Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 03:31 PM

28 posts, read 24,500 times

Advertisements

Personally I do consider it the North shore. I feel just because it's in a different county doesn't mean it's not the North shore. In my view it's clear and very apparent its a part of the North shore. I consider lower east side of Milwaukee (UWM area), Shorewood, WFB, Glendale, Fox Point, Bayside, River Hills, Brown Deer, Mequon, and Theinsville to be the North shore. I only pose this question because I live in Mequon and someone from a different post said that Mequon was not because it's not in Milwaukee county and that its not close to downtown but I disagree...you can get to downtown in 20 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 09:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper40below View Post
Personally I do consider it the North shore. I feel just because it's in a different county doesn't mean it's not the North shore. In my view it's clear and very apparent its a part of the North shore. I consider lower east side of Milwaukee (UWM area), Shorewood, WFB, Glendale, Fox Point, Bayside, River Hills, Brown Deer, Mequon, and Theinsville to be the North shore. I only pose this question because I live in Mequon and someone from a different post said that Mequon was not because it's not in Milwaukee county and that its not close to downtown but I disagree...you can get to downtown in 20 mins.

It was me, and I believe that at its best, North Shore is ended with Whitefish Bay. You can stretch the definition of what is North Shore to the end of the last bus line of the Milwaukee county, or even to the border of the county itself, or to Sheboygan, or to Green Bay.

But Fox Point is already suburban and the further up there, the more difficult it is to make a case, that it's part of the city. My definition is "where bus transportation ends".

Old 08-14-2021, 10:25 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
I consider Mequon, especially the southeast segment, to be a part of the North Shore. That part of Mequon (Port Wash Rd., Donges Bay Rd., Mequon Rd. area) is highly urbanized and has much in common (housing stock, retail interchange, etc.) with Bayside, Fox Point, and other North Shore communities.

Other parts of Mequon (and the community of Thiensville) seem to have a distinct culture and demographic profile from SE Mequon, so I don't consider those places to be core areas of the North Shore. Perhaps they're "semiperipheral" or "adjacent" North Shore areas at best, as are Brown Deer and River Hills.

For me, the heart of the heart of the North Shore stretches from the Water Tower and Downer Avenue areas of Milwaukee, through eastern Shorewood and eastern Whitefish Bay, and into eastern Fox Point.

These were the areas along the lake north of downtown that, decades ago, were served by the county's streetcar system.
https://www.wuwm.com/regional/2016-0...reetcar-system

These areas also share a similar demographic history--lots of upper-middle and upper class folks (North Shore Nancys) along the streetcar line.

Other areas around UWM, western Shorewood, western WFB, Glendale (esp. east of I-43), western Fox Point, and Bayside and SE Mequon are also part of the North Shore now, but not the traditional heart of it. I see them as North Shore communities by extension: these areas are traditionally more middle and working class, though demographics have changed a fair bit over the decades.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:49 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Sure, why not.
Boundaries change.
Fox Point, southeast Mequon… as a transplant I always assumed it was all north shore. Might never have considered it otherwise without C-D.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:51 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Having lived in Port of a number of years, I always considered Mequon part of the "north shore" and Cedarburg the beginning of Ozaukee County.

Mequon just seems like a logical extension, I guess.

RM

Old 08-22-2021, 06:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Culturally yes it's as North Shore Nancy as it gets. Yes Mequon is north shore, I will say though, the more western you go the more rural and less north shorey it gets. I wouldn't call Brown Deer the North Shore well because one it's not on the shore but culturally is not like the shore communities. River Hills is not on the shore but culturally it is North Shore. People who live in eastern Mequon probably call it the north shore but people west of Tosa Rd probably do not as it's more farm land, and horse farms. I would go so far to call the area north Mequon part of the north shore the area right along the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee