Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM

395 posts, read 1,854,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
.. come to think of it I usually get shot down when I try to pick up any girl.
That sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,047,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
That sucks.
Thanks for the support

Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,782,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I am relocating from California - I'm black & my husband is white. How will we be received in Milwaukee (besides the typical staring)?? Are there many other interracial couples out there? I appreciate anyones help who knows.
You will be received indifferently based on your race by most people. The rest of how people receive you is up to you.

Are there ignorant people in Milwaukee? Sure, but there are some in San Diego and insert any other place too. If you ever had a problem it would be very isolated. Milwaukee is a major metro area, and you'll do fine.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,782,309 times
Quote:
Would one of you guys also explain in detail for me how the winters and springs are there? Thanks!!
Simply put they are not as nice as the summers and fall. If the only comparison is San Diego, the two places are much different in terms of weather. You will enjoy summer weather and early fall weather likely the most.

Winters are cold, dark, often times windy, with snow on the ground, frozen for much of it. Cloudy days abound in winter with less frequent sunny days. Have warm socks, shoes, good winter coat, and something to cover your hands and head/ears, and you will do fine. If you do not you will be cold.

Summer weather can get humid, and volatile with rain storms too. But they are mild, and sunnier, and green, compared to the often brown of what you might be used to seeing. Near the lake and East Side of Milwaukee the temps will be cooler in the summer a little bit and and there is always a slight comfortable breeze.

I can say that I dislike March, April and often times May in Milwaukee more than any other month, mostly because I've experienced much sunnier, warmer weather elsewhere during those months and Milwaukee pales in comparison. Summers are very nice and comfortable in Milwaukee, as is early fall. The rest of fall isn't too bad. The bitter cold starts in December and goes through all of February. There are many cold, gray, windy days of 40's in March and April.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM

130 posts, read 385,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I was half joking when I posted that, now I wish I would have kept it to myself. I was just commenting that it seems that you barely ever see white guys with Black girls unless it's Justin Timberlake with Janet Jackson or Rihanna with Shia LaBeouf. I always get shot down when I approach Black women, come to think of it I usually get shot down when I try to pick up any girl.

I actually do have a friend back in Denver who only dates wealthy white guys age 40 or older, kinda creepy IMO since she is in her early 20s.
I think, like I said b4, you need to approach women who are more open minded. that typically doesnt tend to occur until one is at least in your 30's.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 AM

17 posts, read 71,188 times
I lived in Milwaukee all my adult life. Im also white and am dating a black man.

Its a pretty segregated city, usually the only time youll see alot of integration is some clubs (if its a white club, make sure you strictly dress to the code or youre not gettin in, just a tip) and at college. Otherwise, socially, people stick to themselves mostly.

Ive never had a big problem though. I get looks sometimes, usually in my case, its the "that poor little white girl gettin taken advantage by the big mean black guy" or the black girls having a problem with us (the white girls) stealing all the black guys.

In your guys' case, itll be white girls lookin at him crazy (especially if hes hot- theres always that pathetic competition) and the black guys saying ignorant, disgusting things tryin to get you to come back to 'the dark side'.

Its mostly with the young people though. Just the usual sad, lame competition people feel when they see someone of their own race crossin the line. Im sure youve seen it already though.

Like I said, its a pretty segregated city, so its not all that common around here (mostly white girls with black guys) and youll probably get looks, but dont worry. If youre stronger than all that ignorance, youll be good.

Dont move to the North Side, its a mess and you DONT want to get caught up in it.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,296,035 times
before getting involved in the OPs situation I would read this study done by a Korean lady:

<Mod message: Need to post link, not entire study>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 01-19-2009 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: copyright infringements against forum Terms of Service (TOS); can post the link, not entire study/article

Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,989,485 times
Quote:
Would one of you guys also explain in detail for me how the winters and springs are there? Thanks!!
I think I can help you with this queenvic. I too am from San Diego (not too far from Hillcrest).

You're in for a brutal shock with regard to the winters here. If San Diego is the only weather you know, then the -10 temps will shock you. And the snow and ice will be a challenge.

Having said that, you'll also experience the most breathtaking Spring, Summer and Fall you've ever seen. San Diego can't begin to rival the colors here, especially in the Spring and Fall.

The winters are hard for Southern California transplants, but if you can endure them, you'll be rewarded. You'll have 7 months of beauty you won't see in San Diego.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,517,333 times
People, if you're going to post a study, post the link, not the entire thing. Thanks for taking up so much space. Oh yeah, I believe that's a copyright infringement.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM

20 posts, read 66,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
My friend is also African American with a white husband and they feel very comfortable in Wauwatosa and the Milwaukee neighborhoods that border it, (specifically, Endris Park, Washington Heights, Mount Mary). Anywhere in Wauwatosa would work.
I agree. I'm in washington heights and it's very diverse. The southwest sid eof milwaukee si the most "white" NOT diverse. Was in an interracial rel. for years and never had stares-it's too common here.
BUT, if you plan on or do have kids, I'd go to wauwatosa-close to washington heights/enderis park, but schools are so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee