Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,405 times

Advertisements

Maybe I should have asked if there is any cheap parking because I doubt that there is free parking downtown. Its one hell of a hassle trying to find a parking place other than a parking garage that charges like hell. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Maybe I should have asked if there is any cheap parking because I doubt that there is free parking downtown. Its one hell of a hassle trying to find a parking place other than a parking garage that charges like hell. Any suggestions?
For free parking, I usually park along Lincoln Memorial Drive (north of the Art Museum) and walk from there. Be careful of time limits, though. There are also some free streetsides in the Third Ward area. When I have a bus pass handy, sometimes I'll park near UWM or Lake Park and then take a bus downtown. But the closer to downtown you want to park, the more likely you'll have to pay for the convenience.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,796 times
It depends on how long you want to park and the time of day/day of week. Generally the free spots are taken during the week by office workers. Your best bet is to take the free trolley loop to where you need to go and park in an outlying area near the loop route. Unfortunately that only lasts a few more days.

Otherwise you still can save money by taking the bus for $4 from an outlying area. This will save you a few bucks from an all day parking structure.

Check here too.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 69,541 times
On Kilbourn Ave, just east of van Buren for a couple blocks it only costs a quarter an hour and you can park up to 10 hours, I was usually in the area starting around 3 or 4 and never had issues finding a spot, but it very well could be taken during the day. You can also park in Metromarts lot(Juneau/Van Buren) for free all day if you so please, of course they say its customers only, but they'll never know in a place that big.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
No, no free parking anywhere. You WILL get a parking ticket almost every time you park, we have parking checker nazi's....and I'm not joking.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,775 times
You're not going to get free parking. The cheapest parking in Downtown proper would be the "early bird" specials for about 6 to 10 bucks a day, but they come with time restrictions. You must be in the lot or ramp by 7 or 8AM, depending on the ramp, and be out at a certain time.

Parking meters in Downtown Milwaukee are about a buck an hour.

Downtown Milwaukee has plentiful parking, contrary to popular belief. You may have to walk a few blocks to your destination, but you can almost always find a spot on the street.

Thankfully, Downtown parking is not a part of my life anymore, since I drive a car about once a month. I also don't have to worry about gasoline, maintenance, car insurance, my car getting stuck in the snow, etc, etc.

I know Americans are supposed to have a "love affair" with their cars, but since my car and "I broke it off," I've been much better for it.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:27 AM

295 posts, read 547,157 times
Parking is free on the weekends on any downtown street.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 PM

676 posts, read 961,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
It depends on how long you want to park and the time of day/day of week. Generally the free spots are taken during the week by office workers. Your best bet is to take the free trolley loop to where you need to go and park in an outlying area near the loop route. Unfortunately that only lasts a few more days.

Otherwise you still can save money by taking the bus for $4 from an outlying area. This will save you a few bucks from an all day parking structure.

Check here too.
It says service for the trolley ended on August 16th...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: