Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Is Milwaukee getting a light rail?-501.gifIs Milwaukee getting a light rail?-milwaukee-city.gifIs Milwaukee getting a light rail?-5023.gif

roughly something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM

The more I think about it, I wouldn't have a stop in Madison it would just slow things down to pick up 20 college kids. Plus you already have badger bus and wisconsin coach lines and greyhound.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM

204 posts, read 752,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Agreed but I think in 20yrs will be more plausible. However I believe all 6 counties of the Milwaukee area freeway should be 4 lanes each way and 5 lanes in Waukesha. My beef with the whole rail thing is these dumb routes.
So your beef is no longer with the money? Makes sense since expanding freeways up to 5 lanes wide (5 lanes, here?!?!) isn't anywhere close to being a reasonable use of funds.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM

86 posts, read 312,385 times
A UW-Madison station has already been ruled out because it would defeat the purpose of high-speed.

As far as light rail routes, that's cart-before-horse. Without an RTA in place with sales-taxation authority, it won't happen in Milw, period.

As somebody mentioned, in era of rail upgrading/adoption by other cities, legislatively torpedoing rail puts Milw on an island and certainly doesn't help its image. (ie. prevailing image of a place where growth/advancement is not seen as desireable by much of the population). It reinforces it.

And Racine probably continues to die. And Kenosha remains a BR community option for Chicago, not Milw as it should be.

The ace in the hole from Milw POV, though, is still high-speed. (IF Chicago Hub is funded as expected.) Madison/Minneapolis get back on the radar and Chicago suddenly is within the magic 1-hour "bedroom community" distance. Yes, Milwaukee could become a BR community for Chicago, perhaps not in the truest sense of the word (a sleepy burb where nothing happens), but as a somewhat quieter, less populated and lower-cost lakefront option where stuff happens

On the off chance highspeed doesn't go through, it would be disastrous because then Milw cements where it is-- second banana, no connection (or time-consuming and/or expensive), to Racine/Kenosha/Madison/Minneapolis, and a slower-than-necessary slog to Chicago. And no cache at all.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,997 times
I am very interested in supporting light rail and access for all in the city. All vibrant cities have such an system to promote commerce and business in the city.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 AM

709 posts, read 656,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
So you would be perfectly fine with Milwaukee disappearing into obscurity? Because that's exactly what's going to happen unless we get with the times.

You seem to have absolutely no understanding of modern-day mass transit whatsoever. In the past, big cities like Chicago and NYC built their heavy rail mass transit systems, long before the invention of the automobile, to move millions of people from place to place. New light rail systems in cities like Portland and Denver, were mainly designed to reign in suburban sprawl through the use of TODs (Transit Oriented Developments) and ease traffic congestion on the freeways. TODs are developments that occur at or around newly constructed train stations, usually in the form of mixed-use developments such as the Bayshore Town Center. This serves to bring more people back into the city's core as well as breathe new life into poorer neighborhoods that will have rail lines running through them, similar to what Midtown Center has done for the area near Fond Du Lac Ave. Light rail is more of an economic development tool, than it is a solution for moving people from place to place, but it manages to accomplish both. Constructing a light rail system is also a signal that your city is thinking about its long-term future. Perhaps Milwaukee doesn't need light rail right this very second, but who knows what we'll need 10 years from now?

Who cares if we don't need it and can't pay for it, I want it NOW, dammit!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
So your beef is no longer with the money? Makes sense since expanding freeways up to 5 lanes wide (5 lanes, here?!?!) isn't anywhere close to being a reasonable use of funds.
5 lanes...why not? Many smaller metro areas have far more robust freeway systems. For example, Greensboro, NC. I40 is 6 and 7 lanes in some places, and even if you include the entire Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point primarily) there are over 500,000 less people than Milwaukee.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 AM

204 posts, read 752,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
5 lanes...why not?

(Touché)

Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

(Touché)
i didnt say i want or support a 5 lane freeway, just pointing out the fact they aren't unheard of in a midsize metro like Milwaukee

Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM

I say make all Milwaukee area freeways 5 lanes each way, then we won't have to widen freeways for the next 70yrs. I would do this in Kenosha county, Racine, Milwaukee, Waukesha, Washington, Ozaukee counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee