Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM

21 posts, read 43,565 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Milwaukee for a job transfer to our division partner that is in the Third Ward. I've lived in Milwaukee before and LOVE the city, the people, the urban feel that doesn't swallow me whole like both Chicago and Atlanta have. Cost of living is also driving me to a more reasonable lifestyle.

I've been looking for places to rent, and have been declined four times now so here I am asking for anyone that knows the city well knows any resources where I might be able to connect to rental property owners that are willing to consider a human side to renting rather than just strict numbers.

The gist of it is that I divorced a functional addict/alcoholic who was ordered to pay a pretty significant alimony for five years while I find a way to support myself. I worked part time and took care of our kid while he grew a startup software company. Two years in he suddenly stopped paying support and my salary didn't even cover rent. So I worked multiple jobs, did gig work, etc.. to keep from being evicted but my credit still tanked and I was often late paying rent.

Since then, I've doubled my income, am gradually repaying everyone that I owe, and am getting back on my feet. But (understandably) management companies are numbers driven so the recent 18 months stain on my prior spotless credit/mortgage history is all they see. And I totally get it. I've worked in property management and I've been a landlord myself, so I totally don't blame anyone but myself. The fallout for my own decisions is a gift that just keeps on giving.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding finding a place that's safe? Just me, two old dogs, 75K income, 620 credit, and totally crap rental history for 1.5 years. I'm looking around 1300/mo or less, but need 2 beds because I have a 20 yr son who will be home outside of college.

Thoughts, anyone? I'm not sure how to get over this hurdle, and I'm hoping there is some sort of inside knowledge of the rental climate that might help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 08:54 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
a) You can rent in an hotel and pay weekly rent, I lived in Motel 6. While it's a bit too expensive, you won't care about keeping the place clean, washing sheets, you might even get some crappy breakfast and internet included. It's a good place to start if you're moving back to Milwaukee and cannot get a rent.

b) Look for private rentals. Zillow is No 1 resource these days for private landlords, but I won't discount Craigslist, and Facebook.

c) Be prepared to offer (better be upfront with it) a second month security deposit. Most any past credit problems can be cured with an extra month deposit.

d) If things are too bad, you can try to sublease it from someone who has to leave sooner. Just sign up as their "room mate" and agree to pay their share until the end of the lease... Not sure if I like this idea as a landlord (I'd rather be in the know about what's going on), but as a tenant I might go that route as a last resort.

At one point in time my credit score was in lower 500 and I was able to rent a town house from Bay Colony Apartments in Whitefish Bay (on Fairmount Ave)... They did not want to let me in, but agreed to with a second month deposit. Same trick worked for me in another place in Glendale, but I forgot their name - and they are bigger apartments, not to your liking.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
P.S. 20yr son can pay for his own place to be, or sleep on a folding bed.

Just checked in the Craigslist - https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/apa...692565238.html - that might be a perfectest place to be in your situation. And when your son comes, you either could rent another room there for him, pay for his hotel, rent a vacation house for 3 months for both of you, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee