Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,128 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move from Evanston to the Washington Heights neighborhood in Milwaukee. We have two small children and want an affordable area with good schools (not necessarily public). The Washington Heights neighborhood has some beautiful, AFFORDABLE homes and seems to be very community and family oriented. I know this is a stretch, but are there any posters out there who have made the move from the Evanston-area to this neighborhood?

We like our current the access to the lake, the downtown, etc., but single family homes in this area (we own a townhome) are just way too expensive. We both love Milwaukee and make many trips during the year. The other thing about our current area is that it is definitely the land of the "haves" (with not many "have nots") and I don't know if this is an ideal environment to raise kids.

If anyone has any opinions, thoughts to share, I would sincerely appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 PM

174 posts, read 596,804 times
The Washinfgton Heights area is a nice area. It has homes that are very similiar to what you generally see in Evanston. However, the only problem with the area is that once you go directly east of the Washinton Heights area, you are going to be in a very rough crime ridden area of Milwaukee. I would look at homes in Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. They are very nice areas and they have a very good school system. Crime there is also low and both communities have easy access the Milwaukee's East Side. As far as home prices are concerned, you will in general find that the prices are lower than what you generally see in the Chicago metro area. The thing that will hurt your pocketbook is the very high property taxes.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeO View Post
My husband and I are considering a move from Evanston to the Washington Heights neighborhood in Milwaukee. We have two small children and want an affordable area with good schools (not necessarily public). The Washington Heights neighborhood has some beautiful, AFFORDABLE homes and seems to be very community and family oriented. I know this is a stretch, but are there any posters out there who have made the move from the Evanston-area to this neighborhood?

We like our current the access to the lake, the downtown, etc., but single family homes in this area (we own a townhome) are just way too expensive. We both love Milwaukee and make many trips during the year. The other thing about our current area is that it is definitely the land of the "haves" (with not many "have nots") and I don't know if this is an ideal environment to raise kids.

If anyone has any opinions, thoughts to share, I would sincerely appreciate it!
The homes in Washington Heights are similar to many of those found in Evanston, but the vibe is a lot different. Washington Heights is a nice area but it's no Evanston. Personally I wouldn't make that move. Just to qualify my statement, I lived in Chicago for quite some time and still spend a lot of time there. By Chicago, I mean the city, and the suburb of Lake Forest. I'm intimately acquainted with Evanston.

If you are looking for more of an Evanston-like environment, try the following neighborhoods:

Map of these neighborhoods

Upper East Side
Murray Hill
Downer Woods (UWM area)
North Point

These areas have a lot of amenities within close reach, and are definitely good family areas. I live there part year and there are lots of families with younger children. There is always a lot of foot traffic in the above areas, both young and old. There are families who see virtue in a very nice urban environment.

The Upper East Side and surrounding neighborhoods are a good mix of people. It is a highly educated area, but not in the "look at me" way. There are a lot of students too, if that's a factor either way. I think that the down to earth qualities are because it is the city, and hard-core suburbanites would not be satisfied with sidewalks and on-street parking.

Also consider the suburb of Shorewood, which has good public schools and a nice downtown, plus retains the urban feel. There is plenty of money in Shorewood but it has a more down to earth vibe than does, let's say, Fox Point or Whitefish Bay.

As far as Whitefish Bay goes, it's a very nice area. For Barbara Billingsley and Hugh Beaumont. Their little downtown area is great for the above crowd. As far as I know, there are no restaurants and/or places to grab a drink anywhere in the downtown area, although if you want to buy some nice things, there are places for that. For food and drink (and upscale shopping), you have to go to Bay Shore Town Center (shopping area). Good schools though... and very family oriented. But the "haves" have Whitefish Bay. Great area, but probably not what you're looking for. Don't be on the sidewalks when they roll up at 5:00pm sharp.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The homes in Washington Heights are similar to many of those found in Evanston, but the vibe is a lot different. Washington Heights is a nice area but it's no Evanston. Personally I wouldn't make that move. Just to qualify my statement, I lived in Chicago for quite some time and still spend a lot of time there. By Chicago, I mean the city, and the suburb of Lake Forest. I'm intimately acquainted with Evanston.

If you are looking for more of an Evanston-like environment, try the following neighborhoods:

Map of these neighborhoods

Upper East Side
Murray Hill
Downer Woods (UWM area)
North Point

These areas have a lot of amenities within close reach, and are definitely good family areas. I live there part year and there are lots of families with younger children. There is always a lot of foot traffic in the above areas, both young and old. There are families who see virtue in a very nice urban environment.

The Upper East Side and surrounding neighborhoods are a good mix of people. It is a highly educated area, but not in the "look at me" way. There are a lot of students too, if that's a factor either way. I think that the down to earth qualities are because it is the city, and hard-core suburbanites would not be satisfied with sidewalks and on-street parking.

Also consider the suburb of Shorewood, which has good public schools and a nice downtown, plus retains the urban feel. There is plenty of money in Shorewood but it has a more down to earth vibe than does, let's say, Fox Point or Whitefish Bay.

As far as Whitefish Bay goes, it's a very nice area. For Barbara Billingsley and Hugh Beaumont. Their little downtown area is great for the above crowd. As far as I know, there are no restaurants and/or places to grab a drink anywhere in the downtown area, although if you want to buy some nice things, there are places for that. For food and drink (and upscale shopping), you have to go to Bay Shore Town Center (shopping area). Good schools though... and very family oriented. But the "haves" have Whitefish Bay. Great area, but probably not what you're looking for. Don't be on the sidewalks when they roll up at 5:00pm sharp.
Generally this is pretty good info to the original poster. I'd concur with most of it.

Evanston is pretty comparable to the above mentioned areas, as I too have spent a lot of time in both. And, no traffic like Ridge, etc...to grind out either.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,163 times
I live just north of Washington Heights in Sherman Park. I ride my bike through Washington Heights nearly every day, and I know many people who live there. Eventually I could see myself living there.

Washington Heights is a great neighborhood. Excellent housing stock, a diverse array of people, close knit, family friendly environment. One earlier poster warned that the Heights are close to not-so-nice neighborhoods. This may be true to some extent, but the neighborhood has one of the most active and engaged neighborhood watch programs in the city. Check the crime rates on Milwaukee Compass and you'll see that crime in the neighborhood is actually quite low.

There are negatives with Washington Heights. It's walkable, but aside from a movie theater, some nice parks and restaurants, there's not much you can walk to. There's no grocery store to walk to, for instance.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM

151 posts, read 705,404 times
The Wauwatosa area is very close to downtaown and has a flare of its own. In addition you can find some family friendly areas and lower home prices than Shorewood or Whitefish Bay. You will also be more apt to encounter more social-economical and culturally diverse neighborhoods. Good luck to you and your family and let me know if I can be of more help!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times
Wow, I thank each and every one of you for the insightful responses! We certainly have a lot to think about and it is so VERY helpful to have this information. (Not something someone can easily gleen from a real estate listing!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee