Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,692 times

Advertisements

Hi looks like I may be moving from Texas to Milwaukee, with a partner who will work in MKE and I will be possibly working in Zion at the Cancer Center there.

What, if any, are my options for transit? It looks like there is a bus from downtown Milwaukee to Kenosha and then I could hop onto the Metra for the last 10 minutes form Ken to Zion....

What does anyone think of this??

Should we forget about MKE and just have us live in Chi and have the Metra take me direct to Zion and have my partner look for work in Chi???

Thanks for any input....

Never driven in snowy conditions, is this going to be a big deal for me???? I'm a great driver (no accidents) otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 03:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Hi DrGalloway -

Sorry no one has responded to your post as of yet. Hopefully you are still around to check for responses...I am certain that some familiar with commuting MKE v. northern IL will be able to chime in here and help out at some point. We have quite a few posters here who seem to pretty well know the whole nuances of commuting / doing a train, etc., to/fro Milwaukee through northern IL / Chicago.

I wish I could help you, but while living in MKE, I have never had to contend with the commuting thing as it relates to N. IL and am quite non-knowledgable.

As for this one -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGalloway View Post
Never driven in snowy conditions, is this going to be a big deal for me???? I'm a great driver (no accidents) otherwise.
It might be. It is kind of a pain in the a** even for those of us that have done it off-and-on for years of our lives. Never spun out on slight over-braking on that fresh 2-inches of snow that the plows haven't had a chance to get to yet that fell very quickly over the gunk in the road that had quickly become black ice? Ah...you have an adventure to look forward to.

I have had some of the more white-knuckled, horrifying driving experiences of my life driving in snow, ice, and arctic winds. It can occasionally be harrowing, very dangerous, and very intense. Having said that, millions and millions learn to live and deal with it every year and do OK, so surely you can too. Even in my thoughts of near-misses and problems that I have had in snow and ice while driving here, I have never had an accident in the snow / in a storm. It can be done, but it'll definitely take some learning and it'll be an adjustment for sure.

Good luck! Hopefully others here will chip in on the commuting questions.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
yes!!I WENT TO CHICAGO THIS WAY AND GOT DIRECTLY ON CTA PURPLE LINE SUBWAY IN EVANSTON,IL TO DOWNTOWN CHICAGO you can take a coach lines bus to the kenosha METRA TERMINAL for 4$

Wisconsin Coach Lines
http://www.coachusa.com

THE METRA PRICE VARY DEPENDING ON WHAT SOUTHERN MOST STOP YO GET OFF ON GOING TOWARDS ILLINOIS. SO IF YOU GOING TO ZION ITS GONNA BE CHEAPER THAN LETS SAY CHICAGO WHICH COST 6.00 IF YOU WERE TO GET OFF ON DAVIS ST THAT CONNECTS WITH THE PURPLE LINE CTA TRAIN. THE TIMES VARY FOR THE METRA LEAVING FROM KENOSHA SO TRAVEL WISE

Kenosha to ZION,IL, WAUKEGAN, IL,Chicago ETC
Metra / Union Pacific District North Line

schedules
Metra / Union Pacific North Monday - Friday Inbound

if you consider chicago, you can look towards suburbs of chicago like evanston,il or wilmette,il thats a straight line to zion and the metra goes tru those cities

Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 AM

13 posts, read 42,176 times
If it is not too much of a hassle I would try to live in or around Chicago.

The only problem with Metra is that during the weekday there are not a whole lot of trains from/to Milwaukee so make sure you plan accordingly, you don't want to get stuck with no transportation because then you will really be screwed.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,140 times
Craigslist might be your best option for finding someone to ride with but your options even there may be limited. It doesn't hurt to post something there to test the waters.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWSyndicate View Post
If it is not too much of a hassle I would try to live in or around Chicago.

The only problem with Metra is that during the weekday there are not a whole lot of trains from/to Milwaukee so make sure you plan accordingly, you don't want to get stuck with no transportation because then you will really be screwed.

the metra does not come to milwuakee, city/country of kenosha is as further north it goes there were some proposals for the metratrain to milwuakee but it has came about yet

Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The commute to Zion would be easier from Milwaukee than from Chicago. Not only is it closer to Milwaukee, but the traffic is MUCH less of a nightmare going south from Milwaukee than north from Chicago. Depending on what you're used to, a Milwaukee to Zion commute can be quite manageable.

If you don't want to drive the entire way and if the Zion destination is right near the train station, then it may be worth your while to drive to the Kenosha station and then take the train the rest of the way. Or you could split the difference and live in Kenosha.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,288 times
Bottom line is I wouldnt mess with public transportation from Milwaukee to Zion but vice versa public transportation from Chicago and the northern suburbs to Zion is quite abundant.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Bottom line is I wouldnt mess with public transportation from Milwaukee to Zion but vice versa public transportation from Chicago and the northern suburbs to Zion is quite abundant.
why not, it was actually quite conveniant for me, it gets inconvienant when u get closer to chicago though when taking metra because the trains are crowed

Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you don't want to drive the entire way and if the Zion destination is right near the train station, then it may be worth your while to drive to the Kenosha station and then take the train the rest of the way. Or you could split the difference and live in Kenosha.
thats a good plan, but if gas is a concern then the coach to kenosha is............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee