Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM

20 posts, read 70,174 times

Advertisements

We are debating moving to the Milwaukee suburbs from the Chicago suburbs for job reasons - don't have to move, but my company is making it very attractive for me to do it, so we would really like to make it work. We are muslim, have lived in 2-3 different states in the US very happily and have had great neighbors and friends in Chicago.

We have done a lot of research on the area and have been up there a few times - if we move, will likely move to Brookfield for various reasons (schools, location, shopping, home sizes, % of Asian population..). Have done a lot of reading on the forum so I sense that I may not face the same level of openness that I do where I currently live (don't want to offend anyone, so if this is a misread, happy to be proved wrong). My question is this:

1. What have others (non-white, particularly Asian) faced in similar moves to the area - total acceptance, slow acceptance, being ignored or outright hostility? I realise that the answer to this depends a lot on you yourself and your particular neighbors, etc., but would be good to some viewpoints

2. How well have your kids fared in schools in terms of finding friends, being accepted. etc..

Thanks for any help, opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Have done a lot of reading on the forum so I sense that I may not face the same level of openness that I do where I currently live (don't want to offend anyone, so if this is a misread, happy to be proved wrong).
You won't face any unwelcoming feelings by living in Brookfield, as long as you have money you'll be fine. Other suburbs I would consider would be:
Pewaukee
Elmgrove
Whitefish Bay
Bayside
Fox Point
Shorewood
Delafield
Chenequa
Oconomowoc Lake
River Hills
Mequon
Wales

Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
In my opinion, you will feel more accepted the closer you are to the actual City of Milwaukee. Brookfield is an OK suburb, but you should also consider Wauwatosa and the North Shore suburbs like Shorewood or Whitefish Bay as they seem to be more diverse than places like New Berlin or Menominee Falls, which happen to border Brookfield.

Also, I believe all of the mosques in the entire area are located within the City of Milwaukee.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Welcome to the ISM

MAS Milwaukee

Milwaukee's Islamic Center Celebrates 25 Years (http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2007-09/2007-09-14-voa30.cfm - broken link)

Milwaukee Wisconsin Middle Eastern Restaurant Casablanca On Brady - welcome lunch buffett

Welcome to Maharaja Restaurants, Milwaukee, Madison East, Madison West

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/bu...dontforce=true

Milwaukee also has a lot of restaurants that cater to middle eastern/Indian cultures

Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 70,174 times
Thanks - these comments are helpful. After talking to people, we will likely take the plunge and move to the area..

Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpd View Post
We are debating moving to the Milwaukee suburbs from the Chicago suburbs for job reasons - don't have to move, but my company is making it very attractive for me to do it, so we would really like to make it work. We are muslim, have lived in 2-3 different states in the US very happily and have had great neighbors and friends in Chicago.

We have done a lot of research on the area and have been up there a few times - if we move, will likely move to Brookfield for various reasons (schools, location, shopping, home sizes, % of Asian population..). Have done a lot of reading on the forum so I sense that I may not face the same level of openness that I do where I currently live (don't want to offend anyone, so if this is a misread, happy to be proved wrong). My question is this:

1. What have others (non-white, particularly Asian) faced in similar moves to the area - total acceptance, slow acceptance, being ignored or outright hostility? I realise that the answer to this depends a lot on you yourself and your particular neighbors, etc., but would be good to some viewpoints

2. How well have your kids fared in schools in terms of finding friends, being accepted. etc..

Thanks for any help, opinions
Don't let a few posters so strongly sway your opinions one way or another. This should be one of many outlets you use in your research to form your own opinions, and, you should always consider the source in anything in life. In fact, it would even help to consider individual posters posting history. Be careful how quickly one comment here or there will sway you on here.

I am not Asian, though I have many Asian friends, and imo I do not believe you would find a dramatic change from Chicago burbs to Brookfield. Brookfield could be any of the upper middle class to wealthy West of 294 Chicago burbs. There will be less Asian people, both East and South Asian in Milwaukee, however there will be much less people period too. You'd likely fit in just fine in Brookfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee