Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Favor A Freeway Bridge Over LK Michigan to Muskegon?
Yes, I wouldn't have to go through Chicago anymore 36 53.73%
No, I'm a party pooper! 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,567,845 times

Advertisements

Lake Express round trip fares are $128 for each adult and $165 for the car, kids are free. For us that's over $400.

The OTHER ferry is 90 bucks one way for adults and a hundred bucks for the car, so two adults and a car round trip is $560. Too rich for my blood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntr View Post
Lake Express round trip fares are $128 for each adult and $165 for the car, kids are free. For us that's over $400.

The OTHER ferry is 90 bucks one way for adults and a hundred bucks for the car, so two adults and a car round trip is $560. Too rich for my blood!
They charge you $100 for each adult? Might as well fly LOL.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
In addition to the type of toll that would have to be charged, the weather would present major problems on a bridge going over that much water. Is there even another bridge anywhere else like this? The closest thing that i can think of is the Keys. But bridges there go from island to island and they do not get the snow, wind, fog, and ice that a bridge like this would get on a regular basis.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Somebody tell Obama about this project. Sounds like the kind of thing he'd put in the stimulous bil...

Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,274 times
Default Sheboygan to Muskegon!

Chicago has way, way too much car traffic and it is onlygoing to get worse. For people in Milwakee, Madison, Minneapolis, etc. who would need to drive to points east (Detroit, Toronto, etc.) the only option is to follow the Tri-state Freeway through Chicago and NW Indiana. Yes, there is a ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon, but this only runs 3 times a day, is expensive, and doesn't run November - March.

I would love to see a bridge, series of bridges, or ferries from the point of land near Sheboygan to the point of land north of Muskegon. A single bridge doesn't make sense, however if you filled in the shallower areas with rock, sand and dirt to extend the points farther out, this would narrow the spans of possible bridges. You could also pay for part of this by selling more lakshore properties to the ultra-rich! I could envision a series of islands across the lake, joined together with small bridges, with a much larger bridge across the main shipping channel near the center of the lake. If a large bridge is too expensive, then a car ferry across 20-30 miles of water near the center would be acceptable, however this wouldn't help winter driving.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I know it's 80 miles across but if it were possible?
If all things were possible I would rather have a hover car.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I think it's funny how people moan about "driving throught Chicago" as if it was a ten hour detour. Everytime I have driven through Chicago I have PLANNED my trip to avoid rush hour there and it has been a breeze. If I recall correctly I hit Elgin at 4AM and was in Indiana by 5AM, and the roads were empty.

Now, the bridge would not be feasible not only for costs but let's be honest, how much demand is there really from traffic from Wisconsin to Michigan? Minimal at best. But regardless, it would need to be a Causewy type crossing in shallower waters...but also think what kind of wind there would be out there in the winter, and the bridge would cross the winds perpendicularly, that structure would have to hande some of the most extreme weather on Earth out in the middle of the lake in winter, plus the pressure of the ice getting pushed and crashed into the structure.

Remember that Palm Island shaped resort city they built in Dubai so they could have more waterfront property? And the problems they had with storms eroding it? Well that was in shallow coastal areas, imagine in the middle of the lake.

A project like this would be a wonder of the modern world if it could be done, personally I always fantasized about a bridge linking Miaimi to Cuba, and from Cuba to Haiti, on down to Puerto Rico and the Lesser Antilles, connecting them to the North American continent. Now that would be cool!!! lol

Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
I'm so done with bridges and freeways. A bridge on the lake would be a traffic nightmare here on the eastside because that is most likely where it would empty out. The upkeep would be horrendous. Look at our bridges and freeways now. Where would the money come from? The shrinking taxbase?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
I'm so done with bridges and freeways. A bridge on the lake would be a traffic nightmare here on the eastside because that is most likely where it would empty out. The upkeep would be horrendous. Look at our bridges and freeways now. Where would the money come from? The shrinking taxbase?
It's a hypothetical thread not really possible and even if it was nobody would want to pay for it.

You're so done with freeways and bridges? please don't tell me you favor tearing down the Hoan?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
It's a hypothetical thread not really possible and even if it was nobody would want to pay for it.

You're so done with freeways and bridges? please don't tell me you favor tearing down the Hoan?

Oh no. What I meant was I think whatever he have that works well, we should keep and keep in good repair, increase if necessary existing lanes or find other solutions. Constantly look at what we have and use it wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee