Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times

Advertisements

Alright, so you can go to pretty much any MKE-exclusive area "lifestyle" site and get opinions on the best MKE metro area fish fries.

However, I would be eager to entertain what CD Forum'ers thought were the best fish fries in the area. Moreoever, not just who serves 'em, but WHY.

NOTE: I am NOT interested in a Madison area or Stevens Point area or Kenosha area or Fox Valley area 'fry. Just MKE metro. Moreover, I am certainly not interested in something out of state. Just MKE metro. Finally, I am not interested in a Door County fish boil...just a MKE metro area fish fry. And why.

I was here from '99 - '03 and was a *huge* fan of the Brown Bottle Pub's Friday Night Fish Fry. The big problem is...the place is no longer in business. So I am SOL there.

I actually used to to the Chancery fish fry quite a bit which wasn't all too bad. I do realize they are a chain though...although a local chain.

I have been back here since mid-07 and partially for budgetary reasons (wife stays at home with 2 young kids) I have not hit a ffry since coming back. However, I just landed a position here with an enormous salary increase, so I am feeling the taste of fried fish in my gullet again.

So folks...a) where is the best fish fry / fish fries in metro MKE, and b) WHY???

(I add the why component because I always hear prattling on about "Serb Hall" but is that because it actually is a superior fish fry, or because it is "where we've always gone")...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
I don't know about best, but the worst has to be Creme City Custard on S 84th street and greenfield. disgusting.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
I like Serb Hall, but I fall into the "where we've always gone" category. When I was a kid my grandparents lived on the South Side and I remember we always went out for fish at Serb Hall if we were in Milwaukee on a Friday. It's just a family tradition and a Milwaukee institution, over 50 years old. The Serb Hall website also says its the world's largest fish fry. The food is pretty straight forward (fish, potato, coleslaw, rye bread), nothing groundbreaking going on in that kitchen. Just deep fried goodness.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,436 times
I personally find Serb Hall overrated. The building itself is an institution and a real gem. It should be named a UN Global Heritage Site, as a living testament to Eastern European-American culture. I particularly enjoy the Hall of Presidents. But in all honesty the fish is not the best anywhere. It's good, but not great. Everyone should go to Serb at least once just for the experience.

The Lakefrtont Brewery fish fry is one that has better fish than Serb, and an atmosphere that is out of this world. You sit at huge communal tables, drink delicious Lakefront beer, and listen and dance to a live polka band. I've noticed over the years the Lakefront fish fry has become very popular among families with little kids. The young'ns have blast whoopin' it up on the dance floor.

As much as I want to support my City of Milwaukee businesses, I have to say the best fish fries in the area lie west, in the Lake Country. There's a little bar and restaurant out in Sussex on Main Street that I went to once that was out of this world.

Ultimately, however, my personal favorite fish fry lies outside the metro, at the Avenue Bar in Madison. I haven't been there in a number of years, but the fish there is superb.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
The Lakefrtont Brewery fish fry is one that has better fish than Serb, and an atmosphere that is out of this world. You sit at huge communal tables, drink delicious Lakefront beer, and listen and dance to a live polka band. I've noticed over the years the Lakefront fish fry has become very popular among families with little kids. The young'ns have blast whoopin' it up on the dance floor.
I have heard some very enticing things about the Lakefront Brewery fish fry...I have never been to it. I think this might be the final hook that gets me to go try it.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I also really like the Lakefront Brewery Fish Fry, but I am not sure if it is because the fish is good or I have a nice buzz before I actaully eat any food (which makes all food better). I want to go there with my little ones next time we go (ages 2, 2, & 4), they'll have fun on the dance floor. I have only been there with adults in the past,

What is the name of the place in Sussex that you liked? Maybe Kilarney's?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Edit: I noticed that the request included "why", so I put it after my recommendations. Pardon moi if the style isn't worthy of the Saturday Evening Post...

My requirements are downtown or the East Side/North Shore. I prefer restaurants/pubs instead of "halls", so I'm not going to rate the big hall-type places.

I'm going slightly off topic to touch on what was the best fish fry, then I'll go on to what I like presently. M&M club was the best until the owner sold it a few years ago and the restaurant became an Irish pub. Since then I've only had a few Friday night fish fries in Milwaukee. I never found a fish fry I liked as well as M&M's all-you-can-eat and the omission of M&M from the Milwaukee menu reduced my fish fry-eating frequency by about 90%.

The Chancery was good, haven't eaten there since the Downer Ave. store closed, and I'm not driving to Mequon. Why the Chancery? Tasty, quick, cheap. They also used to have an all you can eat special for shrimp, on some other night, and I'm pretty sure there was a happy hour attached to drinks.

The County Clare has a good Irish-influenced fish fry (if they are still doing it). I liked it a lot when I had it. I'm a big fan of the County Clare, both the restaurant/pub and the hotel itself. All their food is good, and plenty of beer to choose from.

I also like the fry at Klinger's East on Locust St just west of Humboldt. Reasonably priced drinks too.

I have not had a fish fry since 2008, though, so this information may be obsolete.

Last edited by 43north87west; 02-26-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
M&M club was the best until the owner sold it a few years ago and the restaurant became an Irish pub.
Where was the M&M?? When did it close?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Congrats on your new position, EP!

I agree with those who say the Serb Hall fish fry is overrated. It's good to go once for the atmosphere and experience, but the fish fry itself is really unspectacular.

Because of dietary preferences, I rarely go to fish fries. But I've been to the one at Turner Hall a couple of times and really enjoyed it. It's pricy, but there are options for lightly breaded perch, walleye, etc., and potato pancakes. It's the variety of fish, the light/flavorful breading, and potato pancakes that do it for me.

Another place with a good fish fry is the Centennial, in Mequon near my house. As with Turner, there are different options, and I don't feel like I've guzzled a jug of Wesson afterwards.

Benji's also has a good fish fry--not great, but more than serviceable for those looking for a little extra batter.

I've heard that the fish fries are good at Kegel's Inn, Comet Cafe, Erv's Mug, and various other places, but I've never been.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Where was the M&M?? When did it close?
Prime location--northeast corner of N. Water St. and Erie. It was a gay bar, with a restaurant. The atmosphere was very cool in the restaurant, which was a glass atrium type design. There was an outdoor space too, if I remember correctly. It's probably still similar, just an Irish pub, or whatever it is now. I haven't been in there since it changed hands. I think it closed in mid 2006 after something like 30 years of business. It was around long before the Third Ward was a place someone would want to live in.

The owner sold out of the business a few years prior as I understand it, but still owned the building. I think the restaurant and bar closed around the time he sold the building for $990k in 2006. Not bad for a bar in what used to be a seedy warehouse area.

Last edited by 43north87west; 02-26-2009 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee