Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 63,314 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any people actually from the Milwaukee area on here that coould offer some assistance.

Can you please list some decent apartments to live in for a single,woman in her early 30's? No children. Graduate student. Nerdy/Artsy/free-spirited personality. Likes beer and hanging out.

I have been searching apartments hi-and-low for my transfer to Milwaukee. But, it seems when I find something I like someone always sys it's in a bad neighborhood. I am starting to think that Milwaukee is full of gangs and ruined areas.

Any help at all is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,804 times
You will find many wonderful places to live in Milwaukee! Milwaukee is not "all gangs" and crime. First of all, where will you be working? The east side of Milwaukee offers affordable apartments in a fun, hip setting and is close to the lake. You can also find nice rentals in Shorewood, just north of downtown. If you are working west of downtown, you will find rentals in Wauwatosa. Shorewood and Wauwatosa have more of a neighborhood, family feel vs the east side but there are plenty of singles there, too. The Third Ward is also nice-I'm not sure if it's more condos, though. Maybe someone else can speak to the availability of rentals in the Third Ward-I'm not as familiar with that area. Best of luck with your move!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,804 times
I'm sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that you're a graduate student. Where are you going to school? Will you have a car or be relying on public transportation/walking? Some more info will help guide us with our recommendations.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:26 AM

18 posts, read 63,314 times
School UWM-Milwaukee
Car I have
Employment The Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglibrarian View Post
I was wondering if there are any people actually from the Milwaukee area on here that coould offer some assistance.

Can you please list some decent apartments to live in for a single,woman in her early 30's? No children. Graduate student. Nerdy/Artsy/free-spirited personality. Likes beer and hanging out.

I have been searching apartments hi-and-low for my transfer to Milwaukee. But, it seems when I find something I like someone always sys it's in a bad neighborhood. I am starting to think that Milwaukee is full of gangs and ruined areas.

Any help at all is appreciated.
Hey, now you sound exactly like the type of person I'd befriend for I too love beer & hanging out! I wrote on another thread about an apartment building I used to live in, address is 1712 N. Prospect, it's on Brady & Prospect, perfect area. Building manager's name is Jeff, cool guy. If I were you, I would definitely stick to the east side, especially the Brady St. area, you'll really enjoy it. The rent is going to be higher, but it's worth it. Lots to do around there, bars, shopping, coffee shops, etc.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,781 times
Hi there!

I too am a graduate student at UWM.

I have lived on the Lower East side before close to where karfar is describing. There is definitely tons to do in that area, and if you can find a place there with parking, even better! Brady Street is definitely sounds like it would fit your personality very well. It kind of has the reputation of being the "hippy chic" centre of the city.

I currently live in Shorewood, within one mile north of the UWM campus. I prefer this area because it is less congested both with apartment buildings and parking issues...after a long day of work and class, the last thing you want to deal with is driving around blocks to find a parking space! Rent is reasonable. You are still within a five minute drive to all things East Side/Riverwest/Downtown. Access to public transportation. Local coffee shops/organic grocers/ethnic grocer/pub are all within walking distance in Shorewood.

I would also suggest Riverwest, which has been deemed the ultimate artists community. In fact the UWM Post just did an entire issue of their paper dedicated to all things Riverwest:

The UWM Post - Why live in Riverwest? (http://uwmpost.com/article/53/14/4136-Why-live-in-Riverwest- - broken link)
(If that link doesn't work, just go to The UWM Post and search "Riverwest" and all of the articles feature will appear!)

Just my two cents!

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM

295 posts, read 546,833 times
Just beware of the location of Riverwest, it is closer to the "hood". Once you cross Holton.ave the hood changes for the not so good. Most of the time the crime you have to worry about is the typical crime in a big city, most of the crime in Riverwest is at night. You do have people from the "hood" or "core" what ever you want to call it, they come over to Riverwest to commit crime 99% of the crime in Riverwest isn't from people from Riverwest. Riverwest is fine during the day and be cautious at night. I like Riverwest and I almost lived there, it's not for the person who is from Wausau and never been to a big city but for a typical city folk.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,996 times
Take people's "bad neighborhood" claims with a huge grain of salt. Especially if the person "warning" you lives 30 miles out of town and only goes "down to Milwaukee" for baseball games or Summerfest.

Milwaukee, like any big city, has a lot of neighborhoods that are legitimitely tough places that you would be wise to avoid. But there are lot of folks in the suburbs and outstate who paint the entire city with a broad brush, thinking that just about anywhere in Milwaukee is virtually uninhabitable.

If you're able to spend time in the neighborhoods you're interested in, then do so. Get out of your car and walk around, hang out in the neighborhood at night. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, then don't live there.

If you're not able to spend time in the neighborhoods, check them out on Google streetview. Check the crime stats on Milwaukee Compass (a website run by the MPD that maps crime data). Check out mapmilwaukee.com and find out how many homeowners live on the blocks you're thinking about. Find out how many houses and buildings are non-owner-occupied in the neighborhood. Houses lived in by the people that own them is the single biggest indicator, I've found, of neighborhood quality.

The point is, get the facts. Don't rely on what "they" tell you. Remember that most people fear what they don't know. They don't know the city. So they fear it.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 14,745 times
I agree with the post above me.
To be afraid of Riverwest seems very silly to me.
The first place I lived in Milwaukee was a house on Pierce and Center, 2 blocks east of the much feared Holton divide. I loved it there. I was within a mile of Riverside University Highschool, which is where I went.

I feel those who heavily promote Brady Street did not live on/near it for an extended period of time.
It was always the place that I went to with friends to get coffee before I lived in the city, and it was enough to satisfy day trips, but really, I see no long term value in Brady Street.
The "hip shops and bars" on Brady are basically limited to 6 blocks. Starting at Brady and Farwell and heading west, you'll find a handful of shops/bars/vintage clothing places, but once you get to Humboldt, it really dies down in my opinion. There are certainly bars and restaurants beyond Humboldt, but they don't, to me, have that Friday/Saturday night lively feel. Most people drunkenly stumble around east of Humboldt.
I guess those who love either Columbia fleece jackets (and the unattractive girl who invariably clings on the arm of said garment) or their 9-5 job in a cubicle can hype Water Street bars up to something awesome.
I personally don't see the appeal.
Recently, I've lived in a studio apartment on Cambridge Ave., one block from Brady, and I've really hated it.
There are certainly 'artsy' spots in Milwaukee, but I don't feel there is any one place that can satisfy the desire to explore.
With a car and a bit of motivation, you can stay occupied, but it isn't as easy as one might like.

Find a cheap apartment and realize you'll have to go out and find your nerdy/free-spirited places.
They probably won't be just around the corner from you.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmart View Post
I agree with the post above me.
To be afraid of Riverwest seems very silly to me.
The first place I lived in Milwaukee was a house on Pierce and Center, 2 blocks east of the much feared Holton divide. I loved it there. I was within a mile of Riverside University Highschool, which is where I went.

I feel those who heavily promote Brady Street did not live on/near it for an extended period of time.
It was always the place that I went to with friends to get coffee before I lived in the city, and it was enough to satisfy day trips, but really, I see no long term value in Brady Street.
The "hip shops and bars" on Brady are basically limited to 6 blocks. Starting at Brady and Farwell and heading west, you'll find a handful of shops/bars/vintage clothing places, but once you get to Humboldt, it really dies down in my opinion. There are certainly bars and restaurants beyond Humboldt, but they don't, to me, have that Friday/Saturday night lively feel. Most people drunkenly stumble around east of Humboldt.
I guess those who love either Columbia fleece jackets (and the unattractive girl who invariably clings on the arm of said garment) or their 9-5 job in a cubicle can hype Water Street bars up to something awesome.
I personally don't see the appeal.
Recently, I've lived in a studio apartment on Cambridge Ave., one block from Brady, and I've really hated it.
There are certainly 'artsy' spots in Milwaukee, but I don't feel there is any one place that can satisfy the desire to explore.
With a car and a bit of motivation, you can stay occupied, but it isn't as easy as one might like.

Find a cheap apartment and realize you'll have to go out and find your nerdy/free-spirited places.
They probably won't be just around the corner from you.
I lived in Riverwest for 2 years & I then lived off of Brady for 10 years so I qualify as a person who knows what they're talking about. I just moved to Bayview & I am gladly looking forward to moving back to Brady St. The OP sounds like she's looking for an area just like Brady St. & probably even Riverwest, hence why we're giving her this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee