Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:15 PM

104 posts, read 414,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
I lived in Riverwest by Dinos bar thats how I know. I follow police reports often and it give there address.....Jack.
I am going to have to agree with MILWCITY on this one. If/when caught, the address of the criminal is on the police report. This same situation happens on the East Side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
okay joe. police reports are not usually helpful
What? In what way are they not helpful? They're talking about people who come into riverwest & the police report confirming that most of those people are not residents of riverwest. Doesn't that help the conversation the previous posters were just having?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 AM

18 posts, read 63,052 times
Wow. Thanks everyone for the information. I was already looking into Riverwest so that's a plus there.
Anymore comments would be helpful. Comment away!
Also, would it help if I told everyone that I'm African-American.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM

104 posts, read 414,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglibrarian View Post
Wow. Thanks everyone for the information. I was already looking into Riverwest so that's a plus there.
Anymore comments would be helpful. Comment away!
Also, would it help if I told everyone that I'm African-American.
Unfortunately, I do think that there are places in Milwaukee that would care you are African American- the nice thing about all the places mentioned here is that they are all diverse communities. It is one of the reasons I bought in RiverWest, after renting here for 10 years. My neighbors are predominantly AA and Hispanic and me/my family, are Caucasian, this has never been a problem. We all look out for each other. My neighbors are awesome!

Good luck with your search!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 PM

395 posts, read 1,854,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshea View Post
Unfortunately, I do think that there are places in Milwaukee that would care you are African American- the nice thing about all the places mentioned here is that they are all diverse communities. It is one of the reasons I bought in RiverWest, after renting here for 10 years. My neighbors are predominantly AA and Hispanic and me/my family, are Caucasian, this has never been a problem. We all look out for each other. My neighbors are awesome!

Good luck with your search!
I concur. I don't think any of the neighborhoods mentioned in this thread are monocultural places where someone who is "different" is looked at funny.

I live in Sherman Park, a neighborhood that's about 1/2 African American, and 1/2 everybody else. It is a safe, sane, walkable, nice neighborhood, though a bit more "family oriented" (read: not as many bars and restaurants) as Riverwest.

We're not all sitting around holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" in Sherman Park. In fact, what I love about it is that me and my neighbors represent pretty much all of the major ethnic groups in Milwaukee, and no one appears to give a crap.

But what you have to know about Milwaukee is that there are a lot of people in the suburbs, and some in the city as well, who equate diversity with "danger." They avoid great places like Riverwest, Sherman Park, Brewers Hill, etc because, quite frankly, they see Black and brown faces and they think they're going to get robbed. So when someone "warns" you about a particular neighborhood, remember that this "fear of the other" is usually guiding people's judgements. Not to say that there aren't tough places in Milwaukee.

I've come to accept that there will be friends and family from the suburbs and outstate (especially from Madison ... they're the worst) who will be afraid to come to my neighborhood simply because of the multi-chormatic character of my block. It's unfortunate, but the way I figure it is, if some stooge is afraid to drive down my street, that's one less moron I have to interact with.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 AM

18 posts, read 63,052 times
^^^ Excellent post! I had friends in Ugrad that claimed Milwaukee was very dangerous and the only place to move to was Shorewood. Until I had the chance to visit there. It doesn't seem that bad. But, this is coming from someone who feels that NYC is safe.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglibrarian View Post
^^^ Excellent post! I had friends in Ugrad that claimed Milwaukee was very dangerous and the only place to move to was Shorewood. Until I had the chance to visit there. It doesn't seem that bad. But, this is coming from someone who feels that NYC is safe.
Oh god, do NOT move to Shorewood! Sorry if I offended anyone, but that is just not somewhere that a person in their early 30's looking to have fun would move to.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,854,085 times
I lived in Shorewood for two years when I was in grad school. It was a nice place to live. I didn't have a car and in Shorewood that was hardly a problem. You can easily walk to just about anywhere, and you've got two convenient bus lines that get you Downtown in about 15 minutes. The Oak Leaf bike connection to Downtown is right there too.

Some call Shorewood "Snorewood," and that name is accurate to some extent. It's not exactly the most vibrant or diverse place in the world. But as suburbs go, it's a fairly urban place and a pretty nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee