Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2022, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

Hello, May wife and I are leaving IL and looking to move north of Milwaukee and are looking at Port Washington. Looking to purchase a small home as we're nearing retirement. Any issues with the water there? Just want to avoid lead and any plumbing nightmares.

Last edited by Saturnthree; 09-03-2022 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 05:31 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnthree View Post
Hello, May wife and I are leaving IL and looking to move north of Milwaukee and are looking at Port Washington. Looking to purchase a small home as we're nearing retirement. Any issues with the water there? Just want to avoid lead and any plumbing nightmares.
Generally speaking, Port Washington has not been in the news about lead pipes, only Milwaukee was. But it tells nothing - maybe there are no lead pipes, maybe there's no money to replace them, who knows. Anyway you need to make your own inspection in the house you'd consider to buy. And even if it has lead, you can always purchase reverse-osmosis system, or replace all pipes.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,788 times
Every bit helps in the hunt brrabbit. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:32 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Former Port homeowner here.

Port Washington is a wonderful place that I would gladly return to. Small town charm/ambiance and a very well developed and safe community. I worked in Sheboygan and the spouse in Milwaukee, so it was a perfect place for our commutes.

Housing is still relatively affordable and it’s easy to get in/out of Milwaukee if you want big city. Plenty of parks and outdoor activities in the area as well.

In fact, I just placed my semi-monthly order with Bernie’s Fine Meats. Yum!

RM

Old 09-10-2022, 01:09 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
I believe lead pipes are a house-by-house problem there.
Just make sure the house you're interested in doesn't have them.
The city seems to be working on it from what I've found:
https://www.ozaukeepress.com/content...-service-pipes

Otherwise, it's a nice town, easily one of my favorites in Wisconsin.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:10 PM

When you have your inspection - do this test. https://mytapscore.com/products/lead...5893195.a80df2

Old 09-11-2022, 10:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
The Port Washington piers provide some great fishing. Loved visiting them.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
When you have your inspection - do this test. https://mytapscore.com/products/lead...5893195.a80df2

I actually did this test for my own house and now I know for a fact that my house does not have lead issues... Good deal for $50.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:32 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
As a former resident of Port, I am not aware of this being an issue, widespread or otherwise. If you're looking to buy an older home in Port, close to/in downtown or on the near westside, it might be a concern based on the age of the home. If you're looking at the areas north of downtown, say along Norport and that area in general, the age of those properties is such I'm sure that lead is not an issue.

You can have this checked out with a home inspection, but if you want to know in general I would contact the City's department of engineering and ask them if it's something they're aware of. I'm sure they'll be able to give you some idea of the potential for encountering lead pipes in homes.

Port Washington is a wonderful city and a great place with a fantastic quality of life. We loved the time we lived there. Good choice!

RM

Old 10-17-2022, 04:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Pb pipes are an artificial problem invented to sell more pipes and usurped for selfish political & legal purposes. Water pipes quickly develop a coating of bacterial origin which essentially prevents the water from touching the metal itself, as if it could even pick up any appreciable amount of Pb from the pipe as it quickly flows past.

When the Flint Mi thing hit the news a few yrs ago, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation-- if a 9 y/o kid who never got any bigger and retained ALL the lead he ingested (ie- excreted none at all), and the water contained 1000x more Pb than the legal limit (they never told us how much Pb was in the water in Flint), then he would have to drink 5 gallons of water a day for 109 yrs to accumulate the Pb level thought to be toxic.

If you like the house, buy it. Don't worry about Pb pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee