Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Advertisements

I swear for the last 4-5 years that I have gone to or through Milwaukee there has been construction on the expressways.

It really has not made a huge negative dent in traffic when I have been up there overall. I must say though the detour from downtown to 94 west is ridiculous. We had to drive halfway through the city to get onto 94 west and make like 15 turns. The signage was not very good either.

I should have known better and just taken a surface street all the way west to get to Miller Park.

Why is this construction taking so long?

Why is the construction even needed? In years past I never saw a huge problem with traffic in Milwaukee ever.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 20,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I swear for the last 4-5 years that I have gone to or through Milwaukee there has been construction on the expressways.

It really has not made a huge negative dent in traffic when I have been up there overall. I must say though the detour from downtown to 94 west is ridiculous. We had to drive halfway through the city to get onto 94 west and make like 15 turns. The signage was not very good either.

I should have known better and just taken a surface street all the way west to get to Miller Park.

Why is the construction even needed? In years past I never saw a huge problem with traffic in Milwaukee ever.

What gives?
They replaced the whole of the Marquette Interchange. It was build in the 1960's so it was overdue for an overhaul. Construction was started in 2004 and is wrapping up this year.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie1823 View Post
They replaced the whole of the Marquette Interchange. It was build in the 1960's so it was overdue for an overhaul. Construction was started in 2004 and is wrapping up this year.
Thanks for the info. But does it really take 4 years to do that? I find it kind of strange that it should take that long.

I do know that the work looks to be very extensive but...

Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,996 times
Quote:
But does it really take 4 years to do that?
Yes.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,140 times
The interchange was falling apart pretty badly as are many highways and bridges around the country. Some, like the I-90 bridge in Minneapolis last year fell down before it could be fixed.

It would take about half as long if they completely shut the whole Marquette interchange down but obviously that was not an option.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:

What gives?
I agree about the signage, I actually live here & I once followed those signs...yeah, completely wrong!!! So, now I know better & go my own way to get to the freeway.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. But does it really take 4 years to do that?
Believe me, this was a MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR undertaking. A HUGE project.

To be honest, they have done a stellar job with it, and yes, they have actually been quite quick and efficient with it considering the massive undertaking.

Normally, I would be the first to join someone in complaining about the speed and efficiency of road reconstruction (as usually "speed" and "efficiency" are not terms usually to be used in terms of road construction projects). But the I-change folks up here have done a great job.

When it is done with, folks'll be so happy with it.

They've also done a pretty good job in keeping traffic moving as best as can be reasonably hoped for with such a massive project.

Hang in there...it is almost done with.

(The other thing to consider: with how harsh this winter was, and how cold/snowy winters in MKE are in particular, that delays work; there is a more limited window in terms of when some projects of the big project can be done through the year versus a more temperate climate).

Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM

The thing is in Chicago we completely reconstructed 55 Stevenson, 90/94 Dan Ryan, and 90/94 Kennedy within city limits each at different times (about 2 years total each) with far more traffic going on them with the same type of weather. This is why I am very suprised it would take so long.There has to be some other reasons for it taking so long.

And yes I have never seen a problem with traffic in Milwaukee ever.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 05-12-2008 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 03:41 PM

63 posts, read 227,301 times
The reason it took 4 years probably came down to state funding. Revenue sources like the gas tax and license tabs only bring in a certain amount per year. I believe about 1.2-1.3 billion a year. Although you have to account for politicians continuously raiding the account for solving budget deficits. With the project costing a billion dollars the only way the state could afford it was to stretch it out over four years. Although certainly climate and keeping traffic moving are factors as well. WisDOT has to fund other projects around the state as well so by extending the Marquette interchange project to four years they were still able to distribute money to many projects across the state. If they sent all their money to one project in a year it would certainly create an uproar from outside the Milwaukee area and WisDOT would certainly face a large amount of scrutiny from citizens and politicians living in the rest of the state.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM

709 posts, read 656,561 times
This project completely tore down the old interchange, and built a new one in its' place (along with the sections of freeway in the area, to include the old Park Freeway interchange). The project completed this, while still allowing traffic through the interchange, albeit restricted with lane and ramp closures.

HUGE project, and if you're not really familiar with the way the interchange was before I can see how it would be easy to dismiss the scope of this project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee