find that when you engage your neighborhood and the civic life of where you live, you can deal with the negatives because you know that despite the social and economic differences that divide us, most people are inherently positive and want to see change. They might not always know how to make change in their own lives or in their communities, but I believe that the vast majority of people really want to do better.

You can blame everything on "those people" and remove yourself to a new environment where "those poeple" don't exist, or you can engage with what's going on around you, stay positive, yet realistic, and try to make things better.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:

... Now my problem is. I have had offers from several places outside of Wisconsin for jobs. I have interviewed at DIA, and a few other Govt agencies, but no calls from employers in wisconsin yet. So I know I'm a person who can be employed, whats taking The places in milwaukee so long to get off there ###.
Unfortunately that's what I've seen, and it's a problem that affects everyone coming from out of town. It's a real problem.

There is a very odd distrust built into a lot of people from the area and I'm unsure of why. Because of this, breaking into anything (a job, social circle, etc) is very difficult. When you drop the bomb that you're from Out of Townâ„¢, it gets very cold in the room. Some areas are much less scornful about the somewhere-else factor, like most of the North Shore, where one finds more "transient" people who are more likely to have come from elsewhere.

In my opinion, that attitude keeps employers from moving to Milwaukee, keeps employees from moving to Milwaukee, and overall, makes it somewhat difficult for people to relocate. Once a person is there, everything is fine, but breaking that layer of ice is something that's easier passed up for other places. The hiring process seems to be seriously afflicted by this problem.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Unfortunately that's what I've seen, and it's a problem that affects everyone coming from out of town. It's a real problem.

There is a very odd distrust built into a lot of people from the area and I'm unsure of why. Because of this, breaking into anything (a job, social circle, etc) is very difficult. When you drop the bomb that you're from Out of Townâ„¢, it gets very cold in the room. Some areas are much less scornful about the somewhere-else factor, like most of the North Shore, where one finds more "transient" people who are more likely to have come from elsewhere.

In my opinion, that attitude keeps employers from moving to Milwaukee, keeps employees from moving to Milwaukee, and overall, makes it somewhat difficult for people to relocate. Once a person is there, everything is fine, but breaking that layer of ice is something that's easier passed up for other places. The hiring process seems to be seriously afflicted by this problem.

I'm using a Milwaukee address, and I have a milwaukee Cell number, so I wonder what the problem is? I'm sure they can see that my current employer is the military, but something is up. If I can't get a job there I can't move. I'm not even asking for that much. I can get close to 6 figures in other places due to cost of living, but I"m looking for less than half that in Milwaukee and I haven't gotten any calls. I still got a little time, so I'm not worried. I'm wondering do employers see military and think I have some PTSD issues or something?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
I'm using a Milwaukee address, and I have a milwaukee Cell number, so I wonder what the problem is? I'm sure they can see that my current employer is the military, but something is up. If I can't get a job there I can't move. I'm not even asking for that much. I can get close to 6 figures in other places due to cost of living, but I"m looking for less than half that in Milwaukee and I haven't gotten any calls. I still got a little time, so I'm not worried. I'm wondering do employers see military and think I have some PTSD issues or something?

If they're so small-minded that they associate military with bad employee, they suck. Maybe one or two might but I don't think that's it. Some of it is probably dependent on availability. Also employers in Milwaukee are somewhat slow moving compared to other areas of the country, whether that is related to availability, I'm not sure. I used to have to hire people on the spot in DC, otherwise they would be gone tomorrow.

The job market is just not that good in Milwaukee from what I can tell. The costs of doing business in the area don't lure employers there; crime keeps them away also. However, I really admire your attitude. Given the right opportunity, I would consider living there again full time also. I think that a lot of it is what you make of it, and a person can be successful there.

Out here in Arizona, people move here with jobs (still) all the time, and are employed shortly thereafter. Maybe not their choice of fields, but people can go to work if they want to, in this town.

I'm with you on the incomes too. Six figures elsewhere, in Milwaukee, I get clowns who are out "tire-kicking" hoping to acquire something for nothing. I would too, but that's not how it works.

Whatever the case, keep it up, sooner or later, you'll hook up with an opportunity. You might even bump up your salary requirements, unless (obviously) the going rate in Milwaukee is low. Sometimes that makes a candidate look really legitimate because they are asking for every bit of what they're worth. Good luck with your search and your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee