Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 PM

36 posts, read 198,650 times

Advertisements

I grew up on 18th and grant which is considered part of the lincoln village on the south side of the city. When i was growing up the neigborhood was fairly close knit yet extremely, extremely clannish. there was a majority of latinos, with mexicans (mostly from california) in the houses everywhere, with alot of puerto ricans in the apartments. Then there were the polish whose descendants were the first to live in the neighborhood. Then a descent sized community of italians (my family) that moved from walkers point. Also there were a few black families that lived on lincoln avenue.i then went to uw milwaukee and moved to new jersey. My parents have moved to florida and many people said the south side has become completely latinized

I just recently visited milwaukee to see family and i walked down lincoln avenue twice and it seems to have changed alot. all the italian families i know have moved out to the suburbs, but it seems that most of the polish have moved out and the hood is mostly hispanic, black, with some young black families speaking spanish. ( I am guessing from the carribean)And some asian-american. (probably hmong or vietnamese) I also had alot of men and women give me stares of hostility that i never recieved once living there for 18 years.

If would love to move back to this area because the architecture is so unique and it wouldd be nice to return to the area i was raised in. Is Lincoln village a rare diverse neighboorhood or has the city progressed and become largely integrated? Also would it be safe to live here and most people get along, or is it largely dangerous, and an area most people avoid? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i found this forum through a search engine and find it quite interesting. Im a newbie so dont go too hard on me.

Last edited by KJZ 91; 08-25-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: chANGE OF question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
As far as I know, that is primarily a Latino neighborhood. It is pretty gang-infested, but doesn't have the same crime problems as, say, 18th and Center!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post

I just recently visited milwaukee to see family and i walked down lincoln avenue twice and it seems to have changed alot. all the italian families i know have moved out to the suburbs, but it seems that most of the polish have moved out and the hood is mostly hispanic, black, with some young black families speaking spanish. ( I am guessing from the carribean)And some asian-american. (probably hmong or vietnamese) I also had alot of men and women give me stares of hostility that i never recieved once living there for 18 years.
those black families are hispanic,hispanic isnt a racial group

Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
As far as I know, that is primarily a Latino neighborhood. It is pretty gang-infested, but doesn't have the same crime problems as, say, 18th and Center!
how would you know, do you live on 18th st.. kinda stupid to compare 18th/center to lincoln area

Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 AM

295 posts, read 546,703 times
I grew up on 20th n Becher and my grandmother still lives there, so I know the area well. We are one of the Polish famlies still there, Lincoln Village has changed by who lives there now and crime isn't as bad as it was in the early 90's however night time can be unsafe. I still go to A&J Polish Deli 13th n Lincoln and never feel scared, but I only go during the day. If you want to live in Lincoln Village or close to it I suggest just south of Lincoln, in this neighborhood the best streets are going to be the streets with familes that have been there a while. Try from Lincoln to Cleveland and frome 6th to 20th street, the area just south of Lincoln on 20th street is still very quiet and the homes are nice on 20th street as well. Keep in mind it's still an urban Village so your going to get loud music driving by, kids being noisy, police sirens but coming from Jersey that shouldn't be a problem. Crime I would say is really only an issue at night like past 9, but if you live on a good block who won't victim to a lot of crime. My grandmothers block which is almost all old people surrounded by "iffy" blocks is very quiet, she has never had her car broken into and never stolen. Choose your neighbor's wisley.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
I live a block off Lincoln, on the east side of KK, (Bay View). My area really has no crime, and I feel safe at night. If I were you, I would choose and area right outside the heart of Lincoln Village. I know my city is ever-changing, and no matter the area, you make your neighborhood. There are still a lot of good families trying to revitalize there neighborhood. If you are prepared to work toward that goal, I would say go for it. There are seveal homeowner assistance plans in the are to aid in doing that. Bay View was going down for awhile, but rehabs and homeowners unwilling to budge and give in have kept it a very tight neighorborhood. Again, it's all in how hard your willing to work.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
how would you know, do you live on 18th st.. kinda stupid to compare 18th/center to lincoln area
City, I don't live in that area either. But, I am a process server as my second income & I have gone into areas around there & I have to say...I'm glad I don't serve at night in those areas. There's a pocket in this city that I don't feel safe in....I belive 18th & Center is included in that pocket. I can't remember exactly the streets in the area I'm talking about, but I know it when I'm in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee