Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times

Advertisements

Hows are the schools, quality of life, jobs, homes, neighborhoods, crime and size of West Allis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 05:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Schools are good, QOL is good, jobs are decent, Homes are very affordable, crime not really an issue there, size is decent size for a urban suburb. Now for the thing that don't show up in a fact sheet.

West Allis has a rep whether it's right or wrong it's stigma is 1980's mullet people or "Stallis Trash".
the west side of WA doesn't look bad either does the east side but it's the most typical Midwestern blue collar suburb/middle class. Housing is a great price here I have looked for myself but I just don't want to be in "Stallis". It is as middle of the road suburb you'll find in Milwaukee, not a lot of yuppies but no gangbangers just white wannabe's. Overall my opinion is a great place to raise a family, you won't feel like you have to keep up with the Jones here. If I were to buy I would buy west of S.108th street for no other reason just looks nicer and bigger lawns. It's safe and quiet but unfortunately their are a lot of people in the Milwaukee area that look down on Cudahy, South Milwaukee, St Francis, West Allis, Brown Deer. I know this isn't Orange County, CA but people here in the Milwaukee area can be more of a who's who's is bigger mentality than the rest of the state. IE: Brookfield types and your typical Northshore yuppie. I have no problem with either I get along with the homeless just as good as I do with George Karl. I prefer to live amongst yuppies just b/c they keep such good care of their house and lawns and their more mindful of their surroundings. I'm a neat freak so I have to live among other neat freaks and that tends to be yuppies.

Hoped that helped, sorry for the tangent.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 AM

216 posts, read 589,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Hows are the schools, quality of life, jobs, homes, neighborhoods, crime and size of West Allis?
I lived in West Allis. The people are friendly enough and all but I had to move to get my child out of that school system. She thanks me to this day for that.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM

86 posts, read 312,286 times
There are bad polluters there- one near 84th/greenfield, the other near 68th/national(?), which are difficult to live with. There is also persistent racetrack noise. The diminished quality of life will prevent monied types from ever moving into that area.

my preferred area of Stallis is parts south (s of lincoln) in-and-around 76th and 84th

Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive2Bgeeky View Post
I lived in West Allis. The people are friendly enough and all but I had to move to get my child out of that school system. She thanks me to this day for that.
Why aren't the schools any good?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM

58 posts, read 161,834 times
Quote:

look, don't live there.. it's a warn out industrial husk that has seen better times. I don't know what enviroment you live in now (if you are from Hoboken than maybe you wouldn't mind it) but hands down it has the highest concentration of belligerent, rude people I have come across. it's a city filled with the dregs of soceity. There are a couple of nice areas, but by and large it's filled with the black tennis shoe crowd, people with tatoos on there bodies simulating knife wounds etc. if you are the least bit refined with a moderate intelligence level and manners..avoid it like road kill. Someone else wrote a similar experience with it, but it's a crappy place to live

I think the south side has some charm to it, but in general I would avoid the south side, south west side and especially west allis.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
look, don't live there.. it's a warn out industrial husk that has seen better times. I don't know what enviroment you live in now (if you are from Hoboken than maybe you wouldn't mind it) but hands down it has the highest concentration of belligerent, rude people I have come across. it's a city filled with the dregs of soceity. There are a couple of nice areas, but by and large it's filled with the black tennis shoe crowd, people with tatoos on there bodies simulating knife wounds etc. if you are the least bit refined with a moderate intelligence level and manners..avoid it like road kill. Someone else wrote a similar experience with it, but it's a crappy place to live

I think the south side has some charm to it, but in general I would avoid the south side, south west side and especially west allis.
[+] Rate this post positively
If I could take away rep points I would for this post. I'm no fan of stallis but your accusations are way off. The whole south side isn't bad as you also claim.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
I think Arkadin's description is too extreme. West Allis is not all bad-in fact, there are some beautiful older homes with nice tree lined streets, sidewalks, well-maintained lots, nice hard-working people. It is a big suburb so sure you will find some "goth" looking people and strip malls that have seen better times. I think if you were interested in West Allis, take a close look at the neighborhoods, shopping areas, schools and I think you will be surprised. I know some families who have used the elementary schools and have been pleased. West allis may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I would not write it off based on one person's opinion.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM

216 posts, read 589,534 times
Quote:
They are behind in their curriculum. My daughter was behind other school districts as early as second grade! In addition, they don't prepare you for the rigors of college. I could elaborate but let's just say that less than 30% even go on to college. (This statistic may have changed but that was the last report I got from my friend that taught at West Allis Central) I'm not saying it's a bad district, but they certainly aren't in any way to be considered good, especially compared to others nearby.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM

204 posts, read 752,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin
There are a couple of nice areas, but by and large it's filled with the black tennis shoe crowd, people with tatoos on there bodies simulating knife wounds etc.
I have no idea what "black tennis shoe crowd" means, but I find the idea of people walking around with simulated knife wound tattoos to be utterly hilarious. Sadly for West Allis, it fits in perfect with the Dirty Stally image so I don't doubt its accuracy. That said, I think there's more than just a couple of nice areas. I love the older, east side of West Allis houses (bordering West Milwaukee) more than the manicured, docile suburbia of the west side bordering New Berlin. If you could put a few blocks of those on some west side lots, they'd really have something going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive2Bgeeky
They are behind in their curriculum. My daughter was behind other school districts as early as second grade! In addition, they don't prepare you for the rigors of college. I could elaborate but let's just say that less than 30% even go on to college. (This statistic may have changed but that was the last report I got from my friend that taught at West Allis Central) I'm not saying it's a bad district, but they certainly aren't in any way to be considered good, especially compared to others nearby.
There's no way that 30% figure is remotely true. I'd be interested in seeing this data. Does that factor in Hale as well as Central?

There are definitely some legitimate gripes regarding West Allis, but I have my doubts that some of the ones mentioned here are coming from unbiased sources.

I think the problem with West Allis is that it's a city that has chosen to blend in with its surroundings more than making a name for itself on its own merits, for bad and for good. The eastern edge takes after it's factory heritage, whereas you'd probably have a tough time distinguishing neighborhoods on the western edges from neighboring New Berlin. People on the outside seem to have more a problem with the social stigma of West Allis than with the institution itself. If you can get past that, there's definitely value to be had. It's just not for everyone (myself included).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee