Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2023, 08:54 PM

371 posts, read 886,447 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone….I really liked the convenience of going to my local oil change place to get my oil changed & emission checked. Now, I see that they don’t do them anymore. I’ve searched for a place, and it’s not too far from where I live. I’m just wondering what happened? Why the change? When did this change? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 04:52 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Well, the state of Wisc. hosed us good on this entire deal. First by foisting emissions testing on us in Milw and Madison metro areas, even though the air here is VERY good compared to other cities I've lived in, or even grown up in (L.A.). Not to mention much of our air "pollution" drifts up here from Chicagoland.

In any case, our "leaders" established emissions testing for several counties, and used to have state-run testing centers. Then they quietly closed all those places, and enticed various oil change shops and auto repair businesses to have testing equipment at their businesses and do the testing. That worked OK for a number of years, then a lot of the private shops started to figure out it was a big hassle and what they were being reimbursed by the state just wasn't worth it.

So now we have less independent shops doing the testing, and the state website telling where you can get the testing is not even up-to-date. If our leaders were smart and really had our best interests in mind, this whole emissions testing program would be done away with. But I'm sure they're terrified of the backlash they would get from the environmental lobby and mainstream media.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone….I really liked the convenience of going to my local oil change place to get my oil changed & emission checked. Now, I see that they don’t do them anymore. I’ve searched for a place, and it’s not too far from where I live. I’m just wondering what happened? Why the change? When did this change? Thank you.
I think the state figured out some smart mechanics learned how to fool the system. And so they wanted to put them out of business.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Kentucky did away with emissions testing years ago, by a state legislature push. The rationale was that emissions sees over 95% compliance, which is incredibly high for a government run program. Basically saying it was not necessary. Antique cars get a pass anyhow.

Point here is if the state legislature is able to bring this up, and save the state money, and celebrate a less-regulations bill that delights residents. But the governor will need to too and here in lies the issue.

Background for Kentucky’s cancelled vehicle testing:
https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...3-a8b32d72cc1b

Old 05-16-2023, 09:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Since the EPA started mandating emissions standards almost 50 yrs ago, there are measurabley lower levels of CO, NOx and short chain HCs being put into the air by ICE exhaust...while rates of COPD and asthma have doubled...??? Is the EPA helping anything besides their own salaries & budget?

The Prime Directive of all bureaucracies is "First, ensure your own job."

Old 05-17-2023, 05:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Being that the Madison area does not require testing (it is only needed in the SE part of the state) I wasnt even aware testing was needed at all. Out of curiosity I did see a list (no clue if updated) that does still show area dealers and some repair shops that offer it. Perhaps some shops bowed out as staffing is such an issue anyway that they may only want to try and cover their actual oil change business. And not worry about additional needs like offering testing. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: