Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times

Advertisements

As much as I promote Milwaukee on the Denver forum, I feel like we Milwaukeeans on city-data should be more enthusiastic about the Greater Milwaukee area. At least Denverites are proud of their city, why I'm not sure, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum only come on here to bash Milwaukee. Especially people from the suburbs. People across Denver Metro all consider themselves Denverites regardless if they live in suburbia or the city. Milwaukee seems to only refer to the city and county. Waukesha and Racine view themselves as seperate entities entirely. Just curious why we don't seem to love ourselves as much as other cities do? Any theories? I think Milwaukee has lots to offer, especially someone like me, in their late 20's, who isn't looking to settle down any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 AM

295 posts, read 546,899 times
I agree, Milwaukeeans need to have more pride. Like in my case maybe once Milwaukeeans leave and actually compare Milw to other cities other than Chicago they will relize how nice Milw actually is. Our nightlife for our size top of it's class. We have some of the most respected chefs in the country and some of the nice's bars/lounges around. If Milw'eeans had more pride maybe our national image might start to change but it has to start here first. I take friends from upstate down to Milw who haven't been here since 1990 and they can't believe that this is what Milw looks like, I have suburban relatives that won't go downtown b/c they think parking is too expensive when in fact it's free on the weekends. Go to Cincy and come back and tell me what you think of Milw then.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
As much as I promote Milwaukee on the Denver forum, I feel like we Milwaukeeans on city-data should be more enthusiastic about the Greater Milwaukee area. At least Denverites are proud of their city, why I'm not sure, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum only come on here to bash Milwaukee. Especially people from the suburbs. People across Denver Metro all consider themselves Denverites regardless if they live in suburbia or the city. Milwaukee seems to only refer to the city and county. Waukesha and Racine view themselves as seperate entities entirely. Just curious why we don't seem to love ourselves as much as other cities do? Any theories? I think Milwaukee has lots to offer, especially someone like me, in their late 20's, who isn't looking to settle down any time soon.

I almost posted this exact question last night!

The provincial qualities of the Milwaukea area don't do much to help it out, IMO. Aside from a chronically cynical outlook on life in general, a lot of people are still stuck in the sixties, despite being born in the eighties. Meaning, they stick to the relative safety of their local suburbs, where many--if not most--of the neighbors are Milwaukee born and raised. A yearly trip to Orlando or Vegas doesn't count as having experienced "other cities" either.

Milwaukee has a ton to offer, but people who never leave, think it has nothing (but curiously, remain there for generations). I really think that most of the problem originates because people don't ever move away or try anything new. Their measuring sticks only measure how "empty" Milwaukee is, rather than how "full". This problem does not exist as severely in other cities, probably because other areas have a lot more transplants.

Also, I personally know several non-natives who lived in Milwaukee for a few years (or more), and couldn't wait to leave. After leaving, they missed it, and in a couple of cases, ended up moving back to the area. The reasons were all similar. Nice area, easy to live in, lots to do, good restaurants, lots of entertainment, easy to travel in and out of.

For people who've never left, there is nothing to miss.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
I don't bash Milwaukee, I like it here. I love the east side, I belong there so I'll talk it up to anyone anytime. I don't talk about the suburbs because frankly, the suburbas are not Milwaukee & I have no interest in the suburbs, I grew up in the Falls & would never want to move back there. Great to visit my family but I find the suburbs just too....I don't know, suffocating. Personally, I get so frustrated when people say there's nothing to do in Milwaukee, totally untrue & if these people would open their eyes, they would understand that. So hey, if anyone wants to talk about Milwaukee, I'm all for it.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I grew up in the burbs of MKE (I count Waukesha county as the burbs), hung out downtown a lot when I was in my 20s, moved out of state, then moved back to the burbs. I have always talked up MKE, as I believe it is a great city. It has flaws, like every city, but it also has a lot to offer.

Also, my definition of MKE is greater MKE, always has been. I have never actually lived in the city or county of MKE, but I always say I grew-up-in/am-from "Milwaukee". The great thing about MKE is that I can live in an urban condo, a small house on small lot, an old victorian, or with a relatively short drive live in a big house on a 1/2 acre lot. So many different choices, and all within "Milwaukee". The schools, outside of parts of MPS, are really good. Sports teams, lots of restaurants, indoor and outdoor activities, urban, rural, suburban, etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Quote:
IDK, maybe Laverne & Shirley kinda ruined the image LOL

Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't bash Milwaukee, I like it here. I love the east side, I belong there so I'll talk it up to anyone anytime. I don't talk about the suburbs because frankly, the suburbas are not Milwaukee & I have no interest in the suburbs, I grew up in the Falls & would never want to move back there. Great to visit my family but I find the suburbs just too....I don't know, suffocating. Personally, I get so frustrated when people say there's nothing to do in Milwaukee, totally untrue & if these people would open their eyes, they would understand that. So hey, if anyone wants to talk about Milwaukee, I'm all for it.
I'm not a suburb guy either but to call them suffocating is pretty rude and I view statements like that as being part of the problem not part of the solution. There's an us versus them mentality that is holding us all back. The main reason there isn't a regional transit authority serving Southeastern Wisconsin with things like light rail is because people in the suburban counties are scared undesirables from "the city" might come to pillage and plunder their little towns.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
I'm not a suburb guy either but to call them suffocating is pretty rude and I view statements like that as being part of the problem not part of the solution. There's an us versus them mentality that is holding us all back. The main reason there isn't a regional transit authority serving Southeastern Wisconsin with things like light rail is because people in the suburban counties are scared undesirables from "the city" might come to pillage and plunder their little towns.
Well, you got that right about the transportation thing. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, wouldn't it be a positive to allow people who don't have cars to broaden their work base? I don't think it's rude to call the suburbs suffocating, it's just my opinion, I didn't say they suck or go off on a tangent about the things that I think are wrong, I just simply said my peace. Maybe if I were married & had kids, I'd feel differently....although that's unlikely.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
If you want to raise a family, the Lake Country Area is the place to be. Far enough from the city and close by for any need to get in there. The Real Estate market such as it is, there is going to be plenty of great choices if you want to find a place near a lake. The inland lakes in Waukesha County are special. They are scenic and very sport worthy. The small towns that come with them are very nice. The School Systems are second to none.

My only complaint was that the Lakes weren't freezing solid long enough to really enjoy them. They were my Winter Playgrounds when I lived there. Now I'm in Minnesota, have plenty of lakes and they freeze like no other. Guess Ice Fishing in Wisconsin will just have to be limited to less time than I'd like. Not the case in Minnesota. Heck I can Ice fish now, I'll be the lakes there are not frozen over.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 PM

295 posts, read 546,899 times
No thanks, I'll raise my family on the 32nd floor of a condo over looking the lake. I pay taxes, so my kid can go play in Veterans park and everyother park we help pay for. Oh with a heated garage, fitness center, rooftop patio, movie theatre, full time concierge service, indoor pool and a place to rent movies.

I hate shovling, cutting grass, bugs, and pitchblack quiteness. I'll just pay somebody to do all those things for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee