Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,791 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated back home here from Canada, (My daughter was born there, and i don't have a social security card for her yet), and after staying with family and then a shelter, I've finally found a pretty good job and an apartment. Unfortunately, I started on October 29th, and won't get a check until the end of November, (enough for rent and gas for another 15 days). When I get my next check, it'll cover the checks that I didn't have oney to cover for the past month in order to buy food and gas. My daughter is 3 and I won't be able get her anything for Christmas, and was hoping someone out ther would know where I could get help? I've called the Salvation Army and I have to go in, (only open and available during times I have to be at work). I can't miss 1 day of work or be late within the first 90 days, or I'm fired. Please help? Thank you.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,804 times
I may be able to help. I can't offer much but I could easily provide 2 or 3 nice presents for a 3 year old. Is it a girl or a boy? I have three girls myself and know that at the age of 3, they are old enough to know about Santa and all the kids talk about presents under the tree.

I am not sure how to help though since me providing my info could be unsafe and same for yours. Do you have any thoughts?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM

103 posts, read 514,170 times
Not sure offhand... why not go and visit some of the food pantrys in the city?

There are also churches that would be able to provide assistance.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,728 times
my name is cheryl i have been didasbled for two and ahalf years. my twoi good harted, kind and would do anything to help are my heart. but this yeari am going to have to tell them their not be a christmas for us. if anyone out there cam help us it would be greatly appriciated. i feel so sad that they have to go with out because of my illness. thank you and god bless [email]tooogoodfor45@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,728 times
Unhappy cheryl

hello, i have been didabled since 2006. i am on my third appeal. they say i am disabled but just not disabled enough.. i cam not drive or even work. i have these two wonderful boys who help me alot and gave up going outsdide to play for me. i will be hart broken to tell them thier will not be a christmas because of my illness. please if anyone can help me it would be greatly appriceated. thank you and godbless cheryl [email]tooogoodfo45@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM

45 posts, read 177,942 times
Try contacting your local television station or major newpaper. They are often holding "Toys for Tots" drives during the holiday season. (The charity might go by a different name).
There are "Dollar" stores where you can find inexpensive toys and other small gift items. Many areas have/will be having craft shows you can browse through where you might find inexpensive items suitable for children.
Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately, for some kids as well as adults, this is going to be a year of either "discovering the true meaning of Christmas" or pouting over the lack of presents received. Those who have been overindulged in the past will suffer the most. This should be a good reality check...life is not always easy and money is not always plentiful.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 AM

603 posts, read 2,363,909 times
What's hard is that a lot of kids come to school saying, "if you're not good, Santa won't bring you any presents". We've always taught our children the true meaning of Christmas and to focus on the celebration of Jesus's birth. The problem is, so many families don't even celebrate Christmas's true meaning or maybe they do but then they also go overboard on the Santa thing. My son came home from school crying one day because he was so worried he would not get any presents-and he's a really good kid. It turns out one kid was running around telling the others they've been naughty and Santa won't bring them any presents. We will have to scale back a lot this Christmas-more so than usual-our kids have never been overindulged. I wish other parents wouldn't hold this Santa thing over their kids' head so much-our kids are good and they won't get many presents because we can't afford it-not because they've been "naughty". We talk about Santa how he's a jolly good fellow and he sneaks some presents under the tree but we don't go on and on about him. It's way too much hype.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:50 AM

24 posts, read 80,196 times
Try calling 211 - it's a community resource information line. They may be able to give you more information on food banks, housing, etc..

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 13,791 times
Default 4 year old won't have a christmas again

Hello, I posted last year and couldn't remember the site, so, I apologise to the woman that said she would help with 2 or 3 christmas gifts. My husband has been deported back to Canada in July of this year, and that caused me to lose my nice job at US Cellular as I had noone to watch my daughter while I worked. Social service agency won't help with anything, not even food stamps, medical, energy assistance for her and Salvation Army again won't help with "toys for tots" because I still dont' have a social security number for her and won't until I can physically get back to Canada to get her "birth from abroad" certificate. I'm currently working part time and that barely pays for the bedroom in someone's house that I rented for her and myself. Please, if you can help with anything this Christmas, (food, gas, or presents) so that she'll have a christmas and I can tell her that Santa Claus came for her. Please email me at blessusthree@msn.com.
Thank you in advance, I hope

Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,929 times
Lightbulb Gift Idea

Hello, many people find this a little impersonal but if you know a person well and you know that a particular store is easy to visit, gift certificates are actually cheaper and very convenient way to go. Amazon even lets you use gift cards for lots and lots of items!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee