Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Can someone help me understand this fascination with moving from the upper Midwest to Florida?
Yes I can, In Florida only 3 months are deathly hot and at night time you can go out with no problem. Here at night it gets colder than it was during the day. In Florida even if it's 99 which in Miami has never broke a 100 degrees as long as your in the shade who cares.

Quote:
Ok wait! You're a die hard Milwaukee fan but are ready to turn your back on the city because of the weather?

What aren't you sharing with the board?
That's it, that's how important weather is too me. I hate winter more than I hate anything else. I like to be outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 29,831 times
Winter is definately what you make of it. But if you are more comfortable to be too hot than too cold, I can see why you might not want to deal with the cold so much in mMilwaukee when you can go somewhere else much warmer. That is why I am leaving, thta and the fact that I enjoy restoring, driving, and racing performance cars, and that doesn't mix to well with roads LOADED with salt half the year and there's lots of snow (rwd sports and muscle cars do not not move well in snow)

Old 03-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Winter is definitely what you make of it.
True however for me "portly short" you would think I would be warm all the time however I'm like a woman who is always cold. In my Saab I keep the heat on full blast and at 82 degrees. Sometimes I keep the sunroof wide open so I can catch some rays and with the heat on full blast and for a split second I feel like I'm back in Miami.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:15 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,497 times
I totally get it. At least with the heat you get sunshine. With the snow you get nada. With a lot of snow, you get double nada. And with a blizzard you get bummed out. We lived in Ann Arbor for several years and lemme tell you when it stormed, it reeeealllly stormed. It stormed so bad one year while I was in high school that the front door froze shut. We warmed it open but when we opened it, there was a snow drift of 4 feet at the front door!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yes I can, In Florida only 3 months are deathly hot and at night time you can go out with no problem. Here at night it gets colder than it was during the day. In Florida even if it's 99 which in Miami has never broke a 100 degrees as long as your in the shade who cares.
Is there anywhere on Earth where it doesn't get colder at night than it was during the day? I don't even know what the hell that means. In Milwaukee only 3 months are unbearably cold and as long as you're wearing a coat who cares?

In the end you're just trading one weather extreme for another, both of which have to be worked around to make it livable. So no, I still don't get it.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
as long as you're wearing a coat who cares?
I don't want to wear a coat, and extreme heat has never bothered me like extreme cold has. I still believe extreme heat is easy to deal with and miami is not extreme heat. IMO nov-march are terrible I can't even wear shorts for 7 months hear. So when people tell me oh it's only 2 or 3 bad months, you might as well as lock my in a room b/c it's the same amount of sunlight I'll get.

But like I said in the evening hours lets say on a extreme heat day you can go out after the sun sets or the sea breeze comes in. In winter I have to wait til spring before it's bearable.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,071 times
You gotta do whatcha gotta do- right?!
I am with Drover on this though!
When a person leaves due to "the weather".. I think there are more underlying issues going on and /or may surface later on. You may find out where you move to next it's too "hot",or too humid, you may not be happy there then.
I have lived here 40+ years, my job DEPENDS on good weather, YET you never hear me complain. I guess some can just adapt better and deal with things easier. I'll be darned if I let the weather dictate to me to move!(It dictates my job as far as WHEN I can work, BUT I already work around thatby getting another job- see problem solved!)....

I do know someone who moved due to the weather. I
think he finally realized WEATHER IS not that important to his happiness after all!
He said the older he got, the less tolerant.

Like Drover said, no matter where you go you will be giving up one thing, but (most likely) picking up another. Like my Daddy say "You can't change the wind, but you can change your attitude"

Good thing snowboarders & snowmobilers, etc aren't here, they love this weather and would wonder why anyone would want to leave. .. again, it's "to each their own".....

Don't get me wrong: who DOES like to drive in snow, have to bundle up, scrape ice off. I understand that -so.... you want to move. Ok, but so when you are in that rush hour traffic and can't go but 2 miles in 30 minutes- you going to stop driving then? What next, you don't like people in grocery stores with their cell phones gabbing away- going to stop going to the stores????
This last part is NOT directed at you personally Milw. City, it's for anyone who wants to move due to (SOLELY) the weather- in other words, were does it end? AS long as your family is supportive &in agreement, it works for you...seems like you have been thinking about it a long time, but some make rash decisions (short term) without thinking of the consequences- (long term) just laying it out there. I am sure I exceeded my 2 cents worth!
GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
When a person leaves due to "the weather".. I think there are more underlying issues going on and /or may surface later on. You may find out where you move to next it's too "hot",or too humid, you may not be happy there then.
Actually my wife also wan't to move b/c of weather but she want's San Diego and I want Florida since having lived in both cities for a full yr I prefer FLA but I'll take what ever I can get. My wife is a triathlete and marathon runner and I mountain bike so for us being outdoors most of the day is key. It's really hard to train for a marathon at the Pettit Ice Center plus it's hard to ride a mountain bike there also. I go down to Chi everyother weekend b/c I have friends there so I can deal with traffic. Last big snow storm it took me 6 hrs to get to the West Loop from the 5th ward. Oh well what are you going to do that's life I say.

What's with this underlying issues with wanting to move b/c of weather? is it too far out of the realm to think somebody might actually want to live somewhere warm without it being a psych issue.

Thanks For the rec. anyways

Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've already asked a variation of this same question elsewhere in the WI forum but I have to ask it again here:

Can someone help me understand this fascination with moving from the upper Midwest to Florida? So you move from one place that requires climate control to be habitable 6 months out of the year to a different place that requires climate control to be habitable 6 months out of the year, the main difference being which half of the year requires climate control to be habitable. To my dying day, I will never understand why it is supposedly so much more desirable to live some place that's hotter than twenty Hells in the summer. I can see why the California coast is packed with people. I don't understand the same for southern Florida, or why whole cities are springing up out of nothing in the middle of the desert.
Totally agree. Especially the whole Phoenix thing too.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 PM

I have been to phoenix, I have family out there. Phoenix to me is a lot hotter than Miami. I really enjoyed the afternoon storms and the storms in general in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee