Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you relocate because of Wisconsin Winters ?
Yes, give me 65-75 and sunny year round. 46 56.79%
No, 6 months of cold isn't that bad. 35 43.21%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 AM

12 posts, read 30,688 times

Advertisements

Susancruzs: Kudos for being such an active Senior!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 04:46 PM

402 posts, read 976,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I don't whine until we get single digits and the wind chill kicks in! I love the midwest what can I tell you??? I must, I moved 140 miles north for retirement, not south! I did check out Illinois first, southwest of Chicago, sort of central but I could not give up Lake Michigan. I love the Great Lakes.

I'm 62, I still shovel snow, I walk every day if it isn't too icey, otherwise I'm in the gym at the senior center.

I'm with Paul, if the snow is gone and its in the 40's in April, I'm already out in my yard, checking my flower beds seeing how they survived the winter. Winter is only 4 months for me. November was awesome this year, maybe it isn't always, but it isn't winter!
Yeah! - 40s is short sleeves weather for me!!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:20 PM

50 posts, read 177,801 times
40s is definitely "nice" for winter weather! It's warm enough that you can smell the earth and mud. It feels so good after a 20 degree day.

To me, the discomfort comes at below 20 or 25. When your face starts to hurt while you're walking your dog.

I'm goofy though...I'm thin, so to take my dog out for a walk when it's 25 degrees, I'll bundle up in an undershirt, a sweater, a down puffy coat, hat and mittens, because those first few blocks, I'm shivering. Then, 15 minutes later, I've stripped down to the sweater and I'm carrying the coat, hat and gloves. :lol: I heat up like a George Foreman grill in no time at all! It's my inner Swede!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM

23 posts, read 68,950 times
I'm seriously considering a move because of weather. I HATE the snow and the cold. I hate shoveling, I hate windchills, I hate the icy roads. I don't want to have to wear flannel pjs because even with the heat at 68 I'm FREEZING at night.

I'll take some hot weather over the cold and ice. Hot doesn't shut down a freeway and I don't have to DO anything outside if it's too hot. If it's -20 I still might have to shovel, or scrape the car.

Desert dreaming here!!! I'm 27 and my husband is 34. We have a 3 year old and we're ready to get out. Only a very small part of the move is because of my husband's health (multiple sclerosis).

Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 AM

319 posts, read 634,273 times
It's been a really mild winter so far, all things considered. Here it is almost January and I've shoveled once. Even the temperatures were mild all through November. I normally hate the winter, but this one has been great.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM

402 posts, read 976,221 times
Now you did it! The snow curse will now be upon us.......

Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Default Only if forced to

...and I was forced to leave for a job opportunity and a better life. I discovered that being close to family is more important than the weather, and Milwaukee can be a beautiful, tranquil place at certain times during the winter months.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 AM

319 posts, read 634,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
Now you did it! The snow curse will now be upon us.......

Ha, I was thinking the same thing while I was typing it. But then I said to myself, "Suck it old man winter."

Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,098 times
Smile wisc winters!

i wouldnt leave wisc i love the seasons, my fiance on the other hand wants it like 70 or higher year round. hes bound and determined were moving when we get older. but im sure ill wear the pants by then and he will deal....ill buy him a snuggie, one for each day of the week!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
The length of Wisconsin winters is the reason I didnt move there. I would love to live up around Iron River or Eagle River! A fisherman/beer drinker/northwoods loving guy's paradise! But these old bones just cant take the long winters anymore. OH! To be able to fish,drink Leinies and eat REAL bratwurst all day and then cozy up in a cabin with some sweet lady at the end of the day! That would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee