Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,294,769 times

Advertisements

What I mean is a reasonably priced restaurant like around $8 to $10 a meal that has good home style cooking on the west side or Bay View area would be nice too. I sometimes eat at Micheals on west wisconsin avenue and that is a good place to eat. Its near Marquette U. if you know where I mean. Maybe there is someplace up on Farwell and Brady area. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 AM

448 posts, read 1,813,068 times
Ma Fishers on Farwell and Kenilworth is pretty good and reasonable.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Ma Fishers on Farwell and Kenilworth is pretty good and reasonable.
I was going to mention that one-if you want REALLY cheap food, it's not home cooking but mexican, I would go to conejitos, it's on 6th street right over the cool white bridge.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM

448 posts, read 1,813,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I was going to mention that one-if you want REALLY cheap food, it's not home cooking but mexican, I would go to conejitos, it's on 6th street right over the cool white bridge.
Honestly i wouldn't recommend Conejitos from any standpoint. Good cheap Mexican food can be had at Botanos but Conejitos is greasy food that will make you sick.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Honestly i wouldn't recommend Conejitos from any standpoint. Good cheap Mexican food can be had at Botanos but Conejitos is greasy food that will make you sick.
Maybe it makes you sick but from the amount of people that pack into that place daily I would say that the majority has quite a positive experience. Conejitos is cheaper than Botanas & Botanas is too salty.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,671,044 times
I lived in ABQ, New Mexico for 4+ years and am a frequent visitor to El Paso, TX so know what great, authentic Mexican cuisine tastes like, and I would heartily endorse the El Rey lunch counter at their new big grocery store off of National Ave.

Holy cow, I have eaten good carnitas before, but I was amazed that the El Rey carnitas were the best I have ever had. Very cheap, reasonable dining too.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
What I mean is a reasonably priced restaurant like around $8 to $10 a meal that has good home style cooking on the west side or Bay View area would be nice too. I sometimes eat at Micheals on west wisconsin avenue and that is a good place to eat. Its near Marquette U. if you know where I mean. Maybe there is someplace up on Farwell and Brady area. Any suggestions are appreciated.
El Ray lunch counter was a good tip. I thought both the other Mexican choices were fine too for your interests. Farwell and Brady?...no, but Farwell and North, a few. Well, I can recommend Beans N Barley, some choices at Hooligan's(solid bar food) ...that would fit your needs. If you like Michael's you would like Ma Fischers at Farwell and North. Same type food, but better, and large portions for the price.(definitely sharing or doggie bag breakfast lunch dinner). Miss Katie's Diner is on Clybourn by Marquette and it is in the Michael's mode...17th and Clybourn maybe or close to it.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
Have you tried the Michigan Street Diner at 220 E. Michigan St. (downtown, east of the river)? I haven't been there, but someone I know likes it and says that it's a solid and inexpensive place for food. I plan on going there one of these days to try it out....

Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
Other ideas....

There are a few more reasonably priced, diner-type places around, such as:

* George Webb (ubiquitous, but should be mentioned)
* Brady Street Pharmacy (on Brady and Astor--not sure if open for dinner)
* Copper Kitchen (3935 S. Howell--has American standards and some Balkan dishes)
* Benji's (in Shorewood--can be pricier depending on what you order, but there's counter service)
* Bay View Family Restaurant (2321 S. Kinnickinnic)
* Amelia's (724 E. Layton)
* Glen Cafe (in Glendale, on Green Tree Rd. and Green Bay Rd.)

If you're really craving inexpensive but middling institutional food, you can go to:

* Columbia/St. Mary's Hospital Cafeteria (in building on Hartford and Maryland)

There are quite a few other salisbury-steak-and-mashed-potato places scattered around the city, though they don't get much publicity.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,671,044 times
Default A few hearty endorsements

In the near-to-Bay View area:

MARTINO's - on 13th and Layton
*This is the place you can actually get a dog similar to down in Chicago, however, you can also get great "frozen custard stand"-esque treats like great cheeseburgers, fish sandwiches, etc. Their menu is so large and diverse, but all tremendous. I am a big, big Martino's fan. Essentially just a step up from fast food (all food made to order), so very cheap.

In the near-to-East side area:

KOPP's FROZEN CUSTARD - near Bayshore Mall
*This is just a mile or two up from "the east side"...frozen custard stands are a Milwaukee staple, and Kopp's is just about the best of the bunch. Great, great, great burgers!! Great fish sandwiches. Just tremendous fast, hot, food. In know this isn't a "diner" type of place per se, but it is so good it just needs to be stated and it certainly isn't fast food in a conventional sense.

In the near-to-Bay View area:

OMEGA FROZEN CUSTARD
*Various locations, but they have one in the Bay View area. Similar comida to Martino's...they tend to do it all very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee