Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,415 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've been lurking for a while in this forum because I'm moving to Milwaukee next month. I've started looking for apartments in the web and I have some basic questions.

In some apartments it's not included the utilities, and I wondered how much can they amount to (heat and electric service, water, sewer and trash removal services) in the case of a 1 br apartment for 2 people, specially in the winter (heat!)? I'm from Europe and have no idea about the prices of those things over there . Also, are there any additional expenses apart form the rent and the utilities (taxes, community fees or whatever?)

Also, although I've read some threads about it, I wanted to ask for suggestion of downtown/eastside/third ward apartments with some amenities (specially gym) that are affordable (and cat-friendly). In other threads people were looking for high buildings, but I prefer all the contrary. Do you know something about "Library Hill"?

And what % of our income do you think it's reasonable to spend in the rent? I'm a little worried about the winter blues (I've always lived in a very mild climate city), so I've thought that it can be worth finding a good place with things to do even when I don't dare to go out of the building , but this kind of apartments seem to be quite more expensive than those without, so I'm not so sure. Is it worth it? Opinions? (Buy the way, how much does usually cost a monthly membership in a gym?)

And last, do you know about some nice furnished place for short stays, for the first days (weeks?) we will be there looking for the apartment?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM

37 posts, read 57,325 times
Library Hill is managed by Mandel Group. I use to manage with the company. Library Hill is only 3-5 stories and is downtown, it is very nice and Im pretty sure they have a fitness center. Most all of there properties take pets, dogs/cats. As far as expenses for Heat, most apartments will not include heat, so you will have to budget for it. Of course, it will depend on how warm you like your place as to the cost. You will also have to pay for electricity, which, more than likely, will be your stove/oven, running of your furnace if its individual; of course your lights, and possibly your own water heater if it is not common. More than likely, you will not have to pay for water, sewer or trash collection. You probably will have to pay for cable tv. We do have what is called a "budget" plan with electric and gas, so you may want to consider getting on that plan, that way the bill will be the same each month. I personally, as a single person, I budget about $160.00 per month for my heat(gas)/electric, land line phone and cable. Keep in mind if you have gas heat, you will have little or no bill during the summer months, however your electric will go higher due to air conditioning use. Most local gyms charge about $35.00 to $60.00 per month, depending on your membership choices, like time of contract/no contract etc...all will be a little different.
If you speak to Mandel Group, they will be able to accomodate you for a short term stay in a furnished place while you look for your new home. I would also go online and acquire some rental guide books before you get here, that way you will be able to narrow down some of your choices. Go to Apartments for Rent and Resources for Finding Apartment Rentals Nationwide - ForRent.com or call them and request a current copy of there rental guide for Milwaukee...its a great way to start your search. Good Luck, and Welcome to Wisconsin!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,415 times
Smile Thanks a lot for the info! :)

It has been very useful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee