Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 07:22 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I bought a new house in Indiana in November. Decided last month I didn't want it. Sold it the second day it was listed to the first buyer for $10k more than I paid. I've already closed on it.

When has the market been so crazy that you could flip a house in under six months and make a profit? 2008?

RM
I agree the market is crazy right now, but it really has little in common with 2008 as that entire run-up in real estate prices was primarily due to lax lending standards and speculation, especially in many Sunbelt markets. The price increases now are mostly due to the pent-up demand, low supply (far fewer houses being built relative to population growth in many areas), and better economic situations (higher credit scores, higher median household incomes, and greater savings rates/less debt- compared to prior housing bubble era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 07:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I agree the market is crazy right now, but it really has little in common with 2008 as that entire run-up in real estate prices was primarily due to lax lending standards and speculation, especially in many Sunbelt markets. The price increases now are mostly due to the pent-up demand, low supply (far fewer houses being built relative to population growth in many areas), and better economic situations (higher credit scores, higher median household incomes, and greater savings rates/less debt- compared to prior housing bubble era.

I don't think there's higher oversight now than it was before 2008... The easiest mortgage I had was made in 2020. 3% down, 400K house, and my score is in 640 range. No questions asked, conventional loan, easy-peasy.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:10 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I don't think there's higher oversight now than it was before 2008... The easiest mortgage I had was made in 2020. 3% down, 400K house, and my score is in 640 range. No questions asked, conventional loan, easy-peasy.
There's definitely more scrutiny, but if you've got all your ducks in a row when you apply the process is far simpler and streamlined courtesy of technology. I've bought two houses in the last year and in both instances I was able to do my application within an hour or so and had a verbal commitment within a day.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee