Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Milwaukee is greatly overshadowed by Chicago. I know it may not be something you'd want to hear, being from Milwaukee, but it's certainly the truth.

It has been posted there before...It is common knowledge that Philadelphia is great overshadowed by New York. It's probably the most underrated major city in the United States.

Chicago's not ignored, it just doesn't carry a huge weight in most peoples everyday lives like New York and L.A do. New York is the arguably the financial capital of the world, and L.A is the entertainment capital of the United States. Of course you're going to here about them more.

If you're "low key" without the shadow of Chicago, you may as well not exist once the shadow from Chicago is cast over Milwaukee.

...Sounds like you have a slight hate for Chicago.
Well I ain't from Milwaukee and I think you're looking at this all wrong. Chicago might take the national spotlight over places like Milwaukee and take away some business, population, etc... but that's not "overshadowing" anymore than Cleveland or Detroit are "overshadowed" or thought of as lesser tier cities. I don't think San Diego is overshadowed by L.A. either and that's just over 100 miles that are really tied together by heavy population, more so than Chicago and Milwaukee. Overshadowing may happen in places like Kenosha WI, but that's a different story.
If anything, Milwaukee does pretty well for a smaller city because of its proximity to Chicago, like a fern that grows in the scattered light beneath a Redwood. It's still a fern! Milwaukee proably supports more than it should but that's a good thing. Did you know that lots of former Chicagoans like myself are living in your so-called "shadow".
Anyway, answer this please...why would just some dude like yourself from Illinois want to say that there is some form of shadow over all of Milwaukee or Philidelphia, or anyplace? Those are not the prevailing attitudes in those cities. Milwaukee has done very well at keeping its own oddball identitiy throughout the years. But you probably don't realize that because you don't LIVE THERE! Milwaukee returns the favor to Chicago in other ways and I am a prime example. I had been working there and a sports fan there for decades until I came back to Illinois for a few months to "visit" then I'm gone. There is no shadow over Milwaukee's identity. Or Minneapolis either and some Chicagoans claim that as well. Both are great smallish cities that in reality greatly benefit from having Chicago nearby. There is no "common knowledge" that Philidelphia is overshadowed by New York. Philidelphia is underrated you are damn right, one of my favorites too, but overshadowed? The Phillies? The Eagles? Geno's? Rocky? The birthplace of America is overshadowed? You sound like a untraveled fellow. Chicago is a great city, but there are many who will tell you that's it's ignored or scoffed at somewhat due to its midwest status. Do we believe them. No, it's got its own thing going on, and so does Milwaukee.

Last edited by wiscofever79; 11-18-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I think it's because Chicago still in part retains the mid-west stigma and the Chicagoans that are accused of just being small town WI and IL transplants feel the need to defend themselves, so it's a constant battle so to speak.

Exactly.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,615 times
What comes to mind when you think of Milwaukee?

I think of classic beer, Lavergne n Shirley, blue collar factories and the Fonz.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Tom Illinois' Best View Post
What comes to mind when you think of Milwaukee?

I think of classic beer, Lavergne n Shirley, blue collar factories and the Fonz.
LOL you deserve a rep for that bit of honesty and nostalgic vision!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 14,615 times
Thanks I appreciate it

Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 82,258 times
"Schlemiel, Schlemazel, Hosenpfeffer Incorporated!" LOL! Laverne and Shirley is pretty much all I know about Milwaukee, but I'm from the South and have never been. I would like to see it, I'm in Chicago for business right now, but I don't have the time or a car to drive up there. And my goodness, IT'S FREEZING! You guys have my respect for being able to deal with, and thrive in, this brutal cold!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM

402 posts, read 976,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clammy ear View Post
"Schlemiel, Schlemazel, Hosenpfeffer Incorporated!" LOL! Laverne and Shirley is pretty much all I know about Milwaukee, but I'm from the South and have never been. I would like to see it, I'm in Chicago for business right now, but I don't have the time or a car to drive up there. And my goodness, IT'S FREEZING! You guys have my respect for being able to deal with, and thrive in, this brutal cold!
Brutal cold? You sound like my friends from North Carolina. This is short sleeves weather yet. Milwaukee is a great place to live.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
How about: the Packers and Brewers, bratwurst, Pabst Beer ( along with Miller and Schlitz), Laverne and Shirley ( and Lenny and Squiggy), Brett Favre, Vince Lombardi, Friday night fish fry, rye bread, America's Dairyland, bowling, heavy industry, great views of Lake Michigan, etc....

Old 11-18-2009, 03:19 PM

13 posts, read 17,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
How about: the Packers and Brewers, bratwurst, Pabst Beer ( along with Miller and Schlitz), Laverne and Shirley ( and Lenny and Squiggy), Brett Favre, Vince Lombardi, Friday night fish fry, rye bread, America's Dairyland, bowling, heavy industry, great views of Lake Michigan, etc....

Throw in Bob Uecker. He is one funny ass Milwaukee guy.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscofever79 View Post
There is no shadow over Milwaukee's identity. Or Minneapolis either and some Chicagoans claim that as well.
When has any serious poster stated Minneapolis is overshadowed by Chicago? I'm sorry that you have some vendetta against Chicago, but really, its influence extends well into Milwaukee. Tell me, is it chilly living under the shadow of almost 10 million people . Kidding!

Quote:
Both are great smallish cities that in reality greatly benefit from having Chicago nearby. There is no "common knowledge" that Philidelphia is overshadowed by New York. Philidelphia is underrated you are damn right, one of my favorites too, but overshadowed? The Phillies? The Eagles? Geno's? Rocky?
Yeah, it is actually well known that Philadelphia is fairly overshadowed. Just south of Philadelphia is the capital and to the north New York City, it's kind of hard to keep your presence on the stage when you have two giants such as these constantly pushing you off.

Quote:
The birthplace of America is overshadowed?
Yeah its overshadowed, not to bash on Philadelphia, but look at how far the city has fallen...There was a point that Philadelphia was the most important City to this country no doubt, but now its a very different story.

Quote:
You sound like a untraveled fellow.
Oh yeah you got me, because in 18 years of life I've only been too:

Chicago, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Madison, WI
Iowa City, IO
Grand Rapids, MI
Detroit, MI
Indianapolis, IN
New York City, NY
Miami, FL
Orlando, FL (DISNEY WORLD!!!)
L.A, CA
Honolulu, HI
Berlin, Germany
Memphis, TN
St. Louis, MO
Phoenix, AZ
Nashville, TN
The Caribbean, obviously.

Not a bad list!

Quote:
Chicago is a great city, but there are many who will tell you that's it's ignored or scoffed at somewhat due to its midwest status. Do we believe them. No, it's got its own thing going on, and so does Milwaukee.
Well, Chicago is overlooked to an extent, its not in the news everyday, and a lot of people don't think much of it except for its one of America's Mega Cities. Chicago's the big All American city...nothing amazing really comes out of it that most people would contribute to their everyday lives. You are right though, it does have its own thing going on. That's why Milwaukee should be greatful to be in its shadow . Again, kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee